Griping about the weather thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2017, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2017 02:39 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
RE: Griping about the weather thread
(11-01-2017 02:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We have a second story deck, which was shoveled now that the snow has stopped. Too much weight and the deck is kinda old.

But we haven't done the front walk, driveway or sidewalk. No one really bothers. Our mail is delivered to boxes at the end of the street. I'm not expecting anything (it's our slower time of the month), so it can really sit there until it's safe (probably Sunday).

Getting the deck sounds like it was a good idea if it's kinda old...heh. A friend once didn't and the results were...sub-optimal? I think that's the polite way to say "it collapsed and thankfully no one was on it".

WE had to do a while back in 2008. The dog was around then, and needed a better path to the backyard. Sad

I know one thing for sure, both Duke and mil would be probably glad and grateful that they missed this shit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-01-2017, 02:26 PM
(11-01-2017 02:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:08 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Getting the deck sounds like it was a good idea if it's kinda old...heh. A friend once didn't and the results were...sub-optimal? I think that's the polite way to say "it collapsed and thankfully no one was on it".

WE had to do a while back in 2008. The dog was around then, and needed a better path to the backyard. Sad

I know one thing for sure, both Duke and mil are probably glad and grateful that they missed this shit.

Oy...not good. And still, sorry they're gone, even if they're at least missing this stuff. Hug

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
11-01-2017, 02:28 PM
(11-01-2017 02:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 01:57 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Actually, the sidewalk/road thing is the other way around here. Either Madison doesn't fine people for not taking care of their sidewalks, or people don't care, because most of the sidewalks have been in terrible shape this week. This morning, I walked the entire 4 miles to work in the road, because most of the sidewalks were covered with ice -- either from yesterday's freezing rain, or from snow melting and running onto the sidewalk, and then refreezing. They will be icy like that until we have an extended thaw, which might not be until March or April. Meanwhile, the roads here are in pretty good shape.

We have a second story deck, which was shoveled now that the snow has stopped. Too much weight and the deck is kinda old.

But we haven't done the front walk, driveway or sidewalk. No one really bothers. Our mail is delivered to boxes at the end of the street. I'm not expecting anything (it's our slower time of the month), so it can really sit there until it's safe (probably Sunday).

I would actually prefer that people not shovel their sidewalks (unless, of course, there's a whole bunch of snow). The day before yesterday, we had an inch or two of snow (before the freezing rain), and yesterday morning, the sidewalks that were easiest to walk on were the unshoveled ones -- because you could break through the ice and get some traction on the snow underneath. The ones that had been shoveled (and were therefore just ice over bare pavement) were impossible to walk on.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
11-01-2017, 02:37 PM
(11-01-2017 02:28 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:02 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We have a second story deck, which was shoveled now that the snow has stopped. Too much weight and the deck is kinda old.

I would actually prefer that people not shovel their sidewalks (unless, of course, there's a whole bunch of snow). The day before yesterday, we had an inch or two of snow (before the freezing rain), and yesterday morning, the sidewalks that were easiest to walk on were the unshoveled ones -- because you could break through the ice and get some traction on the snow underneath. The ones that had been shoveled (and were therefore just ice over bare pavement) were impossible to walk on.

Funny you mentioned that. My son did a small portion of walkway down to the pavement and I had him put some snow back.

In 2008, he did our walkway and it became a skating rink. Yeah, not happening again.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-01-2017, 08:15 PM
(11-01-2017 02:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-01-2017 02:28 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I would actually prefer that people not shovel their sidewalks (unless, of course, there's a whole bunch of snow). The day before yesterday, we had an inch or two of snow (before the freezing rain), and yesterday morning, the sidewalks that were easiest to walk on were the unshoveled ones -- because you could break through the ice and get some traction on the snow underneath. The ones that had been shoveled (and were therefore just ice over bare pavement) were impossible to walk on.

Funny you mentioned that. My son did a small portion of walkway down to the pavement and I had him put some snow back.

In 2008, he did our walkway and it became a skating rink. Yeah, not happening again.

I was just now talking about this with my husband and then clicked on this thread. That's kinda freaky. Anyway, I saw people shoveling their sidewalks all over the place today when I took a walk to the store. What for? It's better to have the thick snow rather than a thin coating of ice on the sidewalk.

We're supposed to get East winds again! Weeping I'm so sick of the freezing cold east winds. AHHHHHHHH! Please, Make it stop. Sadcryface And then I heard on the news it's going to get down to 15. Wind chill could bring it down to about 8.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-01-2017, 08:17 PM
Wind chill hit 72F today...I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

Tongue

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-01-2017, 08:21 PM
(11-01-2017 08:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Wind chill hit 72F today...I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

Tongue

You are courting an early demise caused by somebody with fingers that are still frozen when they get to Florida. Yes
[+] 5 users Like Fireball's post
11-01-2017, 10:07 PM
(11-01-2017 08:17 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Wind chill hit 72F today...I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

Tongue

Hey, good news! We have an ice sickle over two feet long hanging from our front door eves. I could break it off and stab you with it. La de da....la de da. Girl_nails

Tongue

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
11-01-2017, 10:18 PM
Guess I shouldn't mention that it was 75 when I left work today.

Bechased

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-01-2017, 09:33 AM
(11-01-2017 10:18 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Guess I shouldn't mention that it was 75 when I left work today.

Bechased

We'll cut you some slack because you went through hail (sic) a while back. Full Circle, on the other hand, ...
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post