Gross Egocentricity.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Gross Egocentricity.
All religions are grossly egocentric.

In the majority of cases a cosmic god, gods, goddess, force, power or whatever, is seen as having an ultimate power of some description by which humans, through their fear, adoration, sense of awe, speculation, allegiance, studentship, or whatever ......may eventually access a perfect cosmic phenomenon.
For some, god is revered simply because of his omnipotence.... Do it or burn!
Others see god as perfectly good. How on earth can a perfect wholistic cosmic goodness be comprehended by mere mortals?
Another godly value is omniscience. If god's knowledge is out of time and space then this ineffable status cannot be in any way utilized practically in terms of its intrinsic essence.

Yet religious people are quite happy to worship a perfect cosmic god, just because the gurus, priests, masters, theology professors et al come up with magic, or highly spurious arguments.

If all is in a state of flux than perfection, a stagnant man made phenomenon, cannot be aligned to ongoing creativity. Your everyday theist would lock you into an end time or an end beyond extinction and this is beyond our comprehension and hence something purely speculative and not conducive to pedagogic or hallucagenic prognosis as to what really may be out there.

An infinite nunber of things are possible within infinity and contrary to Einstein' s statement god may well play dice , albeit a highly subtle type of dice.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2011, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2011 06:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Gross Egocentricity.
(09-12-2011 04:43 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  All religions are grossly egocentric.

Gross over-exaggeration. Don't think Buddhism or Hinduism are egocentric (except in the universal or pantheistic sense). Don't know nothing about Shintoism but I'm guessing it ain't either. I'm guessing that the egocentrism is limited to the Abrahamic religions.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-12-2011, 06:41 PM
(09-12-2011 06:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Gross over-exaggeration. Don't think Buddhism or Hinduism are egocentric (except in the universal or pantheistic sense). Don't know nothing about Shintoism but I'm guessing it ain't either. I'm guessing that the egocentrism is limited to the Western Judeo-Christian religions to include Islam.

I'm inclined to agree with Woof. Buddhism and Hinduism are to me largely philosophy like tao, but some Buddhists I've encountered could really use a toning down of the ego. Wink

One doesn't get that kind of stuff with Set. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-12-2011, 10:57 PM

Gross over-exaggeration. Don't think Buddhism or Hinduism are egocentric (except in the universal or pantheistic sense). Don't know nothing about Shintoism but I'm guessing it ain't either. I'm guessing that the egocentrism is limited to the Abrahamic religions.
The Hindus, particularly the high caste, have very high egos.
The Buddhists are very tricky; they claim not to believe in a conventional god but in a sly way they do.Dodgy
10-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Shinto is the Japanese religion. It centers around the Japanese emperor as a God, so it's very racially-oriented and exclusive. I think that qualifies it as egocentric the same way that Judaism is.

I was arguing with my little brother (an Xian) about evolution yesterday, and he tried to make a case that we are "more evolved" than every other creature on Earth. I repeated the same things that Dawkins does in The Greatest Show on Earth; I told him that there's no objective way to measure such a thing, as all creatures on Earth have been evolving for the same amount of time... I couldn't convince him to take a less egocentric position, because he simply got angry any time I named an example ... Like the survival of cockroaches compared to human survival - "Are you trying to tell me that cockroaches are better than humans?" "At surviving a nuclear blast? At proliferating in any environment? Yes and yes. They'll probably outlive our species."

So.... yeah. Religion teaches people to be egocentric.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Consider, too, the human tendency to equate might with right. That is, whoever is in a position to do most harm, at any given moment, is seen as the ascendant species or nation or leader or godhead. Top of the food chain = most evolved*. Power = sanctity.

* Every living thing is the most evolved of its kind, to date, or it wouldn't be living.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
(10-12-2011 09:07 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Consider, too, the human tendency to equate might with right. That is, whoever is in a position to do most harm, at any given moment, is seen as the ascendant species or nation or leader or godhead. Top of the food chain = most evolved*. Power = sanctity.

* Every living thing is the most evolved of its kind, to date, or it wouldn't be living.

The tendency you mention makes up the very fabric of the ideology we are led to believe is liberating us. In many ways we are caught between a rock and a hard place and our options are quite limited.

Ideologies can use religion, by virtue of its nebulous nature, to achive more clout.
Hitler used Christianity in some ways to achieve his goals.
As for Stalinism, I believe the reverse took place with the god of materialism replacing the spiritual one and leading to the mass purges.
I hope I am wrong but I am tipping the same or worse for Libya.
12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
Wait a second. I'm grossly egocentric.....does......does that mean I'm a religion? HOLY CRAP I'M A RELIGION! I can finally get tax cuts form the government and legitimize all those people worshiping me. sweet.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 3 users Like Hamata k's post
12-12-2011, 10:18 PM
With your rampant ego and probing mind why not set up a new tax free religious cult?
I hear Erxomai is always looking for a gig.Rolleyes
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
12-12-2011, 10:27 PM
(12-12-2011 10:18 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  With your rampant ego and probing mind why not set up a new tax free religious cult?
I hear Erxomai is always looking for a gig.Rolleyes

Yep, I think it's 100 people and away you go...
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post