Growing up with superstitions and woo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2015, 08:29 AM
RE: Growing up with superstitions and woo
(16-05-2015 08:25 AM)pablo Wrote:  I went to a Catholic funeral last year.
I watched the preist, in his fancy robes and silly hat, waving around a really fancy smoke bomb.
I wondered to myself how they couldn't see how this looked just as nutty as someone killing a chicken and stabbing a voodoo doll.

Because when you are in it and grow up in it--it becomes such a part of your life--it is hard to see that it is crazy. I grew up going to church, with my family, my friends, schoolmates, neighbors, etc. My parents and my church told me all about god and Jesus--why wouldn't I believe them?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2015, 08:34 AM
(16-05-2015 08:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 08:25 AM)pablo Wrote:  I went to a Catholic funeral last year.
I watched the preist, in his fancy robes and silly hat, waving around a really fancy smoke bomb.
I wondered to myself how they couldn't see how this looked just as nutty as someone killing a chicken and stabbing a voodoo doll.

Because when you are in it and grow up in it--it becomes such a part of your life--it is hard to see that it is crazy. I grew up going to church, with my family, my friends, schoolmates, neighbors, etc. My parents and my church told me all about god and Jesus--why wouldn't I believe them?

Yea, I get that.
The preist kept looking over toward me during the ceremony.
Do you think he knew I didn't belong there!? Sadcryface
16-05-2015, 08:43 AM
(16-05-2015 08:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 08:29 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Because when you are in it and grow up in it--it becomes such a part of your life--it is hard to see that it is crazy. I grew up going to church, with my family, my friends, schoolmates, neighbors, etc. My parents and my church told me all about god and Jesus--why wouldn't I believe them?

Yea, I get that.

Yeah they can smell heathens a mile a way Smile
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
16-05-2015, 08:50 AM
(16-05-2015 08:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(16-05-2015 08:34 AM)pablo Wrote:  Yea, I get that.

Yeah they can smell heathens a mile a way Smile

I took a shower beforehand.
16-05-2015, 09:23 AM
Re: Growing up with superstitions and woo
Showers and perfumes only mask the heathen odor that emanates from your very pores...

My mom (and her family) have a long history of untreated mental issues. So yeah, in addition to Christianity, she was full of woo. Ghosts, apparitions, otherworldly demons, etc. See something strange? Go inside, it could be anything! Appliance suddenly turn off? It's a ghost! Kid behaving strangely? Demons!
[+] 3 users Like mecanna's post
16-05-2015, 12:55 PM
I was raised Pentecostal, we believed in the rapture. I would remember coming home from school and sometimes no one would be in the house, I would get nervous that the rapture occurred and I was left behind until someone would call or come home.Facepalm

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
16-05-2015, 12:59 PM
(16-05-2015 12:55 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I was raised Pentecostal, we believed in the rapture. I would remember coming home from school and sometimes no one would be in the house, I would get nervous that the rapture occurred and I was left behind until someone would call or come home.Facepalm

Well that's a little scary...Shocking
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-05-2015, 01:07 PM
(16-05-2015 12:55 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I was raised Pentecostal, we believed in the rapture. I would remember coming home from school and sometimes no one would be in the house, I would get nervous that the rapture occurred and I was left behind until someone would call or come home.Facepalm

If I had a dollar for every time this happened to me I would be a wealthy man! I lived and breathed this fear often.