Guess this guy won't eat with prostitutes and tax collectors...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2015, 06:06 AM
RE: Guess this guy won't eat with prostitutes and tax collectors...
(15-06-2015 05:54 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  At least the dude's following the bible. I think the watered-down, prosperity, mega-churches who almost totally disregard the bible piss me off more. We're always going to have a few nut-job fundies, but I think preachers like this will actually help in getting more reasonable Christians to start questioning things. If all Christian preachers preached like this guy, I think we would have very few remaining Christians.

Never underestimate fanaticism....

Hitler didn't kill 6 million Jews, and Osama bin Laden didn't talk people into kamakaze flying by being "moderates"....

There is a horrible appeal to being "part of it" that far too many people enjoy -- regardless how terrible "it" is.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-06-2015, 06:50 AM
(15-06-2015 06:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-06-2015 05:54 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  At least the dude's following the bible. I think the watered-down, prosperity, mega-churches who almost totally disregard the bible piss me off more. We're always going to have a few nut-job fundies, but I think preachers like this will actually help in getting more reasonable Christians to start questioning things. If all Christian preachers preached like this guy, I think we would have very few remaining Christians.

Never underestimate fanaticism....

Hitler didn't kill 6 million Jews, and Osama bin Laden didn't talk people into kamakaze flying by being "moderates"....

There is a horrible appeal to being "part of it" that far too many people enjoy -- regardless how terrible "it" is.

Agreed. It comes down to a study of behavior. In the investing community, people were puzzled by why the markets didn't behave more the world according to the Black-Sholes and CAPM models. Hence the birth of behavioral finance. The flaws of both models assumes that all investors are rational; therefore whenever factor X occurred, Y must follow. However, not all investors (a large number actually) are rational.

In similar ways, religion is a lot like this. Atheists/agnostics normally are "created" when people use logic and reason to assess the teachings that (in most cases) were given to them since birth. Some use this logic in reverse and become agnostic/atheist based on a traumatic event - like my preacher raped me; therefore, God does not exist - but it appears that most came to non-belief by analyzing the bible and dogmas of churches.

I think this is why we get puzzled at times with fundies. Fundamentalism believes in the most radical beliefs out there that are the easiest to knock down - like KJV 1611 onlyism, creationism, rejection of evolution, etc. But because they are so fanatical, they check their reason at the door and then become so brainwashed that it's hard to bust through their cocoons of ignorance. But once you do...it seems to be an epic meltdown.
[+] 1 user Likes Plan 9 from OS's post
15-06-2015, 06:56 AM
For fuck sake, we have documented evidence of NAZI war crimes. Between 20 & 40 million Russians alone died in The Great Patriotic War.

The US army war college has several lectures on this subject on youtube.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
15-06-2015, 07:17 AM
(15-06-2015 06:06 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never underestimate fanaticism....

I guess I would argue that in the case of Christianity in modern America, the churches only changed because society had changed. Society in America finally has come to no longer embrace the values presented in the old testament and the churches had to either adapt, or go empty.

I think the wack-job fundies can actually be one of our best tools when discussing with more reasonable Christians. We can make the argument that this is what true, bible-based Christianity looks like. No matter how repulsive the more moderate Christians find this guy, if they're honest, they'll find that point hard to refute, or at least it might help them start to look at things differently.
15-06-2015, 07:18 AM
(15-06-2015 06:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  For fuck sake, we have documented evidence of NAZI war crimes. Between 20 & 40 million Russians alone died in The Great Patriotic War.

If you're referring to my post -- please re-read it.....

I'm not one to pretend the Holocaust didn't happen....

I was saying Hitler got the German people to go along with the killing - by being a fanatical fuck.....

Sorry if I was the source of your spike in blood pressure...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-06-2015, 07:19 AM
(15-06-2015 06:56 AM)Banjo Wrote:  For fuck sake, we have documented evidence of NAZI war crimes. Between 20 & 40 million Russians alone died in The Great Patriotic War.

Who are you going to trust - THE WORLD and all it's trappings of evil??? OR are you going to trust GOD and your preacher???
[+] 2 users Like Plan 9 from OS's post
15-06-2015, 07:24 AM
(15-06-2015 07:18 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

If you're referring to my post -- please re-read it.....

I'm not one to pretend the Holocaust didn't happen....

I was saying Hitler got the German people to go along with the killing - by being a fanatical fuck.....

Sorry if I was the source of your spike in blood pressure...

Big Grin

I think that's the interesting points that you and Banjo are making. Despite the mountain of evidence about Nazi atrocities and the brutal tactics of Stalin, if you have complete faith in someone and believe what he/she is saying, then the evidence will not matter - or at least it won't matter to you at first. We have mountains of evidence for the age of the earth and evolution but that doesn't stop people from insisting that the world is 6000 years old and all animals were created within 6 days in their final forms.
[+] 2 users Like Plan 9 from OS's post
15-06-2015, 07:24 AM
onlinebiker
Yeah I know mate. My bloods are all over the shop at present and I hardly know where I am at. I am seriously ill and for real members here such as yourself I ask that you take me with a grain of salt.

Lately at other places I have seen a lot of holocaust denial and it irks me.

I hope to talk only about things I know. For example music, I know a shit load about music. WWII is a hobby going on 45 years I think. The first book I read was a Little golden book on dinosaurs, then a Cat in the Hat, followed by a history of The Battle Of Britain.

These days my confusion is such I often do not know where I am at. I was released from hospital again just two days ago. I spent 8 month in hospital. Take no notice.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
15-06-2015, 07:31 AM
(15-06-2015 07:24 AM)Banjo Wrote:  onlinebiker
Yeah I know mate. My bloods are all over the shop at present and I hardly know where I am at. I am seriously ill and for real members here such as yourself I ask that you take me with a grain of salt.

Lately at other places I have seen a lot of holocaust denial and it irks me.

I hope to talk only about things I know. For example music, I know a shit load about music. WWII is a hobby going on 45 years I think. The first book I read was a Little golden book on dinosaurs, then a Cat in the Hat, followed by a history of The Battle Of Britain.

These days my confusion is such I often do not know where I am at. I was released from hospital again just two days ago. I spent 8 month in hospital. Take no notice.

I know the feeling....

No harm, no foul...

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't pissing anybody off unintentionally.....

I mean -- what's the fun in that, if you don't know you're getting under their skin???

Wink

15-06-2015, 07:39 AM
Cheers mate. Smile

Banjo.