Growled out by an "atheist" over defining atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 05:56 PM
RE: Growled out by an "atheist" over defining atheism?
(05-04-2015 01:48 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I must have talked about this a thousand times and I'm surprised people choose to describe themselves as atheists or agnostics without even looking up what these words mean.

The Greek prefix "a-" means "without", so "atheist" means "without a god" and "agnostic" means "without knowledge (of something)". It's that simple.

Now, anyone can claim that their own definitions are correct, but no one can change what these words actually mean.

Indeed! Thumbsup

I'm an agnostic atheist. I have no knowledge of the existence of god(s), and I lack belief in the existence of god(s). It doesn't get any more complicated.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheBear's post
05-04-2015, 06:51 PM
(05-04-2015 05:56 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 01:48 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I must have talked about this a thousand times and I'm surprised people choose to describe themselves as atheists or agnostics without even looking up what these words mean.

The Greek prefix "a-" means "without", so "atheist" means "without a god" and "agnostic" means "without knowledge (of something)". It's that simple.

Now, anyone can claim that their own definitions are correct, but no one can change what these words actually mean.

Indeed! Thumbsup

I'm an agnostic atheist. I have no knowledge of the existence of god(s), and I lack belief in the existence of god(s). It doesn't get any more complicated.

I agree. So, the agnostic label is mostly an addition to reaffirm everyone that I'm not a fundamentalist detached from evidence. In this sense, it is not a meaningless label - because such people do exist, if mostly on the other side.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
05-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Check out the quote GWG posted. I think it works here.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid758876

'Murican Canadian
05-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Sounds like to me that anyone who things agnostic theist or agnostic atheism is bull has too far of a black and white view of the world brought on by their totalitarian theism.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
05-04-2015, 08:28 PM
(05-04-2015 08:11 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Sounds like to me that anyone who things agnostic theist or agnostic atheism is bull has too far of a black and white view of the world brought on by their totalitarian theism.

I do happen to think that agnostic theism is bull, but not because of the "agnostic" part...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
05-04-2015, 09:16 PM
(05-04-2015 05:06 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 04:58 PM)BeardFist McFistBeard Wrote:  I feel much the same way. I'm not actively hoping there's a god or that there isn't. I simply don't see a case for one, with all the evidence i have thus far. Is that an agnostic? Is it atheist? IDK, don't really care.

That would make you an atheist so far and agnostic about the future, thus "agnostic atheist".

Well, there you go Smile
05-04-2015, 11:25 PM
I'm an agnostic atheist and I love nilla wafer puddin and nobody can say otherwise as far as I'm concerned.
05-04-2015, 11:43 PM
(05-04-2015 06:57 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  My boyfriend said the term "agnostic atheist" doesn't make sense. But I actually came across a small list of different terms and what they're meanings were and agnostic atheism was one of them and it made total sense to me. I should totally track it down and show it to him with a smug "HA!" Laughat

Done and done.

[Image: nb2mO.jpg]

I'll leave the printing, presentation, and smug laughing up to you. Wink

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-04-2015, 10:10 AM
(05-04-2015 06:57 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  My boyfriend said the term "agnostic atheist" doesn't make sense. But I actually came across a small list of different terms and what they're meanings were and agnostic atheism was one of them and it made total sense to me. I should totally track it down and show it to him with a smug "HA!" Laughat

A lot of people consider the two terms to be mutually exclusive. In addition, a lot of people who self-identify as atheist assume that agnostics are looking to avoid the stigma of the label "atheist", and a lot who self-identify as agnostic think that people use the term "atheist" to be edgy.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
06-04-2015, 03:22 PM
(05-04-2015 06:48 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  Soooo I'm chatting on YouTube (yes, yes, I know, that's my problem right there) and getting pestered by someone who insists atheism means one thing while I'm suggesting another, and he's being somewhat obnoxious about the whole thing (What!? Atheists can be obnoxious too!?). He's insisting that "agnostic atheist'" is a bullshit phrase and that if I seriously don't know/believe god exists I would be properly labelled as just agnostic, and that if I dislike theists (such as the moron who sent me the YouTube link to ICR in the first place) I must be anti-theist.

All of that was really just venting, but have you ever encountered this? Not just arguing with other atheists. I've done that all the time, and been (I feel) right sometimes, wrong others. But this guy... bugged me. A lot. I finally just stopped responding when he'd ask if I were an ordained priest of atheism yet.

I think misunderstandings, like expressed by the guy you were debating with, stem from using colloquial definitions of words, as opposed to the formal definitions.

He is obviously arguing based on colloquial definitions.

Or, he's just an idiot.