Grilled Octopus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Grilled Octopus
Anybody likes it? I daydream about it. DroolingDrooling

With Greek salad and garlic bread. I like drinking sangria with it even tho it may not be the best choice.

[Image: 2nqutqo.jpg]

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Slowminded's post
05-09-2015, 01:39 PM
RE: Grilled Octopus
I like it but when it comes to fish/seafood I dream about tiof from West Africa and walleye from Canada.
05-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Love it! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-09-2015, 02:21 PM
(05-09-2015 01:39 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I like it but when it comes to fish/seafood I dream about tiof from West Africa and walleye from Canada.

Never had any of those two. Unsure

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
05-09-2015, 07:46 PM
I have the palate of a 5-year-old, so octopus isn't on my list in general. I've tried it just once, though.

Not meaning to harsh your buzz: I saw some research lately on octopuses being quite intelligent--solving puzzles or seeming to refuse to solve them, getting bored in captivity, ganging up to take out sharks in their territory--and I guess if I liked octopus, I would feel weird about eating it. Except that that I still eat bacon or ham, and pigs are pretty intelligent, too.

I think I may have to stop eating other animals altogether, if we find consistently that humans' intelligence is not so out of line with other animals'. Sad
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
05-09-2015, 07:51 PM
(05-09-2015 07:46 PM)julep Wrote:  I have the palate of a 5-year-old, so octopus isn't on my list in general. I've tried it just once, though.

Not meaning to harsh your buzz: I saw some research lately on octopuses being quite intelligent--solving puzzles or seeming to refuse to solve them, getting bored in captivity, ganging up to take out sharks in their territory--and I guess if I liked octopus, I would feel weird about eating it. Except that that I still eat bacon or ham, and pigs are pretty intelligent, too.

I think I may have to stop eating other animals altogether, if we find consistently that humans' intelligence is not so out of line with other animals'. Sad

Or just start eating humans too, then at least you can say you're consistent.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
05-09-2015, 07:55 PM
I once saw a Korean chick eat a live octopus. At least it was alive and trying to crawl out of the bowl when she started. I haven't been able to look an octopus in the eye since.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
05-09-2015, 08:03 PM
(05-09-2015 01:10 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Anybody likes it? I daydream about it. DroolingDrooling

With Greek salad and garlic bread. I like drinking sangria with it even tho it may not be the best choice.

[Image: 2nqutqo.jpg]

Now you done it to me! I went shopping after reading here and came home with Calamari steaks!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-09-2015, 09:06 PM
(05-09-2015 08:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  Now you done it to me! I went shopping after reading here and came home with Calamari steaks!

Calamari is not octopus. Calamari is squid. Pulpo is octopus.

I once ate octopus at the foghorn at the end of the world. Finisterre, in Galicia, Spain, got its name because the Romans believed mistakenly that it was the westernmost point of land in their known world. (There's actually a spot in Portugal that's farther west.) Anyway, there's a foghorn at Finisterre, and on the landward side of the building is a tapas bar. While some others of my group walked down to the water's edge, I could not endure the loudness of the foghorn. It is REALLY, REALLY loud. So I went into the tapas bar instead, where soundproofing made the foghorn tolerable. Galicia has excellent seafood, so I ordered an octopus sandwich, which, somewhat to my surprise, was very good. I'd never had octopus before, and ordered it because I like to try new things, and I figured Galicia would be the place. In fact, the sandwich was twice as much food as I could eat, and when I was stuffed to bursting, I gave the remaining half to someone who was hungry but didn't have any money on him.

I've had octopus since, but if it's not prepared right it can be very tough.

On Kodiak Island, Alaska, there is a marine research station with an aquarium open to the public. They have a touch tank, where you can reach into freezing-cold water and touch a lot of different marine animals. Since nobody else was there, the docent invited me into the back where I got to touch an octopus. It was to my thinking a very big one. Maybe a couple of feet long? I'm not sure. It was sticky. I expected my hands to feel sticky afterwards, but of course they were not. It was sticky because of the suckers, not because of any sticky stuff on it. It was a little bit creepy, but the docent assured me it would not hurt me, and it did not.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
05-09-2015, 09:12 PM
(05-09-2015 09:06 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 08:03 PM)Dom Wrote:  Now you done it to me! I went shopping after reading here and came home with Calamari steaks!

Calamari is not octopus. Calamari is squid. Pulpo is octopus.

I once ate octopus at the foghorn at the end of the world. Finisterre, in Galicia, Spain, got its name because the Romans believed mistakenly that it was the westernmost point of land in their known world. (There's actually a spot in Portugal that's farther west.) Anyway, there's a foghorn at Finisterre, and on the landward side of the building is a tapas bar. While some others of my group walked down to the water's edge, I could not endure the loudness of the foghorn. It is REALLY, REALLY loud. So I went into the tapas bar instead, where soundproofing made the foghorn tolerable. Galicia has excellent seafood, so I ordered an octopus sandwich, which, somewhat to my surprise, was very good. I'd never had octopus before, and ordered it because I like to try new things, and I figured Galicia would be the place. In fact, the sandwich was twice as much food as I could eat, and when I was stuffed to bursting, I gave the remaining half to someone who was hungry but didn't have any money on him.

I've had octopus since, but if it's not prepared right it can be very tough.

On Kodiak Island, Alaska, there is a marine research station with an aquarium open to the public. They have a touch tank, where you can reach into freezing-cold water and touch a lot of different marine animals. Since nobody else was there, the docent invited me into the back where I got to touch an octopus. It was to my thinking a very big one. Maybe a couple of feet long? I'm not sure. It was sticky. I expected my hands to feel sticky afterwards, but of course they were not. It was sticky because of the suckers, not because of any sticky stuff on it. It was a little bit creepy, but the docent assured me it would not hurt me, and it did not.

When I lived in Washington State, there was a story every now and then of a diver getting killed by a large octopus, though not because it was intentionally aggressive. It usually went something like this: The diver is down under the Narrow's Bridge or some other hotspot looking for cool things to mess with, they see a big octopus, they mess with it, the octopus says to itself "Oh look, a random thing to grab onto," and then wraps a couple tentacles around the diver. The diver, unable to escape from the deceptively powerful octopus, or even get to a knife to cut himself out, eventually runs out of air and dies.

Not sure how much truth there was to the stories, but I could believe it. It was enough to keep me from messing with them when I started diving, at any rate.

'Murican Canadian