Grilled Octopus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 08:57 AM
RE: Grilled Octopus
(05-09-2015 09:12 PM)yakherder Wrote:  ...
When I lived in Washington State, there was a story every now and then of a diver getting killed by a large octopus, though not because it was intentionally aggressive. It usually went something like this: The diver is down under the Narrow's Bridge or some other hotspot looking for cool things to mess with, they see a big octopus, they mess with it, the octopus says to itself "Oh look, a random thing to grab onto," and then wraps a couple tentacles around the diver. The diver, unable to escape from the deceptively powerful octopus, or even get to a knife to cut himself out, eventually runs out of air and dies.

Not sure how much truth there was to the stories, but I could believe it. It was enough to keep me from messing with them when I started diving, at any rate.

My personal rule when diving is that I touch nothing but the water. Best to leave the critters alone. Some can hurt you, and it's just not nice to mess with wild animals.

(05-09-2015 09:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 09:15 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Come to the vegan side Evil_monster We have (vegan) cookies Heart

I've had vegan cookies, they won't win many converts.

Really? I've had wonderful vegan cookies. I'm not vegan myself, but I could go vegan if I had any motivation in that direction. Like, if a really nice woman wanted me to be her boyfriend, and asked me to go vegan. Until then, I do think that dairy and seafood make a diet more balanced. (I have not eaten meat or poultry in 48 years.)

(06-09-2015 03:28 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I try to eat seafood as fresh as possible so I waited to get to the coast before ordering it.

Madrid is sometimes referred to as Spain's 4th or 5th or whatever-th seaport because seafood is flown in fresh every day. The seafood in Madrid is as fresh as it is in Barcelona. OTOH, I didn't much care for Madrid, except for the museums. Those are amazing. But it's too big a city. I lived in Seville for a year and a half, and every time I visited Madrid I ended up catching a cold from the LOOOONG rides in the hot, humid, stuffy subway. Great seafood, though.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like daniel1948's post
06-09-2015, 02:22 PM
(06-09-2015 08:57 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Madrid is sometimes referred to as Spain's 4th or 5th or whatever-th seaport because seafood is flown in fresh every day. The seafood in Madrid is as fresh as it is in Barcelona. OTOH, I didn't much care for Madrid, except for the museums. Those are amazing. But it's too big a city. I lived in Seville for a year and a half, and every time I visited Madrid I ended up catching a cold from the LOOOONG rides in the hot, humid, stuffy subway. Great seafood, though.
Didn't know that about Madrid.
I wanted to visit Seville, looks amazing from the pictures, but we didn't have the time.
To me Madrid is ok, it's is a beautiful city , but I still like Barcelona more.

We were in Madrid for 3 days only, just managed to go to Prado , it had temporary exhibition of Picasso's paintings at the time.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
06-09-2015, 02:52 PM
[Image: 41512-AjupL_zpso7iatcwj.jpg]
06-09-2015, 03:53 PM
(06-09-2015 02:22 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 08:57 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Madrid is sometimes referred to as Spain's 4th or 5th or whatever-th seaport because seafood is flown in fresh every day. The seafood in Madrid is as fresh as it is in Barcelona. OTOH, I didn't much care for Madrid, except for the museums. Those are amazing. But it's too big a city. I lived in Seville for a year and a half, and every time I visited Madrid I ended up catching a cold from the LOOOONG rides in the hot, humid, stuffy subway. Great seafood, though.
Didn't know that about Madrid.
I wanted to visit Seville, looks amazing from the pictures, but we didn't have the time.

We were in Madrid for 3 days only, just managed to go to Prado , it had temporary exhibition of Picasso's paintings at the time.

Barcelona is the one city you should see if you have time for only one city in Spain. Especially the Sacred Family Cathedral. Gaudi, from whom we get the word gaudy, was amazing. Easy walking distance from the Prado museum in Madrid is the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, which I thought was even better. They have a saying, "If you've missed seeing Seville, you've missed a marvel."

But whereas the Spanish spoken in Madrid and that part of Spain is the most beautiful Spanish in the world, the Spanish spoken in Seville and the rest of Andalucia is the ugliest. In the rest of the country it's neither better nor worse than anywhere else in the Spanish-speaking world.

el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
06-09-2015, 04:24 PM
(06-09-2015 03:53 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(06-09-2015 02:22 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Didn't know that about Madrid.

Barcelona is the one city you should see if you have time for only one city in Spain. Especially the Sacred Family Cathedral. Gaudi, from whom we get the word gaudy, was amazing. Easy walking distance from the Prado museum in Madrid is the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, which I thought was even better. They have a saying, "If you've missed seeing Seville, you've missed a marvel."

But whereas the Spanish spoken in Madrid and that part of Spain is the most beautiful Spanish in the world, the Spanish spoken in Seville and the rest of Andalucia is the ugliest. In the rest of the country it's neither better nor worse than anywhere else in the Spanish-speaking world.

Yes, I agree. I also found Catalans to be a bit more , how should I put it....more professional. One thing that pissed me off in Madrid is that nobody speaks a word of English, I mean c'mon , people working at a tourist info post don't speak English? Half of the restaurants on Plaza Mayor have menus in Spanish only.

And women are better looking in Catalonia, with their amazing long dark hair Heart. That was my impression at least.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
06-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Why should anybody in Spain speak English?

And the women are much more beautiful in Andalucia. It's the mixed blood resulting from 500 years of Moorish occupation.

el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
06-09-2015, 07:17 PM
(06-09-2015 06:58 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Why should anybody in Spain speak English?

And the women are much more beautiful in Andalucia. It's the mixed blood resulting from 500 years of Moorish occupation.

Because English is the unofficial trade language of the world. That being said if you are going to a country at least take a crash course in the native language.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
06-09-2015, 11:49 PM
I live a 20 minute walk from the Sydney fish markets. There's not much seafood I dislike. And I adore octopus.

Australian seafood is pretty good.

[Image: dsc_4556.jpg]

[Image: 246452100_1c774fce8f.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
07-09-2015, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2015 03:09 AM by Slowminded.)
(06-09-2015 06:58 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  Why should anybody in Spain speak English?

Imo, if you work in a tourism related business and your city is visited by a few million foreigners a year you have to speak more then just one language. It should be a job requirement.
You make it sound like speaking more then your native language is a bad thing?

08-09-2015, 06:04 AM
(06-09-2015 11:49 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I live a 20 minute walk from the Sydney fish markets. There's not much seafood I dislike. And I adore octopus.

Australian seafood is pretty good.

[Image: dsc_4556.jpg]

[Image: 246452100_1c774fce8f.jpg]

Sorry but that doesn't look as appetizing as the octopus on page 1 I had that in Crete and it was delicious obviously cooked on charcoal with slivers of garlic Mmm. Drooling