Guess what I watched

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Guess what I watched
[Image: b322cc.jpg]

My last flight had a magazine featuring a very brief article on the farewell stage show for Monty Python. I thought: "It sure would be neat to see that, but I couldn't afford the airfare to London." I put it out of my mind until yesterday. I was feeling a bit depressed after coming back from exciting adventures in Tanzania to face the realities of a very boring life. I needed a pick-me-up, so I decided to take my nephew to the movies. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the final performance of the show, entitled Monty Python Live (Mostly), was being broadcast live via satellite from London to a local theater here in the US. Being a lifelong fan of the show and movies, I felt it was my duty to see them off.

Verdict: The show was okay.

I feel confident in saying that it was a decade or two too late. It lacked the spirit that their movies and earlier stage shows had. This can be chalked up to age. The boys often stumbled over or forgot their lines. This made such scenes hit or miss. Even if the skits were well known, half-hearted deliveries made such scenes painful to watch. In others, a forgotten line could elicit boisterous laughter, especially when the players bickered with each other. For instance, Michael Palin forgot his lines during the parrot sketch and John Cleese started talking about the bad reviews that previous night’s performances had garnered.

The show was an odd mix of skits and song and dance routines. Eric Idle performed several musical numbers, but many of them involved professional dancers/singers bouncing around on stage. The glitz and professionalism of these seemed to contrast with the stale nature of some of the sketches. There didn’t seem to be any balance or structure between the two, either. The transition from one to the other was almost nonexistent. I know the original TV show was known for its unpredictability, but it doesn’t work well in the theater.

Despite the lackluster performance, I feel honored to have seen the boys take their final bow. They made several references to their fallen brother, Graham, throughout and even had a sign reading “Graham Chapman (1941-1989)” at the very end. This was followed by “Monty Python (1969-2014).”
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-05-2015, 07:56 PM
RE: Guess what I watched
I just saw Big Trouble in Little China (1986) in the theater. Holy fuck this movie is AMAZING on the big screen.

[Image: 7W2hEb.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
06-05-2015, 08:43 PM
(06-05-2015 07:56 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I just saw Big Trouble in Little China (1986) in the theater. Holy fuck this movie is AMAZING on the big screen.

[Image: 7W2hEb.jpg]

Great one-liners in that one!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
31-01-2016, 07:53 PM
I saw Blazing Saddles (1974) on the big screen earlier today. I'm glad my nephew saw it with me. This film is a classic.

[Image: 7Ch91M.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like ghostexorcist's post
01-02-2016, 06:40 AM
(31-01-2016 07:53 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I saw Blazing Saddles (1974) on the big screen earlier today. I'm glad my nephew saw it with me. This film is a classic.

Mel Brooks as governor Le Petomane...

Harvey Korman as Hedy Lamarr...

good times...

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-02-2016, 08:19 AM
I saw Big Trouble in the cinema when it was originally released in cinemas near me in '87 (I was only just old enough). Still love the film. I am jealous of your local cinema showing all these brilliant films though.
04-02-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks to a co-worker, my nephew and I just watched Deadpool for free, a week before it comes out in theaters, and without having to wait in line (which was huge). The cherry on top? We were the first two people let into the theater. Our "reserved" seats were extra comfy!

My verdict: They did the character justice. It was super funny! A solid 4/5.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
04-02-2016, 11:29 PM
(01-02-2016 06:40 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Harvey Korman as Hedy Lamarr...

good times...
That's "Hedly!" Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
05-02-2016, 07:39 AM
(04-02-2016 11:29 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(01-02-2016 06:40 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Harvey Korman as Hedy Lamarr...

good times...
That's "Hedly!" Big Grin

3 fucking days before anybody completed the joke!

I'm seriously disappointed in this group...
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
05-02-2016, 08:21 AM
(31-01-2016 07:53 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I saw Blazing Saddles (1974) on the big screen earlier today. I'm glad my nephew saw it with me. This film is a classic.

I have a great Blazing Saddles story.
Often times a childhood friend is an awkward fit, this one had conservative parents and we had less and less in common as he adopted their values more and more.
Mom took us to Blazing Saddles at the drive in, and she and I had at least as much fun watching his combined humor and discomfort at the clearly out of bounds subject matter, in the presence of an "elder". The combination was priceless.