Guess what everyone pointing out the hypocrisy of Indiana's new law were right.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2015, 08:22 PM
RE: Guess what everyone pointing out the hypocrisy of Indiana's new law were right.
(03-04-2015 08:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 07:55 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  A person's deeply held religious beliefs should be given some stretch room.

Religious beliefs, whether deeply held or not, are not a Carte Blanche to discriminate or break the laws.

Think of all the ways this can go badly in a heartbeat. Tomorrow the Southern Babtists say it is their deeply held belief that the blacks are inferior and they don’t wish to serve them cake or lunch or dinner. The Mormons claim it is their deeply held belief that non-Mormons are the spawn of the Devil and they won’t hire them or sell them anything. Jews say their strongly held beliefs won’t allow them to do any business with non-Jews. Muslims want to practice Sharia Law. Where does it end?

Our secular government cannot allow religious beliefs to dictate what laws will or won’t be followed.

I agree, to an extent. But those won't pass any level of scrutiny. The bible doesn't say anything about blacks being inferior. Mormons, as far as I know, don't have any writings that declare non-mormons to be devil spawn, etc. But the bible is pretty clear on homosexuality. And that's the difference.

Death is a debt we all must pay.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Guess what everyone pointing out the hypocrisy of Indiana's new law were right.
(03-04-2015 08:22 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Religious beliefs, whether deeply held or not, are not a Carte Blanche to discriminate or break the laws.

Think of all the ways this can go badly in a heartbeat. Tomorrow the Southern Babtists say it is their deeply held belief that the blacks are inferior and they don’t wish to serve them cake or lunch or dinner. The Mormons claim it is their deeply held belief that non-Mormons are the spawn of the Devil and they won’t hire them or sell them anything. Jews say their strongly held beliefs won’t allow them to do any business with non-Jews. Muslims want to practice Sharia Law. Where does it end?

Our secular government cannot allow religious beliefs to dictate what laws will or won’t be followed.

I agree, to an extent. But those won't pass any level of scrutiny. The bible doesn't say anything about blacks being inferior. Mormons, as far as I know, don't have any writings that declare non-mormons to be devil spawn, etc. But the bible is pretty clear on homosexuality. And that's the difference.

The bible is also clear on many other things that aren't a problem to christian's deeply held beliefs.
Cherry picking to suit their bigotry.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
03-04-2015, 08:28 PM
(03-04-2015 08:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:02 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  Aye. So one can simply say "we sell traditional wedding cakes here. No gay wedding cakes for sale. The handling of a gay wedding cake is against my religion and is unclean."

What is a gay wedding cake? Please be specific.

I think, and I'm only guessing here, is that a gay wedding cake has one extra ingredient that a regular wedding cake doesn't have. A gay wedding cake recipe looks like this:

2-1/2 cups 2% milk
1 cup butter, cubed
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of god's wrath

That last ingredient just doesn't sit well with those christian bakers.

03-04-2015, 08:29 PM
(03-04-2015 08:22 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:14 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Religious beliefs, whether deeply held or not, are not a Carte Blanche to discriminate or break the laws.

I think The Book for Morons is pretty clear on that darky thing.

The Constitution is a secular document for a secular government. The 14th Amendment guarantees equal treatment.

One's religious belief cannot trump the rights of another.

If you actually are a patriot, you might want to follow the Constitution.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2015, 08:30 PM
(03-04-2015 08:28 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  What is a gay wedding cake? Please be specific.

I think, and I'm only guessing here, is that a gay wedding cake has one extra ingredient that a regular wedding cake doesn't have. A gay wedding cake recipe looks like this:

2-1/2 cups 2% milk
1 cup butter, cubed
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of god's wrath

No, that’s the Christian wedding cake. The gay wedding cake has sprinkles.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
03-04-2015, 08:36 PM
(03-04-2015 08:28 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  What is a gay wedding cake? Please be specific.

2-1/2 cups 2% milk
1 cup butter, cubed
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of god's wrath

You're hilarious. No

Seriously, what is a gay wedding cake that they don't sell?

Do you see how your deli examples are, in fact, nothing like the actual issue?

03-04-2015, 08:37 PM
(03-04-2015 08:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:22 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I agree, to an extent. But those won't pass any level of scrutiny. The bible doesn't say anything about blacks being inferior. Mormons, as far as I know, don't have any writings that declare non-mormons to be devil spawn, etc. But the bible is pretty clear on homosexuality. And that's the difference.

I think The Book for Morons is pretty clear on that darky thing.

The Constitution is a secular document for a secular government. The 14th Amendment guarantees equal treatment.

And I do agree with you. But we must balance everything within the constitution. People also have the right to free speech. With that, the government should never tell you what to speak for. By forcing a christian that is against homosexuality to support it, they are forcing speech.

03-04-2015, 08:39 PM
(03-04-2015 08:37 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think The Book for Morons is pretty clear on that darky thing.

And I do agree with you. But we must balance everything within the constitution. People also have the right to free speech. With that, the government should never tell you what to speak for. By forcing a christian that is against homosexuality to support it, they are forcing speech.

I don’t think that follows. That doesn’t make any sense.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-04-2015, 08:40 PM
(03-04-2015 08:36 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:28 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  I think, and I'm only guessing here, is that a gay wedding cake has one extra ingredient that a regular wedding cake doesn't have. A gay wedding cake recipe looks like this:

2-1/2 cups 2% milk
1 cup butter, cubed
3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of god's wrath

You're hilarious. No

Seriously, what is a gay wedding cake that they don't sell?

Do you see how your deli examples are, in fact, nothing like the actual issue?

It was a joke. Obviously there is no difference between a gay cake and a straight cake. Unless they wanted a gay wedding cake topper. Should they be forced to keep those in stock?

03-04-2015, 08:40 PM
(03-04-2015 08:37 PM)Patriot10mm Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 08:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  I think The Book for Morons is pretty clear on that darky thing.

They are not being forced to support anything.
That is overstating what a business transaction is and giving privilege to one person's beliefs over another persons right to equal treatment under the law.

It is a bullshit apologetic-style argument.

[+] 4 users Like Chas's post