Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Guess who is very very very spiritual.
Oprah. Yes she is. Very.

However, I disctinctly disagree with this article:
Why Oprah's Anti-Atheist Bias Hurts So Much
Psychology Today

On the contrary. If that billionaire promoter of quackery approved of me, it would mean I'm doing something wrong.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Abdul Alhazred's post
16-10-2013, 08:25 AM
RE: Guess who is very very very spiritual.
Yeah, can't say I give a rat's ass what Oprah thinks, though she is obviously full of shit.

This reminds me, I once fell asleep while an Oprah special was on the TV, somethings about god and spirits and souls. I had a nightmare I was on a bus with Oprah, and she was babbling all this bullshit about souls, and I was getting extremely angry and shouting back at her about a lack of evidence. ^_^
[+] 6 users Like amyb's post
16-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Ya, I don't really give a shit about Oprah. I doubt she's losing sleep or quit eating because she has excluded atheists from her inner circle.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Isn't her argument something along the lines of "if you believe in awesome things, you must believe in God, because [only] God is awesome/all awesome things come from God"? As far as I can tell, she is making at least two baseless assertions:

1: God exists.
2: Nothing awesome can exists without God.

If she cannot prove either of those assertions, her conclusion fails. The first one obviously has no evidence, and the second one, so far as I can tell, is based on "cuz she says so". So, this all boils down to "you're not an atheist because Oprah says so."
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
16-10-2013, 09:47 AM
fuck oprah, she clearly is missing the point of what god is. God is a metaphor of awe and infinite wonder, not a damn entity.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
16-10-2013, 10:58 AM
I do give a shit what Oprah thinks because she is a major powerhouse. She needs some education before she spews that crap all over, contaminating and reinforcing ignorance.

Poor Nyad. I hope she writes an eloquent reply to help educate and maybe even inspire the awe within atheism itself for Oprah.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
16-10-2013, 11:25 AM
(16-10-2013 10:58 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I do give a shit what Oprah thinks because she is a major powerhouse. She needs some education before she spews that crap all over, contaminating and reinforcing ignorance.

Poor Nyad. I hope she writes an eloquent reply to help educate and maybe even inspire the awe within atheism itself for Oprah.

"Unfair prejudice is most shocking not when it comes from expected sources – a KKK leader, for example, or a skinhead – but when it comes from a respected mainstream spokesperson who supposedly reflects enlightened contemporary values."

Yep, from there I just stopped. I've never been a big fan, and now I'm far from being one.
16-10-2013, 11:55 AM
(16-10-2013 10:58 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I do give a shit what Oprah thinks because she is a major powerhouse. She needs some education before she spews that crap all over, contaminating and reinforcing ignorance.
This is exactly what bothers me most. People with large volumes of followers have an extra responsibility to be careful about what they say. Not only do I believe Oprah was careless in that regard, but I also believe it was deliberate. She is quite aware of her position of influence and she chose to use it to push her religious agenda. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
16-10-2013, 11:56 AM
I read this completely differently.

Winfrey was quoted in the article saying : "Well I don’t call you an atheist then,” Oprah responded to Nyad's disclosure. “I think if you believe in the awe and the wonder and the mystery, then that is what God is.”

So Winfrey changed the strict definition, and disclosed her personal definition, and understanding of what being an atheist means to her. She's basically been doing this sort of "embrace your woo" for years. I think it's Psychology Today, making distinctions without a difference to sell magazines. Winfrey basically just said she has her own definitions/understandings, just like Childeye, and (almost ?) everyone does.
Everyone in her world has something that value most, and in her world, she names that (their) "god". Big deal.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-10-2013, 12:07 PM
I would post that video of Christopher Hitchens called "If you want to be awe inspired"... But I'm using a tablet and can't copy and paste.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]