Ground Zero Mosque

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2010, 03:22 PM
RE: Ground Zero Mosque
Do they affect it? Yeah, probably. Should they? Probably not.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2010, 04:56 AM
(19-08-2010 09:57 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:My opinion about this issue isn't affected by me being an atheist, it is affected by me being a Jewish Israeli.
I might be having sex with a comma, but how can you be jewish and atheist at the same time?

Green said it pritty right, but I don't call Judeism a "race", I call it "nationality".
Sure, there is a religion in the Judeism, but religion isn't everything. In matter of fact, I consider the religion to have the most minor part in the whole Jewish nationality.
I am atheist by my faith, I am Jewish by my blood and Israel is my homeland.
It took me a while to understand this form of thinking so I can live in peace with all of my identities.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-08-2010, 05:08 AM
I don't agree with building houses of worship from a non-religious perspective, however, I am not opposed to people building them, as they have all legal right to worship whomever/whenever/however they please. I am not opposed to the building of the mosque, as there are no legal issues prohibiting the building of it. However, I am willing to donate money to whoever builds a billboard across from the mosque with all of the controversial Muhammad cartoons pasted on it.

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
20-08-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:However, I am willing to donate money to whoever builds a billboard across from the mosque with all of the controversial Muhammad cartoons pasted on it.

That is absolutely hilarious.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-08-2010, 11:14 AM
(20-08-2010 07:16 AM)BnW Wrote:  
Quote:However, I am willing to donate money to whoever builds a billboard across from the mosque with all of the controversial Muhammad cartoons pasted on it.

That is absolutely hilarious.

LOL! Agreed! xD

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
20-08-2010, 06:07 PM

When I first heard this my gut reaction was to get very angry. I've since received better info about what is really going on. First off its not a classical mosque (spires, golden dome) and second its not at ground zero, but several blocks away. A classical mosque over-looking the hole at ground-zero is the vision I had in my head when I first heard the story break.

But I think all of this discussion...fear mongering...whatever we want to call it...is besides the point. The main point is that their right to build this is protected by the constitution; whether we like it or not. If the politicians are able to force any change on this then I am concerned about who they will be going after next...like us (atheists). This could be a major erosion of our constitutionally protected rights. All Americans should be very concerned about the outcome of this.
Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Well said and could not agree more.

I am curious about one thing: if it was overlooking ground-zero would your opinion change? Or would the civil liberties concern trump your anger?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-08-2010, 08:37 PM

(20-08-2010 08:28 PM)BnW Wrote:  Well said and could not agree more.

I am curious about one thing: if it was overlooking ground-zero would your opinion change? Or would the civil liberties concern trump your anger?

It would increase my anger but does not change my opinion on their rights.
Quote this message in a reply
20-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:First off its not a classical mosque (spires, golden dome) and second its not at ground zero, but several blocks away.

Oh, well then, never mind! I was only upset in that I assumed it was being made as part of the memorial on the site. If it's blocks away then I don't really care, they have every right to along with any other religious sanctuary. But like I said before, I wouldn't stand for any permanent house of worship (mosque, church, synagogue, Buddhist temple, Shinto shrine, etc.) at a place where we're to honour our fallen countrymen, but I understand and support individual prayers and stuff at the memorial site.

My main point, I suppose, is making sure that the memorial doesn't transform from a memorial to our lost loved ones into a memorial for religious propaganda (even well-meaning propaganda). Since it doesn't look like it's going that way, I apologize for not looking deeper into it to see that it wasn't part of the site and I withdraw my upset-ness. =P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
21-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Quote:First off its not a classical mosque (spires, golden dome) and second its not at ground zero, but several blocks away.
Sorry, I thought it was going to be built at ground zero, since thread name is Ground Zero Mosque. Why call it that if its not gonna be built on ground zero, is it just some story for trash-magazines to write big headlines about?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.