Guess what .......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 03:28 PM
RE: Guess what .......
What a beautiful cherrypicking argument.

I wonder if they see the hypocracy and double standards in what they say. Then again, I guess ignorance is bliss.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dyer51's post
30-04-2014, 03:47 PM
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion

Perhaps she can look over this list and tell you which god of which religion she would like you/us not to hate.
http://www.godchecker.com

If she is referring to Christianity maybe she could peruse this list of atrocities in the last 1000 years and let you/us know why we should not dislike it in some small way. http://www.jesusneverexisted.com/1000years.htm

I know it is like pushing water uphill BUT, see if they want to join the forum. We'll be nice, I promise.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-04-2014, 04:00 PM
(30-04-2014 12:54 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I struggle with this. Does religion cause people to do shitty things or do people use religion to justify the shitty things they do? Maybe it's both? I dunno....

I don't struggle with this at all. Case in point:
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion.
Where does she get this inaccurate view except from religion? And we all know it gets far worse than that. A better example: people who let their kids die of an illness while they simply pray and believe that will actually result in healing.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
30-04-2014, 04:00 PM
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  ...... we're all "negative" and "hateful" people. That's what my mother and sister have just told me. Yes

I was telling my sister about the subway/non-halal meat thing that was posted on here, and we also got onto the Saudi Arabia criticises Norway's human rights record topic. All the while my mum sat there tutting and sighing. When I asked her why she said it's because I'd read about them on hear and this forum is just so "negative" (she's never seen it btw). My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion.

She then started going on about how much good religion does, again. I told her I disagree. She told me, again, that when religious people do something good it's because of their religion they do so, but when they do something bad that's nothing to do with religion and is their act as a person. I said she can't have it both ways, and also pointed out that plenty of people do good through atheist organisations (such as this one), and asked her if that is atheism doing good. She said it isn't, that's the person doing good and the atheism is irrelevant. She then said that religion influences people's morals. I agree with that one, all those American homophobes usually get their views from a certain book/belief system. Her response was that there aren't people in the world who are homophobic because of Christianity, they are homophobic anyway and just using it as an excuse. She thinks people only get good morals from religion.

I actually want to shoot my family sometimes. Frusty

Um. I'm an atheist and I'm a pretty nice person. I've been to church twice in my life but I still treat people with respect. I don't hurt other people or go around blowing up buildings or stepping on homeless people or killing defenceless senior citizens and I don't go around hating people. I love cute fuzzy cats and dogs, I contribute time and money to the needy because this the only life everyone gets and I'm an even tempered, easy going gal. I've raised two beautiful daughters one of which is transgender and that everyone says are really great kids and they've never been to church even once ! I've been married for 25 years to the same man whom I still love. He's an atheist too.

So.....um....don't know what her problem might be with our family......Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
30-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Atheism is simply the lack of a belief in God.
Nothing to do with "hating all religions".

Your sister and your mom are stupid.

[Image: oscar.png]
30-04-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm negative and hateful cause it's fun, it has nothing to do with their fairy tales. Drinking Beverage
30-04-2014, 07:24 PM
Right now, I'm negative and hateful because her religion stripped me of joy.
30-04-2014, 08:00 PM
What?
30-04-2014, 08:14 PM
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  She told me, again, that when religious people do something good it's because of their religion they do so, but when they do something bad that's nothing to do with religion and is their act as a person.

I have always despised this argument. Every time I come across this argument with some religious person, it basically goes like this:

Christian: "Religion encourages people to do good because otherwise they will go to hell."
Me: "So, people do good deeds because they fear that if they don't they will suffer eternal torture."
Christian: "Yes, that is how religion helps keep people from doing bad things."
Me: "In other words, people do good deeds to cover their own ass and make sure they won't suffer torture down the road."
Christian: "Well, I didn't say that...
Me: "Yes...you..fucking...did. You blatantly said that people do good deeds because religion teaches them that if they don't they will go to hell. In other words, without religion people would not do good deeds. So, you're saying that people do not do good deeds out of the goodness of their heart. After all, if people do actually do good deeds out of the goodness of their heart, then that means that they are not doing them out of fear to prevent punishment, which in turn makes religion unnecessary for a person to do good deeds. Your claim says that people do good deeds out of fear of eternal punishment, which means that they are doing it to get something - which, in this case, is covering their own ass for the afterlife."

Of course, when I confront them with this argument they realize that they have dug themselves into a hole that they can't get out of, so they always end up walking away.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
30-04-2014, 08:20 PM
The largest philanthropists in the world are not religionists. So there's that.
Good people do good things.
Some people of faith do things for the reward. The ones I know who do good things are just good, and would do them anyway.
Atheists do good with no sucker reward for doing it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.