Grow Intellectually

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-08-2013, 06:19 PM
RE: Grow Intellectually
(31-08-2013 06:09 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 07:24 AM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There is a God. There is no God. No matter which of the preceding statements you believe in, I respect your beliefs. But as a Rationalist and an Agnostic I have intellectually evolved past both Theism and Atheism. I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable. I invite both the Theists and the Atheists to grow intellectually, to expand your consciousness, to get past your Dogma and your Faith. Rationalism, Agnosticism and Buddhism are the only true non-religions. To the Theists and Atheists who cannot let go of their beliefs, I would like to close with 2 quotes from my favorite Philosopher - Bertrand Russell:
"What is not needed is the will to believe but the need to doubt" - "You should be skeptical of everything including yourself"

You sound like the kind of person that I would see at a whole goods store in a pot shirt and hemp sandals.

I don't think being above the controversy (or so you say) makes you better than anyone else. It just seems to me that you're an incredibly pretentious individual.

Let me guess who you are based upon your words

You most likely...

Write terrible poetry.

Post your terrible poetry on facebook to show others how intellectually superior you are.

Are a vegetarian.

Don't care for politics because you view it as pointless because we should just all own a prius then we will all be enlightened as you are.

Think about deep things at night, and when you make some sort of intellectual/emotional discovery you immediately tell everyone over facebook.

Listen to binaural beats.

Believe in chakras and auras.

Think you are psychic .

Have been to an occupy (insert place here) protest.

I've seen a lot of people like you on the internet, those who think that because they are not religious nor an atheist somehow makes them intellectually superior to both groups.

Harsh. Really, really harsh.

I'm guessing it 80% accurate. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
31-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Those who believe in a god, believe that this god interacts with this world.
That interaction or lack there of is a knowable element.

How do you determine that something you know nothing about is unknowable ?
Aren't you then making a claim about future knowledge that you can't possibly know.
You are claiming that because you don't know NOW, that it means that in the unknown future, you also will know nothing.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2013, 06:31 PM
(31-08-2013 06:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 06:09 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  You sound like the kind of person that I would see at a whole goods store in a pot shirt and hemp sandals.

I don't think being above the controversy (or so you say) makes you better than anyone else. It just seems to me that you're an incredibly pretentious individual.

You most likely...

Write terrible poetry.

Post your terrible poetry on facebook to show others how intellectually superior you are.

Are a vegetarian.

Don't care for politics because you view it as pointless because we should just all own a prius then we will all be enlightened as you are.

Think about deep things at night, and when you make some sort of intellectual/emotional discovery you immediately tell everyone over facebook.

Think you are psychic .

I've seen a lot of people like you on the internet, those who think that because they are not religious nor an atheist somehow makes them intellectually superior to both groups.

Harsh. Really, really harsh.

I'm guessing it 80% accurate. Thumbsup

Gotta chime in here..

Nothing wrong with a little herb or hemp sandals, or being a vegetarian (I'm not but by 2050 we will likely all be) and I support Occupy and the solidarity they show for Greece/Spain and the awareness they bring to issue of wage stagnation, the dissolution/weakening or unions, lack of prosecution against fraudulent bankers/predatory lenders, etc. Plus being non-political and attending Occupy protests are mutually exclusive.

...But **** paying $15 for a head of lettuce at whole foods, the Pruis is a POS, everyone needs to be politically engaged, and the super natural is super stupid....and I hate shitty poetry.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
31-08-2013, 08:59 PM
I'm not very impressed by people who repeatedly start threads with certifiably false assertions and then never come back to face the inevitable disagreements that arise.

Chicken liver.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
31-08-2013, 09:51 PM
As far as I'm concerned, asserting that you know for a fact, with 100% certainty that there is no god is a bit pretentious.

That being said, there's not much difference between an atheist and an agnostic. I've never seen the point in arguing the finer points of either stance, as there doesn't really seem to be any other than what one's own semantic views happen to be, for whatever reason.

Can't we all just agree that religion is dumb and move on?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-08-2013, 11:37 PM
(31-08-2013 05:53 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 10:25 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Agnostics are fucktard idiots.

Have to say I agree.. though I wouldn't put it like that. People should just make their fuckin' minds up.

It's not about making up your mind or not.
It's about the fact that the chance of God is so mind blowingly remote that it's not worth thinking about let alone mentioning let alone labeling yourself as someone who recognizes that remote chance.

They teach gravity in schools as a fact for a reason. They don't ever mention that there is a infinitely small remote chance that gravity wont work for a couple seconds.
Why? Because to do so is fucking stupid.

Thus, to actively label yourself as something like "agnostic" or "agnostic atheist" is fucking stupid as the chance for God is so remote that to say anything other than 100% is fucktard stupid.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-09-2013, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 02:24 PM by Luminon.)
(31-08-2013 07:24 AM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There is a God. There is no God. No matter which of the preceding statements you believe in, I respect your beliefs. But as a Rationalist and an Agnostic I have intellectually evolved past both Theism and Atheism. I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable. I invite both the Theists and the Atheists to grow intellectually, to expand your consciousness, to get past your Dogma and your Faith. Rationalism, Agnosticism and Buddhism are the only true non-religions. To the Theists and Atheists who cannot let go of their beliefs, I would like to close with 2 quotes from my favorite Philosopher - Bertrand Russell:
"What is not needed is the will to believe but the need to doubt" - "You should be skeptical of everything including yourself"
Atheists are expanding their consciousness. Can you see the joy and terror, as they throw away the belief in magical sky daddy and finally stand on their own, not as Bibles with legs, but as human beings? It's beautiful. They are growing in a way they can, enjoying the freedom and not that eager to jump again into some other ism. Atheism is not a thing or word, it is normality, it is the state like being born, we are all atheists then, and they are born again as normal people.
I know what you mean, but at the stage the fresh and satisfied atheists are, they don't need it. Let them have it in the next incarnation, if you believe in reincarnation.
If you want to do as I do, that is, look out for those atheists who want to add something on top of their atheism, to be a bit more involved with (no)god, you might try to be a bit subtler. It's not easy to describe broadened consciousness without sounding pretentious. I've had my conflicts on another forum. So if you have this consciousness, let it speak for you. If you stop irritating people and start gathering positive feedback, it'll be a sign that it works.

(31-08-2013 06:09 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
You sound like the kind of person that I would see at a whole goods store in a pot shirt and hemp sandals.

You most likely...

Write terrible poetry.

Are a vegetarian.

Think you are psychic .

Sounds about like me when I was 15.
01-09-2013, 04:36 PM
If I create an imaginary god with the exact same properties as the christian god and you can't tell them apart.
They are identical in every way, except that I made mine in my mind and the christian god is believed to be real.

What can we concluded from this ?

I await your responses.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
01-12-2013, 08:36 PM
(31-08-2013 07:24 AM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There is a God. There is no God. No matter which of the preceding statements you believe in, I respect your beliefs. But as a Rationalist and an Agnostic....

You already stated your belief in some deity in another thread. You are neither a Rationalist nor an agnostic.

Quote:I have intellectually evolved past both Theism and Atheism.

Deepak-Speak woo.

Quote:I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable.

WHAT Buddhists do you claim hold this view? HINT: You are full of shit.

Quote: I invite both the Theists and the Atheists to grow intellectually,

Um you can knock off this self-aggrandizing bullshit now.

Quote: to expand your consciousness,

Oh, fucking BROTHER.

Quote: to get past your Dogma and your Faith.

Atheists have neither.

Quote: Rationalism, Agnosticism and Buddhism are the only true non-religions.

Woo.

Quote: To the Theists and Atheists who cannot let go of their beliefs,

Atheism is NOT a belief.

Quote: I would like to close with 2 quotes from my favorite Philosopher - Bertrand Russell:

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-12-2013, 09:29 PM
@BuddhistAlternative

Quote:I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable.

"If therefore the mode of anything's being exceeds the mode of the knower, it must result that the knowledge of the object is above the nature of the knower" - St Thomas, Summa Theologica question 12, article 4, prima pars

Evidently also known by the Catholics for centuries.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc