Guess what .......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Guess what .......
...... we're all "negative" and "hateful" people. That's what my mother and sister have just told me. Yes

I was telling my sister about the subway/non-halal meat thing that was posted on here, and we also got onto the Saudi Arabia criticises Norway's human rights record topic. All the while my mum sat there tutting and sighing. When I asked her why she said it's because I'd read about them on hear and this forum is just so "negative" (she's never seen it btw). My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion.

She then started going on about how much good religion does, again. I told her I disagree. She told me, again, that when religious people do something good it's because of their religion they do so, but when they do something bad that's nothing to do with religion and is their act as a person. I said she can't have it both ways, and also pointed out that plenty of people do good through atheist organisations (such as this one), and asked her if that is atheism doing good. She said it isn't, that's the person doing good and the atheism is irrelevant. She then said that religion influences people's morals. I agree with that one, all those American homophobes usually get their views from a certain book/belief system. Her response was that there aren't people in the world who are homophobic because of Christianity, they are homophobic anyway and just using it as an excuse. She thinks people only get good morals from religion.

I actually want to shoot my family sometimes. Frusty

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Hughsie's post
30-04-2014, 12:53 PM
RE: Guess what .......
AHHH!! THERE IS A GUEST ON THIS PAGE! THEY'RE VIEWING IT RIGHT NOW!
Anyways, when she says "how much good religion does" she's logically saying,
"How much good arbitrary consequence and punishment does."

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
30-04-2014, 12:54 PM
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  ...... we're all "negative" and "hateful" people. That's what my mother and sister have just told me. Yes

I was telling my sister about the subway/non-halal meat thing that was posted on here, and we also got onto the Saudi Arabia criticises Norway's human rights record topic. All the while my mum sat there tutting and sighing. When I asked her why she said it's because I'd read about them on hear and this forum is just so "negative" (she's never seen it btw). My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion.

She then started going on about how much good religion does, again. I told her I disagree. She told me, again, that when religious people do something good it's because of their religion they do so, but when they do something bad that's nothing to do with religion and is their act as a person. I said she can't have it both ways, and also pointed out that plenty of people do good through atheist organisations (such as this one), and asked her if that is atheism doing good. She said it isn't, that's the person doing good and the atheism is irrelevant. She then said that religion influences people's morals. I agree with that one, all those American homophobes usually get their views from a certain book/belief system. Her response was that there aren't people in the world who are homophobic because of Christianity, they are homophobic anyway and just using it as an excuse. She thinks people only get good morals from religion.

I actually want to shoot my family sometimes. Frusty

I struggle with this. Does religion cause people to do shitty things or do people use religion to justify the shitty things they do? Maybe it's both? I dunno....
30-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2014, 12:55 PM
(30-04-2014 12:53 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  AHHH!! THERE IS A GUEST ON THIS PAGE! THEY'RE VIEWING IT RIGHT NOW!
Anyways, when she says "how much good religion does" she's logically saying,
"How much good arbitrary consequence and punishment does."

MORE GUESSTS! AHHHH!!

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
30-04-2014, 01:43 PM
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I actually want to shoot my family sometimes. Frusty

Well that's just because you're hateful.

*flees for dear trolling life*
[+] 3 users Like Reltzik's post
30-04-2014, 01:48 PM
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion.

I can. It involves infinity years of torture.

Also childhood diseases like Tay Sachs (assuming there's an intelligent entity behind them).
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
30-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Have you tried posing this classic from Hitchens:

"Name me a moral act that a religious person could do, or a moral statement that she could utter, which cannot be done by an atheist."

I have yet to stumble upon an appropriate example of such a thing. Some have suggested (half humorously) things like tithing or saving souls, but those are obviously amoral or immoral from an atheist's viewpoint. It's ludicrous to claim that religion has a monopoly on morality just because some dimwits are compelled to do good on absurd grounds when perfectly good reasons to do the same are on the table.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
[+] 3 users Like John's post
30-04-2014, 02:26 PM
Why do you live with them? No, seriously, why?

When life became unbearable at home when I was 18-23, I moved in with friends and split the costs.

Why doesn't your generation do that? I couldn't wait to get out of the house. And honestly, my parents were really, really laid back.

Huh

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
30-04-2014, 02:28 PM
(30-04-2014 02:16 PM)John Wrote:  Have you tried posing this classic from Hitchens:

"Name me a moral act that a religious person could do, or a moral statement that she could utter, which cannot be done by an atheist."

I have yet to stumble upon an appropriate example of such a thing. Some have suggested (half humorously) things like tithing or saving souls, but those are obviously amoral or immoral from an atheist's viewpoint. It's ludicrous to claim that religion has a monopoly on morality just because some dimwits are compelled to do good on absurd grounds when perfectly good reasons to do the same are on the table.

I am going to have to remember that quote just incase I ever need it.