"Growth of Atheism"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-04-2014, 09:41 PM
RE: "Growth of Atheism"
(05-04-2014 02:21 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Are more people deconverting, or is it that less people are becoming religious in the first place?

Can anyone provide any data?

More people are deconverting.
Less people are becoming religious

I thank the internet. It allows us meeting places with easy access and little risk.
Lots of atheists are still afraid to speak to family so they come to the internet.
We don't have parades or bars or churches to serve as rallying points.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
07-04-2014, 08:13 AM
I think this is building on the fact kids generally follow the beliefs of the parents. More athiest parents will yiled more athies kids. Not to mention people like me that deconvert later in life. Being that I am a closet athiest I would agree there are more like me out there than can be counted.
[+] 1 user Likes wazzel's post
07-04-2014, 08:29 AM
When I grew up there was no internet, there was the church library within walking distance and I could take a bus to downtown to the big library. No one was an atheist. I didn't know the word atheist, the church called us heathens.

I still knew at age 10 that I didn't believe all that stuff, but I thought I was completely alone.

My parents were closet atheists, which I didn't find out until they were on their respective death beds. They never tried to influence me except by keeping all kinds of reference books around the house. Religion just wasn't talked about, it didn't come up. I didn't ask because I assumed everyone but me believed. It was a given.

There must be thousands and thousands in my generation just like that. Not to mention subsequent generations, it's still hard to "come out" these days, but it's getting easier thanks to the web.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
07-04-2014, 09:20 AM
(07-04-2014 08:29 AM)Dom Wrote:  There must be thousands and thousands in my generation just like that. Not to mention subsequent generations, it's still hard to "come out" these days, but it's getting easier thanks to the web.

I've been watching CNNs coverage of the missing Malaysian airliner. The other day they had Alan Dershowitz, hot shot Harvard law professor and hot shot lawyer, on as a guest commentator. Apparently at one point in his life, he had been aboard a plane that nearly crashed. The conversation went something like this (paraphrased):

Talking Head: Tell us about your experience.
AD: Well, the pilot came on the PA system and announced that the plane was in very serious trouble....
TH: No agnostics in a crashing plane, eh? Did you start praying?
AD: No, I was too busy writing notes. I had no idea I was agnostic, but I wrote notes to my wife, just kept writing notes......

I found it nice that nobody on the panel fainted or made any kind of deal about it. Maybe there is some hope.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
07-04-2014, 09:20 AM
The younger generations are more open-minded and progressive, thus they are less likely to be trapped in the lie of religion that the older generations cannot let go. Especially, in a time of progressing technological socialization and knowledge at our fingertips, though to be honest increased literacy did not precisely birth a greater population of atheists departed from primitive ideologies whereby the population had been held captive to their beliefs due to their illiteracy. It is hard to state with absolute certainty that atheism will make a huge progressive leap, because there will always still be the factor of familial indoctrination whereby the younger generations are still held in captivity by the ignorance of religious belief.
07-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Quote: I'm just worried about telling anyone in my family or my girlfriend because I'm afraid how it will affect my relationship with them.

If they are that willing to toss you away for such a trivial issue you need to re-examine the relationship. Otherwise, you are little more than an emotional hostage.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!