Grow Intellectually

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2013, 07:24 AM
Grow Intellectually
There is a God. There is no God. No matter which of the preceding statements you believe in, I respect your beliefs. But as a Rationalist and an Agnostic I have intellectually evolved past both Theism and Atheism. I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable. I invite both the Theists and the Atheists to grow intellectually, to expand your consciousness, to get past your Dogma and your Faith. Rationalism, Agnosticism and Buddhism are the only true non-religions. To the Theists and Atheists who cannot let go of their beliefs, I would like to close with 2 quotes from my favorite Philosopher - Bertrand Russell:
"What is not needed is the will to believe but the need to doubt" - "You should be skeptical of everything including yourself"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2013, 07:52 AM
RE: Grow Intellectually
(31-08-2013 07:24 AM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There is a God. There is no God. No matter which of the preceding statements you believe in, I respect your beliefs. But as a Rationalist and an Agnostic I have intellectually evolved past both Theism and Atheism. I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable. I invite both the Theists and the Atheists to grow intellectually, to expand your consciousness, to get past your Dogma and your Faith. Rationalism, Agnosticism and Buddhism are the only true non-religions. To the Theists and Atheists who cannot let go of their beliefs, I would like to close with 2 quotes from my favorite Philosopher - Bertrand Russell:
"What is not needed is the will to believe but the need to doubt" - "You should be skeptical of everything including yourself"

Please stop mischaracterizing atheists.

I don't state "there is no god"; I state "I have no belief in god as there is no evidence of any gods".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 15 users Like Chas's post
31-08-2013, 07:59 AM
(31-08-2013 07:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 07:24 AM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There is a God. There is no God. No matter which of the preceding statements you believe in, I respect your beliefs. But as a Rationalist and an Agnostic I have intellectually evolved past both Theism and Atheism. I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable. I invite both the Theists and the Atheists to grow intellectually, to expand your consciousness, to get past your Dogma and your Faith. Rationalism, Agnosticism and Buddhism are the only true non-religions. To the Theists and Atheists who cannot let go of their beliefs, I would like to close with 2 quotes from my favorite Philosopher - Bertrand Russell:

Please stop mischaracterizing atheists.

I don't state "there is no god"; I state "I have no belief in god as there is no evidence of any gods".

But if he didn't mischaracterise your viewpoint, he couldn't be so sanctimonious about it.
Rolleyes

As to the OP:
1. Buddhism is a religion (it makes positive claims as to the supernatural)
2. Most atheists are agnostic
3. Rationalism is what leads to that conclusion - it cannot be absolutely 100% proven what sort of god(s) exist or do not exist, but being agnostic is not the same as your apparent ludicrous conception that the probabilities are, therefore, 50/50; being agnostic in a final sense has no bearing on the demonstrable reality that the probabilities are anything but equally weighted.

But please, disregard this and keep telling us what we think and how wrong it is. That's a great way to make friends!
Thumbsup

... this is my signature!
[+] 10 users Like cjlr's post
31-08-2013, 08:00 AM

Congratulations you have now reached troll lvl 10

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
31-08-2013, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2013 08:07 AM by DLJ.)
Huh

Buddhism is a religion for tax purposes.

Why, oh why, do I find it so difficult to let go of my non-belief?

31-08-2013, 08:41 AM
I am tired of people who use the term belief in relationship to the god no god question.

I know there is no god/s because the idea is clearly a human construct. This construct is primarily related to humans concerns about death.

I also abhor all religions because they are simply control mechanisms intended to preserve hierarchical, primarily patriarchal, control over people.

The above are not beliefs they are provable known facts to me.
[+] 4 users Like JAH's post
31-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Growing intellectually requires one to take in new knowledge. When a person digs in their heels and refuses to accept they may be wrong, and holds onto a belief out of stubbornness, they are sure to get stuck.

BA, you've been educated more than once about what an atheist is. But instead of adjusting to the new information, you continue to apply your own, incorrect definition to the word "atheist". How do you hope to grow intellectually when you refuse to even think?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post
31-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Agnostics are fucktard idiots.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
31-08-2013, 10:29 AM
(31-08-2013 08:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Congratulations you have now reached troll lvl 10

John, somebody stole your video.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
31-08-2013, 10:42 AM
(31-08-2013 10:29 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 08:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Congratulations you have now reached troll lvl 10

John, somebody stole your video.

Rev and Spiral have earned it. Eo vos absolvo.

Thumbsup

(certain other whinypants don't get absolved yet)

... this is my signature!