"Growth of Atheism"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Question "Growth of Atheism"
Are more people deconverting, or is it that less people are becoming religious in the first place?

Can anyone provide any data?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 03:35 PM
RE: "Growth of Atheism"
Yes. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
05-04-2014, 05:13 PM
It's really hard to tell since statistics are not so well documented on this. A big reason for this is because people can be afraid to say the truth in census or other forms of information collection due to the heavy consequences some may receive.

It is a bit of both falling away as well as never beginning in the first place, though. Good luck finding anything to find the evidence on which is more. One thing for SURE, either way, atheism is rising.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
05-04-2014, 05:38 PM
I can't provide data, but it does seem like more and more people are moving away from religion. However, I still know some people who are highly religious so right now I'm honestly afraid to declare myself an atheist in front of everyone. Christians seem to think of atheists as "evil" with no morals and a disgrace to society. And that we'll suffer the wrath of God.
We won't suffer the wrath of God because he doesn't exist. And as LadyJane has said, atheism is rising.
05-04-2014, 06:00 PM
I think there are a lot more atheists than the surveys show. Huge numbers are still in the closet.

Young people seem to be coming out more now, when I was young no one ever admitted to being atheist.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-04-2014, 06:17 PM
In the US, the 25 and unders are much more likely to be atheists or agnostics. So I think it's people not accepting their parent's indoctrination. Here anyway.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
05-04-2014, 06:30 PM
The fuckers are whining enough about it. IN fact this fellow

http://themoralcollapseofamerica.blogspo...ca-is.html

Quote:Dave Olson, the director of church planting for the Evangelical Covenant Church, has done some really interesting research into the church attendance patterns of Americans.

Olson's findings contain a ton of bad news. For starters, his research found that the percentage of Americans regularly attending church is only 18.7%.

In fact, some fine xtians seem to lie about their attendance....I'm sure 'jesus' approves!

Quote:The percentage of people who actually physically attend a Christian church each week is quite a bit below what pollsters report.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
05-04-2014, 07:47 PM
The internet has played a big part. It gives people a wealth of information at their fingertips, and it allows people on different sides of the world to exchange ideas instantly. People are no longer confined to their local community or just their country, where they are usually surrounded by people that share the same beliefs as them. With the internet, a Christian in the U.S. can discuss religion with an atheist in China as though they were sitting right next to each other.

The internet has made it a lot more difficult for religious leaders to pull the wool over people's eyes. If they offer some false scientific claim as an explanation, a person can go on the internet and find out if it's true at the snap of a finger (I know the constant twisting or ignoring of the facts is one of the reasons that I walked away). With the technology and knowledge that we have available to us today, I don't see any reason why religion will go anywhere but down. One of religion's two most powerful tools is ignorance (the other is fear), and that is becoming incredibly harder to maintain with the internet and other advances in technology. More and more people are beginning to see that belief in these man-made myths is just silly.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 5 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
05-04-2014, 08:03 PM
(05-04-2014 07:47 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  The internet has played a big part. It gives people a wealth of information at their fingertips, and it allows people on different sides of the world to exchange ideas instantly. People are no longer confined to their local community or just their country, where they are usually surrounded by people that share the same beliefs as them. With the internet, a Christian in the U.S. can discuss religion with an atheist in China as though they were sitting right next to each other.

The internet has made it a lot more difficult for religious leaders to pull the wool over people's eyes. If they offer some false scientific claim as an explanation, a person can go on the internet and find out if it's true at the snap of a finger (I know the constant twisting or ignoring of the facts is one of the reasons that I walked away). With the technology and knowledge that we have available to us today, I don't see any reason why religion will go anywhere but down. One of religion's two most powerful tools is ignorance (the other is fear), and that is becoming incredibly harder to maintain with the internet and other advances in technology. More and more people are beginning to see that belief in these man-made myths is just silly.

Yet Christians might say to us,"Don't believe everything you read on the net!" Even though they trust every word of their 2000 year old book that has absolutely no solid evidence of their beliefs.
There are plenty of credible sources that you can find on the internet.
[+] 2 users Like 89JeepYJ's post
05-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Believing everything I heard in church nearly got me killed.

Info on the net led to my rescue.

Atheism is bringing life. Christianity only brought me death.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post