Guess who is very very very spiritual.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Guess who is very very very spiritual.
Oprah is no intellectual, which is apparent from this interview.

However, I am more bothered by the article than with Oprah. Comparing her to the KKK?
Puhhleaaasssseee.
This article does more harm in terms of stereoptypes of atheists than Oprah's interview.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes black_squirrel's post
16-10-2013, 02:19 PM
RE: Guess who is very very very spiritual.
(16-10-2013 11:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I read this completely differently.

Winfrey was quoted in the article saying : "Well I don’t call you an atheist then,” Oprah responded to Nyad's disclosure. “I think if you believe in the awe and the wonder and the mystery, then that is what God is.”

So Winfrey changed the strict definition, and disclosed her personal definition, and understanding of what being an atheist means to her. She's basically been doing this sort of "embrace your woo" for years. I think it's Psychology Today, making distinctions without a difference to sell magazines. Winfrey basically just said she has her own definitions/understandings, just like Childeye, and (almost ?) everyone does.
Everyone in her world has something that value most, and in her world, she names that (their) "god". Big deal.
I see 2 problems. The first is that Oprah implies you can't be an atheist and also believe in the awe, the wonder, and the mystery - and what that was supposed to refer to, according to the article, is Diana Nyad saying that she can "weep with the beauty of this universe and be moved by all of humanity". So atheists can't be moved by the universe or by humanity? That's a bunch of BS and is right down there with the common belief that atheists have no morals.

The second problem is that Oprah is contradicting Diana's self-professed atheism as if Diana doesn't know herself well enough. Diana just got through saying there is no contraction between her atheism and her appreciation of the universe and humanity. Oprah then essentially says "Oh yes there is!" Oprah didn't need to insert her own opinion. She could have just left it as Diana's opinion, but instead she couldn't resist denying that a sensitive atheist is possible and I honestly believe it was a deliberate dig. Essentially saying "you aren't a REAL atheist" is right down there with "you were never a TRUE Christian".

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
16-10-2013, 02:54 PM
(16-10-2013 02:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(16-10-2013 11:56 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I read this completely differently.

Winfrey was quoted in the article saying : "Well I don’t call you an atheist then,” Oprah responded to Nyad's disclosure. “I think if you believe in the awe and the wonder and the mystery, then that is what God is.”

So Winfrey changed the strict definition, and disclosed her personal definition, and understanding of what being an atheist means to her. She's basically been doing this sort of "embrace your woo" for years. I think it's Psychology Today, making distinctions without a difference to sell magazines. Winfrey basically just said she has her own definitions/understandings, just like Childeye, and (almost ?) everyone does.
Everyone in her world has something that value most, and in her world, she names that (their) "god". Big deal.
I see 2 problems. The first is that Oprah implies you can't be an atheist and also believe in the awe, the wonder, and the mystery - and what that was supposed to refer to, according to the article, is Diana Nyad saying that she can "weep with the beauty of this universe and be moved by all of humanity". So atheists can't be moved by the universe or by humanity? That's a bunch of BS and is right down there with the common belief that atheists have no morals.

The second problem is that Oprah is contradicting Diana's self-professed atheism as if Diana doesn't know herself well enough. Diana just got through saying there is no contraction between her atheism and her appreciation of the universe and humanity. Oprah then essentially says "Oh yes there is!" Oprah didn't need to insert her own opinion. She could have just left it as Diana's opinion, but instead she couldn't resist denying that a sensitive atheist is possible and I honestly believe it was a deliberate dig. Essentially saying "you aren't a REAL atheist" is right down there with "you were never a TRUE Christian".

Maybe, but without further context, I don't feel I can draw those conclusions. I just see it as Winfrey saying that in her opinion, "awe and wonder" *are as good as a god*. I see it an attempt to be inclusive, rather than dismissive. But, I may be wrong. I don't really care what celebs say about anything. Anything I've ever known anything personally about, in print, has been so slanted and manipulated, it's almost unrecognizable.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
16-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Oprah's spirituality does not come as a surprise. She's been peddling a LOT of bogus science and spirituality for YEARS. And I generally agree that I think she has a good heart and good intentions. The philanthropic work she's done and the charity work are worthy of praise. Go her. Her problem is simply a lack of education. Her damage is that she gets a lot of OTHER uneducated people to buy into the same baloney that she falls for.

I think her problem here is she genuinely does not understand atheism. And no wonder, atheists have been vilified in our country. So much so that many atheists are afraid to come out about it, and so are not visible. She probably has not been exposed to a lot of good, kind, honest people who were openly atheistic. She definitely has not been exposed to many of the scientists who are both atheists and reverently in awe of the universe in which we live. And I'm not going to fault her so long as she's not willfully blinding herself.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
16-10-2013, 03:48 PM
(16-10-2013 02:54 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(16-10-2013 02:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  I see 2 problems. The first is that Oprah implies you can't be an atheist and also believe in the awe, the wonder, and the mystery - and what that was supposed to refer to, according to the article, is Diana Nyad saying that she can "weep with the beauty of this universe and be moved by all of humanity". So atheists can't be moved by the universe or by humanity? That's a bunch of BS and is right down there with the common belief that atheists have no morals.

Maybe, but without further context, I don't feel I can draw those conclusions. I just see it as Winfrey saying that in her opinion, "awe and wonder" *are as good as a god*. I see it an attempt to be inclusive, rather than dismissive. But, I may be wrong. I don't really care what celebs say about anything. Anything I've ever known anything personally about, in print, has been so slanted and manipulated, it's almost unrecognizable.
That's definitely a valid point. My posts in this thread have all been based completely on the article. There is certainly no guarantee that the article is accurate or has presented the details in the proper light.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
16-10-2013, 04:32 PM
(16-10-2013 09:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  ...
If she cannot prove either of those assertions ...

Prove?

How very un-spiritual. Cool

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Lets not forget Oprah gave us Dr. Oz. If ever oh ever a Wiz there was there was The Wizard of reiki, acupuncture and all manner of other wizardry.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
16-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Incapable of awe? Clearly she's never sat down with an atheist and watched a documentary about the life cycle of the universe.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
16-10-2013, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 06:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
You want awe? You want fucking awe? A 64 year old lesbian atheist swimming from Cuba to Florida. There's your muthafuckin awe Dohprah. Humanism for the goddam win. ... I hear next time she's gonna do it with Elián González on her back. DHS and Border Patrol already got her on the watchlist of potential human trafficking Coyotes. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-04-2014, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2014 03:51 PM by kim.)
(16-10-2013 03:17 PM)natachan Wrote:  Oprah's spirituality does not come as a surprise. She's been peddling a LOT of bogus science and spirituality for YEARS. And I generally agree that I think she has a good heart and good intentions. The philanthropic work she's done and the charity work are worthy of praise. Go her. Her problem is simply a lack of education. Her damage is that she gets a lot of OTHER uneducated people to buy into the same baloney that she falls for.

I think her problem here is she genuinely does not understand atheism. And no wonder, atheists have been vilified in our country. So much so that many atheists are afraid to come out about it, and so are not visible. She probably has not been exposed to a lot of good, kind, honest people who were openly atheistic. She definitely has not been exposed to many of the scientists who are both atheists and reverently in awe of the universe in which we live.

Yes, such accepted disinformation is disturbing at best.

(16-10-2013 03:17 PM)natachan Wrote:  And I'm not going to fault her so long as she's not willfully blinding herself.

Wink Oh then, allow me...

Oprah seems to want to do right by those around her and seems to be a positive influence on many people. She has so many wonderful and positive attributes that I don't even consider her a woman... and certainly not a black woman.

I don't mind if anyone wants to email the above two sentences to Ms Winfrey ... tell her "Hi" for me.

If ...IF... she's as intelligent as we all would hope such an influential person to be, then she must realize: what a person "considers" about another, says a lot more about that person than the person being considered.

On the subject of atheists/atheism, Oprah is ignorant and talks out her ass.

Oprah and her minions would benefit from a more diverse education.

Drinking Beverage

Sorry about the necropost.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein