Guess what everyone pointing out the hypocrisy of Indiana's new law were right.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 06:21 PM
RE: Guess what everyone pointing out the hypocrisy of Indiana's new law were right.
(02-04-2015 06:02 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except Arkansas.

Figures! Dodgy Facepalm

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2015, 06:33 PM
RE: Guess what everyone pointing out the hypocrisy of Indiana's new law were right.
(02-04-2015 06:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  How does one 'fix' a law that is intended to give cover to discrimination other than by repealing it? Consider

By neutering it so it does fuck all.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-04-2015, 06:39 PM
(02-04-2015 06:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 06:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  How does one 'fix' a law that is intended to give cover to discrimination other than by repealing it? Consider

By neutering it so it does fuck all.

It's really kind of funny; had they done it first so that it just applied to religious groups it wouldn't have actually accomplished anything real but would have given them something for their base to cheer and been largely irrelevant to others. As it stands, they've pissed off everybody and shown just how completely moronic they are.
Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
02-04-2015, 06:57 PM
(02-04-2015 06:39 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(02-04-2015 06:33 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  By neutering it so it does fuck all.

It's really kind of funny; had they done it first so that it just applied to religious groups it wouldn't have actually accomplished anything real but would have given them something for their base to cheer and been largely irrelevant to others. As it stands, they've pissed off everybody and shown just how completely moronic they are.
Big Grin

The pro-business part of the party hates these laws for this reason. It fucks up their money and just makes everyone look stupid.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-04-2015, 07:05 PM

From what I've read, they are going to amend it to be clear it does not give a right to discriminate. It leaves the law basically toothless but lets the crazies save some face.

It's all kinds of fucked up, but no more so than the entire concept beyond these stupid, hateful laws.

Sometimes, when I let my guard down, I forget that my American citizenship is an accident of birth and I am actually proud of my country. Then I get bullshit like this to bring me hurling back to reality. I love the idealism of the United States, but the implementation leaves a whole lot to be desired.

I blame the 24 hour news cycle and the fax machine for that.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
03-04-2015, 03:50 PM

^ this.

Repeal it, admit it was a stupid thing to do and go sin no more.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
03-04-2015, 07:11 PM
I think a law like this could be useful if they met somewhere in the middle. Say a christian family owns a catering company. They shouldn't be able to outright refuse to make food for a gay wedding, but I think they should be able to refuse to attend the wedding or conduct the full catering service. Same with a bakery or flower shop. If the gay wedding needs flowers, make them the flowers, but they have to pick them up themselves and set them up. Make the damn gay wedding cake for them but they have to pick it up themselves. No delivery or catering, as that would force them to be a participant.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
03-04-2015, 07:15 PM
(03-04-2015 07:11 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I think a law like this could be useful if they met somewhere in the middle. Say a christian family owns a catering company. They shouldn't be able to outright refuse to make food for a gay wedding, but I think they should be able to refuse to attend the wedding or conduct the full catering service. Same with a bakery or flower shop. If the gay wedding needs flowers, make them the flowers, but they have to pick them up themselves and set them up. Make the damn gay wedding cake for them but they have to pick it up themselves. No delivery or catering, as that would force them to be a participant.

It's not their wedding. They are the hired help and need to shut the fuck up.

They need to stop this childish whining and grow up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2015, 07:22 PM
(03-04-2015 07:11 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I think a law like this could be useful if they met somewhere in the middle. Say a christian family owns a catering company. They shouldn't be able to outright refuse to make food for a gay wedding, but I think they should be able to refuse to attend the wedding or conduct the full catering service. Same with a bakery or flower shop. If the gay wedding needs flowers, make them the flowers, but they have to pick them up themselves and set them up. Make the damn gay wedding cake for them but they have to pick it up themselves. No delivery or catering, as that would force them to be a participant.

So they have to provide some services, but can still deny some others because they're homophobic idiots? I fail to see how that resolves anything. If they make damn cake, they're participating just as much as if they deliver it, cater it, or spoon feed the groom.

If they run a business providing service to the public, they should be willing to do just that, regardless of their bigoted worldview.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
03-04-2015, 07:36 PM
(02-04-2015 02:25 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
Shocking I know but apparently the kinds of sins straight white people do are not the "same kind of sin" and therefore she can service those people as a bigoted christian. Fuck these people.

The retarded thing is, adultery is one of the 10 commandments, the big 10, where as gayness is semi-mentioned in a line or two in Leviticus whom if I recall brings us some other batshit crazy laws to live by that everyone conveniently ignores.

The idea that one of the commandments is perfectly acceptable but a semi-line in one of the books hidden away down the back is absolute is complete fucking bullshit.

I've always said that it was never about religion, religion is just used as excuse to hate on the gayness because they don't have a valid argument. They bigots, they're homophobic and they know it but they constantly need to reassure themselves that their "beliefs" are founded and that they're right and good people for believing in them because heaven forbid they're wrong...

All these businesses need a rainbow painted brick through their front window.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post