Growled out by an "atheist" over defining atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Growled out by an "atheist" over defining atheism?
Soooo I'm chatting on YouTube (yes, yes, I know, that's my problem right there) and getting pestered by someone who insists atheism means one thing while I'm suggesting another, and he's being somewhat obnoxious about the whole thing (What!? Atheists can be obnoxious too!?). He's insisting that "agnostic atheist'" is a bullshit phrase and that if I seriously don't know/believe god exists I would be properly labelled as just agnostic, and that if I dislike theists (such as the moron who sent me the YouTube link to ICR in the first place) I must be anti-theist.

All of that was really just venting, but have you ever encountered this? Not just arguing with other atheists. I've done that all the time, and been (I feel) right sometimes, wrong others. But this guy... bugged me. A lot. I finally just stopped responding when he'd ask if I were an ordained priest of atheism yet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OddGamer's post
05-04-2015, 06:57 AM
RE: Growled out by an "atheist" over defining atheism?
I agree that "agnostic atheist" is a perfectly valid term.

Having said that having a public fight between atheists is good, not bad. If we atheists reject the idea of religious dogmatism, then showing ourselves and believers that we are individuals too, is very important.

I don't want the word "atheist" which is merely the "off" position getting turned into a moral code or loyalty oath. Even atheists have to be willing to challenge the claims of other atheists even if we offend each other.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
05-04-2015, 06:57 AM
My boyfriend said the term "agnostic atheist" doesn't make sense. But I actually came across a small list of different terms and what they're meanings were and agnostic atheism was one of them and it made total sense to me. I should totally track it down and show it to him with a smug "HA!" Laughat

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
05-04-2015, 07:38 AM
I'm an agnostic atheist ásatruar, and I don't care if someone calls me out on my bullshit. Life is just a big role-playing game to me, and so long as I find that my system of beliefs and non beliefs provides adequate entertainment in that game, I'm content.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
05-04-2015, 07:51 AM
I have encountered that before. 'Dude insisted to the death that I was an agnostic.

Why do people think the English language deals in absolutes? It absolutely doesn't. If it didn't then etymology wouldn't exist as a discipline.

Spoiler:

It does.
[+] 2 users Like Gilgamesh's post
05-04-2015, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 08:07 AM by Alex K.)
(05-04-2015 06:48 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  Soooo I'm chatting on YouTube (yes, yes, I know, that's my problem right there) and getting pestered by someone who insists atheism means one thing while I'm suggesting another, and he's being somewhat obnoxious about the whole thing (What!? Atheists can be obnoxious too!?). He's insisting that "agnostic atheist'" is a bullshit phrase and that if I seriously don't know/believe god exists I would be properly labelled as just agnostic, and that if I dislike theists (such as the moron who sent me the YouTube link to ICR in the first place) I must be anti-theist.

All of that was really just venting, but have you ever encountered this? Not just arguing with other atheists. I've done that all the time, and been (I feel) right sometimes, wrong others. But this guy... bugged me. A lot. I finally just stopped responding when he'd ask if I were an ordained priest of atheism yet.

Sounds like an idiot (or stealth theist) who, for some reason, wants it to be known that atheism is inherently unreasonable by definition. Why else would he only want to allow the name "atheist" for people holding a fundamentalist position which barely any atheist in real life subscribes to.

I am an agnostic atheist because I do not claim absolute knowledge about whether a God of some sort exists, but when encountering yes/no decisions about the existence for god (such as the decision to invest time and energy to pray or go to services), I will vote "no". The time and energy I am willing to invest is near zero because of the overwhelming (but not absolute) certainty. There you have it.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 2 users Like Alex K's post
05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
We've had people on this forum who are of that manner. At least sometimes the discussions are more sensible than youtube comments.

I specifically can recall a couple members who debated that was the case. Not just theists either, one was a staunch what I'd call Huxley Agnostic who felt that way about the positions and others have felt that way.

We've also had some agnostics complain atheists give those agnostics a bad name because it makes people view their label all wrong.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
05-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Life is too short to waste with people incapable of nuanced thinking.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
05-04-2015, 10:08 AM
(05-04-2015 09:57 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Life is too short to waste with people incapable of nuanced thinking.

I see what you did there Tongue

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 2 users Like Alex K's post
05-04-2015, 10:23 AM
My own preference is to use "atheist" to describe people who would claim that there is no God and to use "agnostic" to mean someone who doesn't believe one way or the other or who is unsure, but it's not something I find the need to go to the mat over. As long as I understand what people mean when they're using it AND that they aren't using it in a way that goes completely against any common understanding (ie Mr. Frank "I'm an atheist who believes in God" Schaeffer), I don't care.

I'm just thinking out loud.