Griping about the weather thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2017, 12:25 PM
RE: Griping about the weather thread
(07-02-2017 09:07 AM)julep Wrote:  Watching the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen. They're more like snowclumps. Seriously, it looks like some of them are 3-4" in diameter.

Yeah, those were fat flakes. We were supposed to get sleet and freezing rain, but no sign of it yet.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Not my dog, but indicative of the weather here right now:

http://i.imgur.com/3R4nmdl.gifv
Find all posts by this user
07-02-2017, 02:29 PM
(07-02-2017 12:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2017 09:07 AM)julep Wrote:  Watching the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen. They're more like snowclumps. Seriously, it looks like some of them are 3-4" in diameter.

Yeah, those were fat flakes. We were supposed to get sleet and freezing rain, but no sign of it yet.

Oh - now we have sleet. Thumbsup

07-02-2017, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2017 02:39 PM by Loom.)
It's 60 degrees again. Normally low 30s right now. My blueberry bush is budding. If that keeps up, no blueberries Sad

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
07-02-2017, 10:04 PM
Snow, sleet, and freezing rain today - tonight it's all turning to ice.

Tomorrow will be in the 50's. Shocking

Thursday comes a nor'easter with 6-12 inches of snow. Blink

Dafuq? Ohmy

07-02-2017, 10:20 PM
It's been upper 70s to 80 the last couple days and tomorrow is to be the same. Then a slight drop in temp for a day and back up again.

Weirdest winter since I have lived here. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
07-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Sunday I crossed the Cascades on White Pass, during a winter storm warning. It was not too bad really, snow and ice on the road but not too much in the way of traffic.
Then I crossed over the Umptanum ridge between Yakima and Ellensburg, and it was chains required for the trucks. It was blowing fine snow on ice, poor visibility, and very steep hills and valleys. That highway goes up and down more than it goes flat. I had the studded snows on my truck, 4WD, and I had no problems. Everybody else was properly freaked out. On the way down the last grade, I came around the corner to about a dozen cars spun out and in the ditches.
Yesterday it was about 15, and today we started at 8.
I climbed a 100' steel ladder with harness on, into the tower crane both days. The hatches are so small and I'm not, so I chose to climb in a T-shirt. Tomorrow I will put my coat over the harness and push it ahead of me through the tight spots.
07-02-2017, 11:47 PM
We're getting too much rain. Area flooding and now several landslides in our area. More rain coming tomorrow. We might need sandbags...but...then again...

If the mountain goes in front of my house, I'll just let it be known nature fucking hates me.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-02-2017, 06:51 AM
I dunno if it's climate change, or what ---

But, I make maple syrup - and every year I've had to tap earlier, and earlier.

For the sap to flow - you need below freezing temperatures at night, and above freezing during the day.

If it warms up to much, for too long (like above freezing for several days) -- the trees will begin budding - and once they do, the sap becomes bitter and not worth cooking down.

I'm getting ready to head out right now - I've got two more major lines to run and I'll be pretty much done tapping trees. Then we start collecting and boiling.

It used to be we'd tap at the end of March. According to the forecasts - if a guy waited that long, he'd get dust instead of sap.....

Sad

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-02-2017, 06:54 AM
If we could just have a week of the cold winter weather others are having perhaps the pollen would calm down enough that I wouldn't be dealing with spring allergies in early February. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat