Growing doubts about the possibility of a future.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
RE: Growing doubts about the possibility of a future.
Not to change the subject here, Stark - did you know there is stem cell therapy available at some clinics in Germany?
They recently helped a professional piano player with rheumatoid arthritis in his hands. He's playing piano again.

Back to the subject! I agree with Buddy and Stark, it's a motivation thing. If you really want to do it you will find a way. It might be worth questioning yourself. Find out what inspires you.

I dropped out of uni because engineering didn't motivate me. I spent time in the workforce moving around doing different facets of IT stuff. Tech-support, sys-admin, servers, fiber optics/splicing, cable hauling, network carrier installs, domain hosting, and at the moment I'm doing programming in a few languages.

Now I have more of an idea what I like and what inspires me. I like biology. I want to reprogram life itself eventually like what Craig Venter (my personal hero) is doing. I'll probably go back to uni and this time study biotechnology and specialize in genetics/microbiology.

So figure out what you REALLY want to do. It needs to be something that makes you happy when you think about it. I like programming, I like the challenge and how it keeps my mind active.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2011 09:34 PM by UnderTheMicroscope.)
Just to clear things up a little, reserves isn't my main plan for life, its the first step. I want to get into military police(don't particularly care which branch so long as I'm in the field) and get real life experience, really learn whats going on around the world with my own eyes and maybe help some of the people who are out there suffering. After that.. politics.
You may be wondering why I don't just get a summer job at McD's.... if I can go my whole life without professionally saying "would you like fries with that." than I can die happy.

(06-07-2011 06:00 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  You missed my point. I'm not asking for sympathy, or telling you that you have a reason to be depressed. I'm telling you that it's perfectly possible to be happy with a body like that. You just need to stop investing all your hopes in a single thing that is extremely difficult for you to do.

oh no I wasn't meaning to offend or anything, was just saying that I can see where you are coming from with that. I wouldn't mind my body if I weren't a toothpick. Yea I'm hoping for a lot, and it'll probably end up backfiring, but you only live once so might as well try to reach as high as you can.

(06-07-2011 06:00 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  If it's possible for you to be happy some other way, do that. You're a smart guy. I know. I've seen your posts on the forums here. You can do stuff.

There are possibilities, but I honestly can't think of anything I could do, that's a part of the appeal of the army, they'll teach me something. I'm not saying I can't do stuff, I just don't have any useful skills, I am a never ending stream of trivial facts and situational commentary.

(06-07-2011 06:05 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Seriously, find a fitness oriented gym that isn't full of "how much you bench?" guys and go for 4 solid weeks, and eat a lot more protein. You'll easily pass the physical. And there are plenty of math classes online

Funnily enough the YMCA was one of the best gyms I went to, the beef heads usually kept to themselves and the instructors were helpful. Only problem is a membership costs nearly 100 a month here, I don't have the money to keep going. I have actually wanted to get a math tutor since I took the aptitude test, I've tried the online programs and I find it difficult to keep focused unless someone is right up in my face keeping me on track, the only problem being the same as the above. Money.
I've got a treadmill which has pretty well paid for itself now, my cardio is fine, just my upper body strength that is lacking.

(06-07-2011 06:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Talk to a Navy recruiter instead.

Weird thing about that, no naval reserves in the area, the weird part being that the army recruitment office is right next to the coast guard building.

(06-07-2011 06:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I don't mean for any of this to sound like bragging, nor do I want sympathy for anything. (That's why I don't usually talk about it) I just want you to see that the only limitations are the ones you put on yourself.

Doesn't sound like bragging, sounds like someone found away around their limits Smile I always like hearing stories like those, you just need to figure out how to make everything work the way you want. Due to a moderate indent in my chest I have problems breathing sometimes, but one of the instructors at the gym I used to go to taught me this breathing exercise, so long as I keep doing that I never have problems breathing.

(06-07-2011 07:19 PM)lucradis Wrote:  But basically you either want to do it or you don't. It's important to find out now, instead of you know after the contract is signed. You usually get shot at, at some point after joining the military. Pretty big deal. Do you want it ... really?

I'm quite sure I do want to be in the army. I want a job where I can actually help people who need it, I want the experience, a paid education, (and just to be greedy) I want the money too.

(06-07-2011 08:38 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  So figure out what you REALLY want to do. It needs to be something that makes you happy when you think about it. I like programming, I like the challenge and how it keeps my mind active.

well.. I do excel in most English literature based subjects, but I'm not sure I'd call that a passion, but I do have a sort of never-ending rage towards the oppressive.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
06-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Here is a way to learn maths online for free: http://www.khanacademy.org/

I'm sure there are few among us that would be willing to coach you if you want it. The software allows you to setup people as coaches. It's one of the best learning tools available for maths at the moment.

Observer might be willing to coach you, I could give it a shot too though I haven't done anything beyond first year engineering maths. I don't know what level you are up to.

06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
grade 10 math

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

07-07-2011, 05:22 AM
I don't know what stuff is covered in year 10. If you have any trouble i could probably help. Sign up on Khan Academy and see how you go.

07-07-2011, 05:29 AM
http://www.therush247.com/membershipenrollments39.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanning_bed

Anytime OP!
07-07-2011, 06:11 AM

If you want money then skip the dreams of being a soldier and work towards developing something the military would want to buy.
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Why don't you try getting into the air national guard of air reserves? There is no physical limit to get into the branch, but you need to do pretty good on your ASVAB to get in.

Here are the websites for the ANG and Reserves... I was a guardsmen in the Air National Guard and let me tell you, it's a great program.

Please e-mail me if you have any questions.

ANG recruiting

Air Reserve Command

In the ANG I was an radio technician of C-130 aircraft.
We also have MPs, they are called security forces, and they do the same thing other MPs do.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
07-07-2011, 07:34 AM

(07-07-2011 06:31 AM)monkeyshine89 Wrote:   Air Reserve Command

I imagine the ASVAB isn't as easy as the sample questions make it appear?
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 12:37 PM
I know its not going to be easy, I have to keep working at it. I'm in Canada by the way, those links seem to be for the states.