Griping about the weather thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2017, 07:44 PM
RE: Griping about the weather thread
(09-01-2017 04:43 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The good news: after a week of single-digit temperatures (both above and below zero degrees F.), it's going to be warmer this week.

The bad news: We will have "unsettled weather" all week with snow changing to sleet/freezing rain changing to rain and then back again as the temperature goes up and down. At best, we'll have a slushy mess. At worst, everything will be covered with ice like last Tuesday morning.

I wish it would have stayed cold. I can dress for that. I have no clothes that will help me walk to work and back (4 miles each way) on ice.

This pretty much stinks. Are you in Canada? Does your personal income preclude a snow mobile, or something?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-01-2017, 09:57 AM
(09-01-2017 07:44 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(09-01-2017 04:43 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The good news: after a week of single-digit temperatures (both above and below zero degrees F.), it's going to be warmer this week.

The bad news: We will have "unsettled weather" all week with snow changing to sleet/freezing rain changing to rain and then back again as the temperature goes up and down. At best, we'll have a slushy mess. At worst, everything will be covered with ice like last Tuesday morning.

I wish it would have stayed cold. I can dress for that. I have no clothes that will help me walk to work and back (4 miles each way) on ice.

This pretty much stinks. Are you in Canada? Does your personal income preclude a snow mobile, or something?

Nope, southern Wisconsin. Canada might actually be better, because Canada has enough sense to let winter be winter and save the goddamn rain for summer.

Anyway, a snowmobile wouldn't help: (1) My 4-mile commute is through the city (sidewalks and streets); (2) Everything was covered with ice this morning, and we will have that on and off all week. I don't think a snowmobile would be much help navigating an icy sidewalk.

A car might help, but I have chosen to save thousands of dollars per year by not having a car. Usually that works. Bus? In theory maybe, but our bus system is only efficient if you're going downtown. Getting to work via the bus is about as fast as walking, and involves spending time on several standing-room-only buses with 20 high-school kids shouting at each other the whole time. No thanks.

Anyway, I can't wait until the next polar vortex. That I can handle. Freezing rain absolutely sucks.
10-01-2017, 09:12 PM
Nother snow storm. With lots of cold wind. Weeping

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-01-2017, 10:17 PM
(10-01-2017 09:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Nother snow storm. With lots of cold wind. Weeping

I know right??? FUCK! .

I'm so over this shit. I'll bet my kid isn't going to school tomorrow which means for me another fucking 6am robo call.

Fucking just call it already.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

10-01-2017, 11:01 PM
(10-01-2017 10:17 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 09:12 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Nother snow storm. With lots of cold wind. Weeping

I know right??? FUCK! .

I'm so over this shit. I'll bet my kid isn't going to school tomorrow which means for me another fucking 6am robo call.

Fucking just call it already.

My husband teaches at Clackamas High School kinda near Clackamas Town Center. He's figuring school will be canceled tomorrow. He's behind on a lot of his lessons with the students. They're going into extra days at the end of the year now. It looks like a blizzard right now.

[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
11-01-2017, 12:28 AM
Huge tree branch broke and nearly hit people walking down the street!

I moved a bunch of stuff away from my kitchen table and off the dining room table, because we've got a funky tree in our back yard that is lilting when it's not covered with snow.

I think it just went over...

I"m afraid to turn around.

11-01-2017, 12:35 AM
Yep a huge branch fell and landed on our hot tub.

11-01-2017, 12:38 AM
(11-01-2017 12:28 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Huge tree branch broke and nearly hit people walking down the street!

I moved a bunch of stuff away from my kitchen table and off the dining room table, because we've got a funky tree in our back yard that is lilting when it's not covered with snow.

I think it just went over...

I"m afraid to turn around.

Wow, Mom's. Hope your tree holds out. That's scary. Two huge limbs came crashing down from our maple tree in the ice storm two weeks ago or whenever it was. I've lost track of the storms. It's right next to our bedroom and it happened in the middle of the night. I jumped out of bed and ran out into the hallway. My husband slept through it. Dodgy

In our front yard we have a huge pine tree and a fir tree next to it but the wind blows it away from our house. The wind is howling out here and the snow is blowing.

11-01-2017, 12:41 AM
(11-01-2017 12:35 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yep a huge branch fell and landed on our hot tub.

Oh crap! Not the hot tub! Is it windy out there? Is that what's bringing the branches down?

11-01-2017, 12:54 AM
(11-01-2017 12:41 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 12:35 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yep a huge branch fell and landed on our hot tub.

Oh crap! Not the hot tub! Is it windy out there? Is that what's bringing the branches down?

The wind isn't too bad, it's died down a lot just in the last hour or so.

It's a heavy, wet snow. Some of the trees are having issues. I was worried about that tree. Huge branch broke off.

They're saying 8 inches by morning...we're going to have to shovel the deck.

Large tree branch broke across the street too, nearly hit people walking.

The biggest worry for me....our lights are flickering. Sad