Grow Intellectually

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2013, 09:43 PM
RE: Grow Intellectually
(31-08-2013 06:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 06:15 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Well, putting it like that, I'm an agnostic atheist as well, in that I wouldn't rule the idea of God out completely. But I seriously doubt his existence...

But those who say, there's no proof either way, and so can't decide one way or the other, piss me off no end.

Yes. It ain't 50/50. Not even close.Dodgy

I find this funny because technically I agree with chas, which is weird.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
01-12-2013, 09:50 PM
(31-08-2013 07:24 AM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable.

Bertrand Russell:
"What is not needed is the will to believe but the need to doubt" - "You should be skeptical of everything including yourself"

But... you just said in another thread...
(01-12-2013 03:08 PM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  If the Question of God or the Nature of God is unknowable, then why do I believe in God ?

I thought the nature of god was unknowable... I'm beginning to doubt your integrity in this matter... perhaps you are confused.

Thank you for the Bertie Russell quotes... although, perhaps you are just as confused about him and them, as you are about yourself?

I don't know you, though. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-12-2013, 09:58 PM
(01-12-2013 09:29 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  @BuddhistAlternative

Quote:I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable.

"If therefore the mode of anything's being exceeds the mode of the knower, it must result that the knowledge of the object is above the nature of the knower" - St Thomas, Summa Theologica question 12, article 4, prima pars

Evidently also known by the Catholics for centuries.

[Image: you_keep_using_that_word.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
01-12-2013, 10:12 PM
(01-12-2013 09:58 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 09:29 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  @BuddhistAlternative

"If therefore the mode of anything's being exceeds the mode of the knower, it must result that the knowledge of the object is above the nature of the knower" - St Thomas, Summa Theologica question 12, article 4, prima pars

Evidently also known by the Catholics for centuries.

[Image: you_keep_using_that_word.jpg]

I just realized there is a fun little contradiction in saying that "we know God is unknowable"

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
01-12-2013, 10:19 PM
(01-12-2013 10:12 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 09:58 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  [Image: you_keep_using_that_word.jpg]

I just realized there is a fun little contradiction in saying that "we know God is unknowable"

How did you figure that out....? Angel

01-12-2013, 10:25 PM
(01-12-2013 10:19 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 10:12 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I just realized there is a fun little contradiction in saying that "we know God is unknowable"

How did you figure that out....? Angel

it's like describing something as ineffable. of course then nothing can be ineffable so why have the word.

- my friend Marc
01-12-2013, 10:34 PM
(01-12-2013 10:25 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 10:19 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  How did you figure that out....? Angel

it's like describing something as ineffable. of course then nothing can be ineffable so why have the word.
It's easy for one to claim one "knows" any particular supposed "qualities" about an imaginary figure whose supposed "qualities" one pulls out of one's own ass.

01-12-2013, 10:39 PM
(01-12-2013 10:34 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 10:25 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  it's like describing something as ineffable. of course then nothing can be ineffable so why have the word.
It's easy for one to claim one "knows" any particular supposed "qualities" about an imaginary figure whose supposed "qualities" one pulls out of one's own ass.

And yet we call God ineffable, so apparently we really are slackers since it's so easy.Tongue

- my friend Marc
01-12-2013, 10:41 PM
(31-08-2013 07:24 AM)Buddhist Alternative Wrote:  There is a God. There is no God. No matter which of the preceding statements you believe in, I respect your beliefs. But as a Rationalist and an Agnostic I have intellectually evolved past both Theism and Atheism. I am aware, as the Buddhists have been aware for centuries, that the nature of God is unknowable. I invite both the Theists and the Atheists to grow intellectually, to expand your consciousness, to get past your Dogma and your Faith. Rationalism, Agnosticism and Buddhism are the only true non-religions. To the Theists and Atheists who cannot let go of their beliefs, I would like to close with 2 quotes from my favorite Philosopher - Bertrand Russell:
"What is not needed is the will to believe but the need to doubt" - "You should be skeptical of everything including yourself"

What is this thing of which you speak, and which you keep ranting about ?
What is a "g0d", anyway ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
01-12-2013, 10:45 PM
I have just realized that this poster has made no less than three threads (that I have seen) that say almost the exact same thing. I do not know why this poster has chosen to do this, unless they are specifically out to antagonize this board. This is the only logical reason that occurs to me.

As an objectivist (or near enough to it) I will simply state that your idea of an incomprehensible unknowable universe is foreign to me. I am unable to grasp this concept of reality and for the sake of my sanity I will not attempt to.