Guess the Poster Game

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Guess the Poster Game
This from another thread. DLJ suggested we turn it into a game.

Read below, then PM me your list, I’ll copy it and paste it here. Other members will guess. When I see that someone got it right I’ll declare the winner. Hopefully I’ll be able to keep up.

"Your post morondog inspired the following thought experiment.

Take a random sample of people some from this forum (atheists) and some from whatever forum/church Pall_of_the_Mind attends (theists).

Each person makes two lists, one of 3 things in their lives that they consider fortunate and the other of 3 things they consider unfortunate. The lists can’t allude to whether you are atheist or theist. Fold them and thrown them in a bowl, pull one out and just from reading could a third party tell who is who?

For instance my list might be:

1. Happy marriage
2. Prosperous business
3. Fairly good health

1. Estranged brother
2. Bouts of diverticulitis
3. Noisy neighbors

Would a third person be able to tell who prays and is constantly asking God for stuff or not?

I am certain that the answer is NO, no they would not be able to tell. You would find that the lives of people who pray and those that don’t are indistinguishable. Both have “good” and “bad” in their lives. What does this prove? No fucking clue other than all the time believers spend praying is wasted as their lives are indistinguishable by any metric from those that don’t to an outsider.”

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
11-02-2015, 05:45 PM
RE: Guess the Poster Game
1st Contestant:

My (un)fortunate lists:

1. Divorced
2. Academic / dispassionate parents
3. Incapable of sustaining long-term relationships.

1. Lots of travel
2. Only need 4 hours sleep per night
3. More money than sense

But can you tell which list is which?

Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-02-2015, 05:55 PM
I thought this was gonna be hard?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
11-02-2015, 06:28 PM
As soon as I have a correct answer I'll post the next one. Right after I get out of this presentation on sharks Smile

11-02-2015, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2015 06:59 PM by Anjele.)
(11-02-2015 06:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  As soon as I have a correct answer I'll post the next one. Right after I get out of this presentation on sharks Smile

DLJ, and no prayer required. Edited - second list is fortunate.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
11-02-2015, 06:59 PM
(11-02-2015 05:45 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  1st Contestant:

My (un)fortunate lists:

1. Divorced (from humanity)
2. Academic / dispassionate parents (found him on their porch).
3. Incapable of sustaining long-term relationships (not even with honey chicken noodles)

1. Lots of travel (by bicycle)
2. Only need 4 hours sleep per night (flatmates fuck with him if he sleeps)
3. More money than sense (and he's fucking broke)

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-02-2015, 08:34 PM
It was DLJ. I have no other contestants Weeping

11-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Contestant #2!

Fortunate list
1) Happily married with three beautiful children
2) Surrounded by great people
3) Have a profession I love

Unfortunate list
1) Spouse's beliefs are different
2) Don't get enough sleep
3) Have a profession where I can't exactly see what is going on in my everyday job.

12-02-2015, 12:06 AM
(11-02-2015 08:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Contestant #2!

Fortunate list

Unfortunate list
3) Have a profession where I can't exactly see what is going on in my everyday job.

Consider B&A?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
12-02-2015, 06:33 AM
(11-02-2015 08:58 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Contestant #2!

Fortunate list

Unfortunate list

Fuck, if that said two kids instead of three, I'd have wondered if I PMed you in my sleep.

I'll guess Wazzel. I don't know how many kids he has or his career, but I know his wife has different beliefs.