Guardian Angels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2015, 12:36 PM
RE: Guardian Angels
It's one of the benefits of being a Catholic - you can pray to just about anyone - Mary, guardian angel, Jesus, saints - none of your prayers will be answered, of course, but it does give you more variety for deluding yourself.

My memory of the guardian angel is that it's supposed to protect you specifically from evil, not every little mishap in life.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2015, 06:54 PM
This frustrated me to no-end when I had a cardiac arrest about 5 years ago.

As you may have seen in another thread, the chances I could be coherent enough to be here writing this were about 1% -- too much time for CPR, too much brain swelling, too long in a coma. But hey, here I am -- no brain damage at all. at all. at all.

But when I got out of hospital -- everyone, especially my seriously deluded religious friends (who wanted to go on a Mission to Pakistan) kept telling me "Oh you must have a Guardian Angel" or "Yes, a guardian angel was looking out for you".

I used to bite my tongue so as not to offend but I was really thinking, Fuck You. Especially for those that new why it happened (a hidden genetic disorder), what sort of sadistic logic is that.

God, according to your religion, gave humans free will. The only part of our lives God is involved in is giving us our soul/life -- and by proxy - our genes. So all God or any of his Angels had anything to do with me was giving me faulty heart genes.

So you're saying that I have an Angel looking out for me? So what, God's sitting up there with his angel pals, "oh hey look at this - I gave this one a heart disease -- check it out -- in 21 years he is going to drop dead from a heart attack - LOL! ... seriously though, when it happens you better go down there and make sure he survives it"

Fucking sadistic.
[+] 4 users Like GenericBox's post
08-01-2015, 08:57 PM
Few can better express what it means to be "blessed" than Christopher Walken in David Cronenberg's movie adaptation of Stephen King's "The Dead Zone" ---

09-01-2015, 05:48 AM
Those people that are genuinely happy when something horrific has happened I find the most bizarre. Maybe they don't want to feel sad anymore so in their minds they chalk it up to god blessing you or god is guiding you or god is trying to teach you a lesson.

Basically they will do anything besides be a feeling human being who has empathy for his fellow man.

Its a fairly disgusting behavior

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
09-01-2015, 06:28 AM
It's reeks of the type of excuses victims of domestic abuse will use:

"Oh, they love me because they didn't hit me" or "Oh, they love me because they hit me to teach me a lesson to be a better wife/husband"

If you are blessed, or require a Guardian Angel to be looking out for you -- that means that at some point you're saying that God had planned for it to happen -- and then you are actually using that to say that God is good and you should love him for it. "Oh, God is so good -- he saved you from a train wreck." -- no, what the fuck was God doing when the train was about to crash?
09-01-2015, 10:12 AM
(09-01-2015 06:28 AM)GenericBox Wrote:  It's reeks of the type of excuses victims of domestic abuse will use:

"Oh, they love me because they didn't hit me" or "Oh, they love me because they hit me to teach me a lesson to be a better wife/husband"

If you are blessed, or require a Guardian Angel to be looking out for you -- that means that at some point you're saying that God had planned for it to happen -- and then you are actually using that to say that God is good and you should love him for it. "Oh, God is so good -- he saved you from a train wreck." -- no, what the fuck was God doing when the train was about to crash?

It's the tiresome post hoc fallacy, they inject meaning into an event after it has happened, even though it clearly makes no sense.

So god saved you from a train wreck, but didn't save the other 250 people on board?

Good one god! It truly takes a deity with mysterious ways to hatch such a brilliant plan!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post