"Growth of Atheism"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
RE: "Growth of Atheism"
(05-04-2014 05:38 PM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  I can't provide data, but it does seem like more and more people are moving away from religion. However, I still know some people who are highly religious so right now I'm honestly afraid to declare myself an atheist in front of everyone. Christians seem to think of atheists as "evil" with no morals and a disgrace to society. And that we'll suffer the wrath of God.
We won't suffer the wrath of God because he doesn't exist. And as LadyJane has said, atheism is rising.

"right now I'm honestly afraid to declare myself an atheist in front of everyone."

Be brave. Be real. Ultimately you'll get respect and you'll be liked. You won't be alone.

ps. I might be wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
(05-04-2014 08:13 PM)Charis Wrote:  Believing everything I heard in church nearly got me killed.

Info on the net led to my rescue.

Atheism is bringing life. Christianity only brought me death.

C, That's some heavy shit there...are you speaking metaphorically or literally?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
05-04-2014, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 09:38 PM by Charis.)
I'm speaking literally. Long story.
I'm not referring here to the suicide attempt. I mean ... other things....

Considering everything, it lends a major sense of irony to me being in the market, as it were, for a Dom. That's just the way it goes though, I guess.
06-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Growth of atheism is really a growth in rational thought, a growth in reason. You could even call it a decline in gullibility.

Many people who are simply non-religious may have never heard of the word atheist, so for them, they are non-religious. We can count them in our camp if we wish, but in truth they aren't atheists, the way we are atheists.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
06-04-2014, 10:39 AM
(05-04-2014 08:55 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 05:38 PM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  I can't provide data, but it does seem like more and more people are moving away from religion. However, I still know some people who are highly religious so right now I'm honestly afraid to declare myself an atheist in front of everyone. Christians seem to think of atheists as "evil" with no morals and a disgrace to society. And that we'll suffer the wrath of God.
We won't suffer the wrath of God because he doesn't exist. And as LadyJane has said, atheism is rising.

"right now I'm honestly afraid to declare myself an atheist in front of everyone."

Be brave. Be real. Ultimately you'll get respect and you'll be liked. You won't be alone.

ps. I might be wrong.

You may be right. No one knows I'm an atheist expect for the people on this forum. My mom, however, knows how I feel about religion. I'm just worried about telling anyone in my family or my girlfriend because I'm afraid how it will affect my relationship with them. Why is atheist such a bad word to some people?
06-04-2014, 10:43 AM
(06-04-2014 10:39 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 08:55 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "right now I'm honestly afraid to declare myself an atheist in front of everyone."

ps. I might be wrong.

You may be right. No one knows I'm an atheist expect for the people on this forum. My mom, however, knows how I feel about religion. I'm just worried about telling anyone in my family or my girlfriend because I'm afraid how it will affect my relationship with them. Why is atheist such a bad word to some people?

[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
06-04-2014, 10:50 AM
(05-04-2014 06:17 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  In the US, the 25 and unders are much more likely to be atheists or agnostics. So I think it's people not accepting their parent's indoctrination. Here anyway.

You'd be surprised how many older people are atheists, but never have and never will tell a soul. The 25 and unders are just more free to map their own course, the older generations are more or less stuck with their families and friends and don't want to risk losing them. The young are just starting to create their own families... best time to be up front and avoid basing your life on those who cannot tolerate atheism.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
06-04-2014, 10:57 AM
(06-04-2014 10:43 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(06-04-2014 10:39 AM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  You may be right. No one knows I'm an atheist expect for the people on this forum. My mom, however, knows how I feel about religion. I'm just worried about telling anyone in my family or my girlfriend because I'm afraid how it will affect my relationship with them. Why is atheist such a bad word to some people?

Thank you for sharing this. It answered my question.
06-04-2014, 12:59 PM
I think for many theists, an atheist represents someone who is making a mental judgement on them as a person.

"If you're an atheist, you must think I'm crazy"

So right off the bat, they have this image in their own minds of a group of people who have negative thoughts about them, thus putting them on the defensive and sometimes violently defensive in reaction to thoughts going on inside their own heads.

In essence, they are crazy

Hobo

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
06-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Wow, good video.