Guilt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Guilt
In my family we regard guilt as a useless, selfish, emotion. Mainly because we feel guilty when we do something that others won't like even though we want to ourselves. So we all ignore it do what we want.

Morality covers larger things like stealing, but the small things like treating yourself or spending the day doing what you want are not.

Any thoughts?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2012, 11:13 PM
RE: Guilt
(08-11-2012 10:23 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  In my family we regard guilt as a useless, selfish, emotion. Mainly because we feel guilty when we do something that others won't like even though we want to ourselves. So we all ignore it do what we want.

Morality covers larger things like stealing, but the small things like treating yourself or spending the day doing what you want are not.

Any thoughts?
From what you write, it would seem as though "guilt" is part of the anti-selfish control mechanism.

Is not ignoring guilt in order to "do something that others won't like" the more selfish act?

Just sayin'

08-11-2012, 11:23 PM
The selfish part of it is hard to describe... it's like well essentially it's guilt trips. I won't do something for someone because I woulf feel wrong if I didn't. At the same time I am still willing to help, but if I don't want to I'm not gonna.

I suppose guilt is more useless than selfish.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
10-11-2012, 02:19 PM
(08-11-2012 11:23 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  The selfish part of it is hard to describe... it's like well essentially it's guilt trips. I won't do something for someone because I woulf feel wrong if I didn't. At the same time I am still willing to help, but if I don't want to I'm not gonna.

It's worse than useless, it's counterproductive.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-11-2012, 03:18 PM
(08-11-2012 11:23 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  The selfish part of it is hard to describe... it's like well essentially it's guilt trips. I won't do something for someone because I woulf feel wrong if I didn't. At the same time I am still willing to help, but if I don't want to I'm not gonna.

Guilt is not selfish. Self-pity is.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
10-11-2012, 03:36 PM
Re: Guilt
I had a philosophy teacher who wrote a book about the importance of guilt. At least to him, guilt was am essential human emotion that doesn't just make man feel bad, but it is beneficial as it makes us question our actions.

It was rather an interesting concept. The key idea that you can be at fault of something.. But that isn't always a bad thing. It usually carries a negative feeling yet English doesn't have a clear term the other way. I think guilt us a quality emotion in par with empathy, but people are taught to take that emotion negatively. Largely so by the church.

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
10-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Guilt
I have found guilt to be a necessary emotion of self-regulation. I find that the baseline for what makes us feel guilt can be displaced and harmful(I.e.-religion making homosexuals feel guilty). Cognitive dissonance is natural and guilt can help us recognize it.
[+] 1 user Likes jmiah's post
10-11-2012, 05:14 PM
(10-11-2012 03:51 PM)jmiah Wrote:  I have found guilt to be a necessary emotion of self-regulation. I find that the baseline for what makes us feel guilt can be displaced and harmful(I.e.-religion making homosexuals feel guilty). Cognitive dissonance is natural and guilt can help us recognize it.

Fuck guilt. √úbermensch doesn't give a shit any more than the Honey Badger. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-11-2012, 05:33 PM
I'll admit that I have never felt guilty, but that might be because I am an arseholse.

[Image: opforum1.png]
10-11-2012, 05:39 PM
(10-11-2012 05:33 PM)frankiej Wrote:  I'll admit that I have never felt guilty, but that might be because I am an arseholse.

Or maybe because you're not.