Guantánamo Bay

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2016, 01:24 AM
Guantánamo Bay

And while supporters of Guantánamo would argue that closing it would be a sign of weakness, I'd argue it's an act of strength. Just listen to [Col.] Lawrence Wilkerson, Colin Powell's former chief of staff.

"What do we do with them? We leave them there forever? As an American citizen who is not a coward, I'd be willing to release everyone of them tomorrow morning, and face them on the battlefield again if necessary. But we got a lot of cowards in this country these days."

Exactly. When you see a bumper sticker that says 'Freedom Isn't Free', this is what that means. Standing up for our highest ideals, even when it requires accepting a certain amount of risk.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2016, 01:28 AM
RE: Guantánamo Bay
Wilkerson is right. Release them onto the battlefield.

Then shove a Tomahawk missile up their ass 5 minutes later.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Lord Dark Helmet's post
10-10-2016, 01:34 AM
Freedom isn't free? Certainly, though price appear to be paid by those held in prisons like Guantanamo.

As for closing it being sign of weakness - since when closing place where inhuman* treatment took place is considered weakness and not decency or learning from one mistakes?

*Or very human indeed.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
10-10-2016, 02:30 AM
Weird, didnt someone post in another thread how the US is still the country with the most freedom in the world? Consider Dodgy

Now, afaik(!) Germany doesnt have any camps where people are held without a trial, access to a lawyer, where they are held indefinitely and subject to torture (or whatever it is called now).

Not in the past 70 years or so i may say. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
10-10-2016, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2016 03:39 AM by Szuchow.)
(10-10-2016 02:30 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Weird, didnt someone post in another thread how the US is still the country with the most freedom in the world? Consider Dodgy

Guantanamo isn't within USA borders isn't it? If so then USA still can be most free Dodgy

(10-10-2016 02:30 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Now, afaik(!) Germany doesnt have any camps where people are held without a trial, access to a lawyer, where they are held indefinitely and subject to torture (or whatever it is called now).

Enhanced interrogation techniques I believe.

About camps - Poland sadly had them. Considering how former gov looked on USA it iis no surprise though.

(10-10-2016 02:30 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Not in the past 70 years or so i may say. Big Grin

Times change I guess.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
10-10-2016, 11:37 AM
(10-10-2016 02:30 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Weird, didnt someone post in another thread how the US is still the country with the most freedom in the world? Consider Dodgy

Now, afaik(!) Germany doesnt have any camps where people are held without a trial, access to a lawyer, where they are held indefinitely and subject to torture (or whatever it is called now).

Not in the past 70 years or so i may say. Big Grin

Funny, using the democracy index, the index that classify the health of a democracy through the analysis of around 60 factors, the USA are at rank 20th and the lowest country having reached a mark of Full Democracy. The top of the podium is held by Scandinavian country with Norway, Iceland and Sweden. The lowest rank1 a 167, is held by North Korea. Its not a perfect classification system, but its pretty much well representative of reality in my opnion.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
11-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Land of the free and the home of the brave? Yeah, right. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
12-10-2016, 03:45 AM
Wilkerson needs testosterone therapy. He forgets that the terrorist is a terrorist because he doesn't want to fight a stand-up battle. He'd rather attack non-combatants, not the Halo icon with all the hardware in the world.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2016, 04:11 PM
(11-10-2016 11:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Land of the free and the home of the brave? Yeah, right. Drinking Beverage

The "brave" part has been in a nose dive ever since "9/11" -- and it's taking "free" along for the ride. People are increasingly willing to concede freedom because they're allowing fear to control them. Politicians (especially Republicans) are taking maximum advantage of this.
12-10-2016, 08:50 PM
(10-10-2016 11:37 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Funny, using the democracy index, the index that classify the health of a democracy through the analysis of around 60 factors, the USA are at rank 20th and the lowest country having reached a mark of Full Democracy. The top of the podium is held by Scandinavian country with Norway, Iceland and Sweden. The lowest rank1 a 167, is held by North Korea. [...]

See Interactive Democracy Ranking

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.