Gullible Mother - Christmas Gift

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Question Gullible Mother - Christmas Gift
I'm 21. I'm an atheist [of course Big Grin] and my family is still religious. Sort of. My dad grew up Mormon but he was the first one to entertain me with the idea of atheism [go figure?] I think if we sat down and talked I would find him to be an atheist, at least a skeptic. My [twin] sister used to have "Christian" has her religious status on facebook. I asked why she listed that seeing she NEVER wen't to church and complained about all the mormons. After an afternoon discussion she got frustrated and left. I was very soft with my arguments but she was really really unprepared and Christianity is hard to defend so she walked off a little upset. She later told me she was "agnostic."

So that leaves my mom. She is so gullible. Sweetest lady you will ever meet but that's the problem. I think she's the reason why my dad won't talk about his skepticism.

She's always been really caring, but believes every health article she's ever read with out checking sources or doing her own research. When I come home for breaks [from college]. She loads me up with more supplements that you can imagine. I had 9 pills sitting on the table for dinner last night. Vitamin D. Fish Oil. You name it. Sure some of it can be useful but a lot of it is crock.

So for Christmas I shouldn't have been surprised when she bought EVERYONE in our family the "Power Balance Bracelets."

http://www.powerbalance.com/powerbalance

She purchased 20. At 20 bucks a pop. That's 400 dollars.

It kind of broke my heart because I know she only does it because she genuinely thinks she's helping us. She printed out all the information on how it worked and was really pumped about it.

She doesn't take criticism well, or really anything opposing her views. She thinks I'm picking on her when I don't take all the supplements or wear her power balance bracelet. SO TO MY POINT.

I've been slowly trying to shift her mind to skepticism over time. This Christmas I purchased 50 bucks worth of books on anatomy. I bought a big "body atlas" with loads of illustrations to spark her interest [since she loves it anyways] and then moved in more complicated reading like "Your Inner Fish" by Neil Shubbin.

I just wanted to know if this is an effective way of going about it? What do you think? Have any of you had similar circumstances?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2010, 06:23 PM
RE: Gullible Mother - Christmas Gift
I think what you are doing is a nice way to help your mother, while still being good to her. When she has read the books you gave her, ask her which ones she liked the best. That will help you figure out which books to buy here next time.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
27-12-2010, 08:29 PM
What are your mom's feelings on religion? That other stuff you're talking about is just voodoo. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
28-12-2010, 07:27 AM
(27-12-2010 08:29 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  What are your mom's feelings on religion? That other stuff you're talking about is just voodoo. Wink

She would likely describe herself as spiritual. She always complains about the organized stuff but I think she does genuinely think she has an omnipotent buddy.

:/