Ground Zero Mosque
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-08-2010, 06:46 PM
RE: Ground Zero Mosque
I think they should be allowed to build it just because America does have freedom of religion so it is their right. I also say let them build it because if it was a Christian church everyone would be saying what a great idea it is.
Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Really, if one subscribes to the ideals supposedly espoused in the US Constitution, there isn't any rational justification to oppose it. Whether or not muslims are making some puerile gesture of defiance by putting a meeting space near 911 is nothing anyone is ever going to prove. The only argument that makes sense is that a certain so-called patriotic group of americans is using this as a wedge issue to rile up the snake charmed masses. The gay issue has run out of steam, so now we have to make an issue of a different group of wild eyed demons to rape our precious precious way of life.
24-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Sadly, or Rightfully the law states there is nothing wrong with them Building it there. And it is not a Mosque, it is an Gym from what I am reading.

Personally, I don't care. I don't see what the big deal is. There are Christian Churches within a Block of Oklahoma City Bombings, not one person said.. They need to be torn down, that is offensive. Why can't a Islam Gym be build?

There is only one way we can ensure it doesn't get build there.. Ban all religious building from American Soil. Or Do what the law currently states. Why is this a debate?
25-08-2010, 06:51 AM
I think is one of the Daily Show's best pieces on the issue so far-
08-09-2010, 10:15 PM
There was a good interview on CNN's Larry King conducted by Soledad O'Brien. She interviewed Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, the man behind the mosque. Among other things, he denounced radicals. Fun fact, he's been an Imam in that area for 25 years and his current mosque is 10 blocks from Ground Zero.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello, I haven't read all of the replies to see if anyone is aware of this, but the Ground Zero Mosque is neither a mosque nor is it at Ground Zero. Here is an excerpt from a Jason Linkins article that mostly talks about the Koran burning guy, but addresses the hysteria around the Islamic community center too:

Earlier this year, an organization called the Cordoba Initiative were granted permission by the appropriate authorities in New York City to turn an old Burlington Coat Factory at 51 Park Place in lower Manhattan into a community center. The organization was headed by an Imam named Feisal Abdul Rauf, who has made it his life's work to stand against radical cults like al Qaeda and teach young Muslims that America is a place where one can freely worship at the appointed times and then join other faith communities in America in the task of building a great nation. The proposed community center was to include a basketball court and space for different religious communities in New York City to have interfaith relations. It was also going to have a place for Muslims to pray, if they liked.

Here is a link to the original article:

Now, the point I am trying to make is that it is dangerous to react based on what you are learning from the mainstream media in the US. The media and hate mongers (of which we have no shortage here) have used this to fan the fires of discrimination and fear.

As an atheist and reader of Sam Harris, I am not a fan of the Muslim faith. However, they do have a right to build their center, and it was approved by the appropriate authorities. I think a lot of Americans are just looking for a reason to be insulted, and the media play on that emotion.