Guess what .......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2014, 11:33 PM
RE: Guess what .......
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  ...... we're all "negative" and "hateful" people. That's what my mother and sister have just told me. Yes

I was telling my sister about the subway/non-halal meat thing that was posted on here, and we also got onto the Saudi Arabia criticises Norway's human rights record topic. All the while my mum sat there tutting and sighing. When I asked her why she said it's because I'd read about them on hear and this forum is just so "negative" (she's never seen it btw). My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion.

She then started going on about how much good religion does, again. I told her I disagree. She told me, again, that when religious people do something good it's because of their religion they do so, but when they do something bad that's nothing to do with religion and is their act as a person. I said she can't have it both ways, and also pointed out that plenty of people do good through atheist organisations (such as this one), and asked her if that is atheism doing good. She said it isn't, that's the person doing good and the atheism is irrelevant. She then said that religion influences people's morals. I agree with that one, all those American homophobes usually get their views from a certain book/belief system. Her response was that there aren't people in the world who are homophobic because of Christianity, they are homophobic anyway and just using it as an excuse. She thinks people only get good morals from religion.

I actually want to shoot my family sometimes. Frusty

Chicken Butt? Childish rhymes aside.

I am saddened because they don't seem to know many Atheists. I would say the exact contrary and reveal that we are not hate filled or negative. If anything we care the most for the truth. Religion can cause you to be negative and definitely hate filled with homosexuality, subjugation of women and usually frowned upon attitudes of those of other faiths.

I want people to watch this video and then compare the two. I understand that these are the most extreme of a religion but for religion to become this warped and extreme then God did not do a well enough job in stating its wants or its wants are easily skewed in which ever way a religious person wants which they definitely seem to be made into.

Religious Fundamentalists: You are going to hell(Which is ridiculously reminiscent of many religious people who say this)

Atheists:Always look on the bright side of life!

No, religion does nothing that a nonreligious society cannot accomplish other than saying that it will save your soul if you follow their faith which means nothings because very many of them say that. You probably do good all the time and you are not a theist. Theism is not the foundation for good that lies within the person. We have often used that if religious people were not murdering, thieving rapists just because they were religious that means they generally are not a good person I would feel comfortable with.

Religion does cause some good things but I would then declare it definitely does bad things. Things like faith healing, religious suicide bombers and those who commit hate crimes on other religions are just small examples with more being the subjugation of women and horrendous treatment of gays.

Don't shoot your family we debate them and reveal how silly their ideas are. I don't think their mind will change on the subject because they seem firm and stubborn with their beliefs although it is that exact reason why religion can become negative and hateful. If you think religion can only do good things and it does something hateful you will believe that is good. If you think it only does good things and it does something negative you will still think its good and both those things are not good things.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 01:40 AM
RE: Guess what .......
(30-04-2014 11:33 PM)ShirubaDangan Wrote:  
(30-04-2014 12:36 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  ...... we're all "negative" and "hateful" people. That's what my mother and sister have just told me. Yes

I was telling my sister about the subway/non-halal meat thing that was posted on here, and we also got onto the Saudi Arabia criticises Norway's human rights record topic. All the while my mum sat there tutting and sighing. When I asked her why she said it's because I'd read about them on hear and this forum is just so "negative" (she's never seen it btw). My sister at this point joined in and said about how "hateful" atheists are and she can't think of anything more hateful than hating all religion.

She then started going on about how much good religion does, again. I told her I disagree. She told me, again, that when religious people do something good it's because of their religion they do so, but when they do something bad that's nothing to do with religion and is their act as a person. I said she can't have it both ways, and also pointed out that plenty of people do good through atheist organisations (such as this one), and asked her if that is atheism doing good. She said it isn't, that's the person doing good and the atheism is irrelevant. She then said that religion influences people's morals. I agree with that one, all those American homophobes usually get their views from a certain book/belief system. Her response was that there aren't people in the world who are homophobic because of Christianity, they are homophobic anyway and just using it as an excuse. She thinks people only get good morals from religion.

I actually want to shoot my family sometimes. Frusty

Chicken Butt? Childish rhymes aside.

I am saddened because they don't seem to know many Atheists. I would say the exact contrary and reveal that we are not hate filled or negative. If anything we care the most for the truth. Religion can cause you to be negative and definitely hate filled with homosexuality, subjugation of women and usually frowned upon attitudes of those of other faiths.

I want people to watch this video and then compare the two. I understand that these are the most extreme of a religion but for religion to become this warped and extreme then God did not do a well enough job in stating its wants or its wants are easily skewed in which ever way a religious person wants which they definitely seem to be made into.

Religious Fundamentalists: You are going to hell(Which is ridiculously reminiscent of many religious people who say this)

Atheists:Always look on the bright side of life!

No, religion does nothing that a nonreligious society cannot accomplish other than saying that it will save your soul if you follow their faith which means nothings because very many of them say that. You probably do good all the time and you are not a theist. Theism is not the foundation for good that lies within the person. We have often used that if religious people were not murdering, thieving rapists just because they were religious that means they generally are not a good person I would feel comfortable with.

Religion does cause some good things but I would then declare it definitely does bad things. Things like faith healing, religious suicide bombers and those who commit hate crimes on other religions are just small examples with more being the subjugation of women and horrendous treatment of gays.

Don't shoot your family we debate them and reveal how silly their ideas are. I don't think their mind will change on the subject because they seem firm and stubborn with their beliefs although it is that exact reason why religion can become negative and hateful. If you think religion can only do good things and it does something hateful you will believe that is good. If you think it only does good things and it does something negative you will still think its good and both those things are not good things.
I love the fact that the Muslims in the first video can't even spell "atheism" correctly on their signs. Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply