Greetings true believers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2012, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2012 05:40 PM by Goddammit.)
Heart Greetings true believers
Hello all,

I signed up for this board as an avenue to share and to read ideas/opinions of like-minded individuals. It's great that places like this exist
as a hub for the atheist minority, thank "god" for the internet right? Wink

Here's my story:

I'm 25 years old from the northern part of Virginia, which is right at the edge of the Bible Belt, and luckily it's a more progressive and modern area compared
to the southern counterpart. My parents were very apathetic to religion but sent me to a religious private school until the 8th grade because they felt
I would receive a better quality of education, not so much to learn about God. So from an early age, Christianity was a large part of my educational curriculum.
Even while being taught about God, I must have had the Satan gene in me, because I really never accepted Christianity into my life and frequently pointed out
inconsistencies and asked the wrong questions.

In high school and college, I never really put much thought into the idea of religion or the nonbelief, I admit, I was more concerned about girls if anything. I think
my reason for adopting atheism was that I was getting older and more mature in my 20's and began to notice more issues that were happening here in America, as
well as other countries abroad. Homosexuality was the breaking point for me to finally take a stand. I'm not gay myself, but the more news stories and articles I read
about the religious right and fundamentalist Christians oppressing people just because of something as harmless as a sexual preference really sickened me.

I'm not so much an atheist for the scientific facts that disprove Creationism and any lack of evidence of God (don't get me wrong, it's a large reason why) but I chose
the path of atheism mostly due to my contempt of those who hold prejudice and do harm against others because some two thousand year old book and some bitter
old man standing on a stage told them that if you don't believe in what they tell you that you're condemned to an eternity of suffering. One of my favorite quotes
and a major reason why I became passionately atheist was from the author Elie Wiesel, who endured one of the worst kinds of oppression in modern history.

"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides.
Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

Thank you for your time.

Oh and just to add, the story behind my username is
1) It's an album by one of my favorite bands The Alkaline Trio
2) It's an appropriate username to post as on an atheism message board
3) It's hilarious seeing "Welcome back Goddammit" on the top of the page everytime I log in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Goddammit's post
18-06-2012, 05:39 PM
RE: Greetings true believers
(18-06-2012 05:28 PM)Goddammit Wrote:  Hello all,

I signed up for this board as an avenue to share and to read ideas/opinions of like-minded individuals. It's great that places like this exist
as a hub for the atheist minority, thank "god" for the internet right? Wink

Here's my story:

I'm 25 years old from the northern part of Virginia, which is right at the edge of the Bible Belt, and luckily it's a more progressive and modern area compared
to the southern counterpart. My parents were very apathetic to religion but sent me to a religious private school until the 8th grade because they felt
I would receive a better quality of education, not so much to learn about God. So from an early age, Christianity was a large part of my educational curriculum.
Even while being taught about God, I must have had the Satan gene in me, because I really never accepted Christianity into my life and frequently pointed out
inconsistencies and asked the wrong questions.

In high school and college, I never really put much thought into the idea of religion or the nonbelief, I admit, I was more concerned about girls if anything. I think
my reason for adopting atheism was that I was getting older and more mature in my 20's and began to notice more issues that were happening here in America, as
well as other countries abroad. Homosexuality was the breaking point for me to finally take a stand. I'm not gay myself, but the more news stories and articles I read
about the religious right and fundamentalist Christians oppressing people just because of something as harmless as a sexual preference really sickened me.

I'm not so much an atheist for the scientific facts that disprove Creationism and any lack of evidence of God (don't get me wrong, it's a large reason why) but I chose
the path of atheism mostly due to my contempt of those who hold prejudice and do harm against others because some two thousand year old book and some bitter
old man standing on a stage told them that if you don't believe in what they tell you that you're condemned to an eternity of suffering. One of my favorite quotes
and a major reason why I became passionately atheist was from the author Elie Wiesel, who endured one of the worst kinds of oppression in modern history.

"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."

Thank you for your time.
[/font]
[font=Tahoma]Oh and just to add, the story behind my username is

1) It's an album by one of my favorite bands The Alkaline Trio
2) It's an appropriate username to post as on an atheism message board
3) It's hilarious seeing "Welcome back Goddammit" on the top of the page everytime I log in.
Welcome, Godammit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Welcome Godammit. A fellow Futurama fan i see. I may need to go back to my old avatar to keep with he futurama theme Big Grin.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
18-06-2012, 05:46 PM
(18-06-2012 05:45 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Welcome Godammit. A fellow Futurama fan i see. I may need to go back to my old avatar to keep with he futurama theme Big Grin.
Your old avatar is vermin in the eyes of MORBO!
[+] 1 user Likes Goddammit's post
18-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Goddammit, it's about god damn time you got here, Goddammit!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
18-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Welcome to TTA, goddammit Smile

Great name, I love it, goddammit Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
18-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Great to see you, Goddamnit! What took you so long? Wink
18-06-2012, 06:15 PM
(18-06-2012 05:46 PM)Goddammit Wrote:  Your old avatar is vermin in the eyes of MORBO!
You sir can bite my shiny metal ass.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
18-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Howdy, neighbor. [Image: Tip-Hat.gif]

I was gonna suggest you move a couple miles north to the People's Republic of Maryland when I realized that the more infiltrators in place the better. Wink

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
25-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Welcome!

Good to have you here.

[Image: vjp09.gif]