RE: Gun Control
[Image: V2pnP76.gif]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
13-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I thought gun control meant using both hands.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
13-10-2014, 01:17 PM
(13-10-2014 01:11 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 01:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I heard the beginning - it is specious. That's not what the terminology is.
He can explain why he uses that term - so what?

I'm not talking about the "assault rifle" argument (it's pointless semantics either way), I'm talking about the bit I put in bold.

I've been deeply involved in this issue longer than you've been alive. I really don't need to hear another comedian's take on it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-10-2014, 01:44 PM
(13-10-2014 01:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 01:00 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So you listened to the statement and not the explanation of it?

I heard the beginning - it is specious. That's not what the terminology is.

Chas likes to call them "Baby Bunny Sticks." Because if someone gets shot with an AR-15 it sounds so much better if you call it a Baby Bunny Stick than an "assault rifle."

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
13-10-2014, 01:55 PM
(13-10-2014 01:44 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 01:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  I heard the beginning - it is specious. That's not what the terminology is.

Chas likes to call them "Baby Bunny Sticks." Because if someone gets shot with an AR-15 it sounds so much better if you call it a Baby Bunny Stick than an "assault rifle."

Oh, give it a rest, Min.

"Assault rifle" has an actual definition.

13-10-2014, 03:48 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Quote:The term assault rifle is a non-direct translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", "storm" as in "military assault"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler[11] as a new name for the Maschinenpistole 43,[nb 1] subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularize the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[12][13][14]

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock)
It must be capable of selective fire
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine
And it should at least have an effective range of 300 metres (330 yards)

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being called such.

For example:

Select-fire M2 Carbines are not assault rifles; their effective range is only 200 meters.[15]
Select-fire rifles such as the FN FAL battle rifle are not assault rifles; they fire full-powered rifle cartridges.
Semi-automatic-only rifles like variants of the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities.
Semi-auto rifles with fixed magazines like the SKS are not assault rifles; they do not have detachable box magazines and are not capable of automatic fire.

The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."

So, in the most technical of means you are correct....except for:

Seems easy enough to do. I suppose only those 'responsible, law-abiding gun owners' you champion are the only ones who watch Youtube?

Perhaps the definition needs a bit of work?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
13-10-2014, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 03:58 PM by Chas.)
(13-10-2014 03:48 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Quote:The term assault rifle is a non-direct translation of the German word Sturmgewehr (literally "storm rifle", "storm" as in "military assault"). The name was coined by Adolf Hitler[11] as a new name for the Maschinenpistole 43,[nb 1] subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44, the firearm generally considered the first assault rifle that served to popularize the concept and form the basis for today's modern assault rifles.

The translation assault rifle gradually became the common term for similar firearms sharing the same technical definition as the StG 44. In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[12][13][14]

It must be an individual weapon with provision to fire from the shoulder (i.e. a buttstock)
It must be capable of selective fire
It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle
Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine
And it should at least have an effective range of 300 metres (330 yards)

Rifles that meet most of these criteria, but not all, are technically not assault rifles despite frequently being called such.

For example:

Select-fire M2 Carbines are not assault rifles; their effective range is only 200 meters.[15]
Select-fire rifles such as the FN FAL battle rifle are not assault rifles; they fire full-powered rifle cartridges.
Semi-automatic-only rifles like variants of the Colt AR-15 are not assault rifles; they do not have select-fire capabilities.
Semi-auto rifles with fixed magazines like the SKS are not assault rifles; they do not have detachable box magazines and are not capable of automatic fire.

The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."

So, in the most technical of means you are correct....except for:

Seems easy enough to do. I suppose only those 'responsible, law-abiding gun owners' you champion are the only ones who watch Youtube?

Perhaps the definition needs a bit of work?

No, it doesn't. That conversion is illegal and there are severe penalties for doing it.

There is nothing "most technical" about it. This bullshit is beneath you, Min.

16-10-2014, 01:27 PM
What is it about pro gun people, taking everything down to technical terminology, as if it makes a difference?

They seem to think that if you don't know the technical ins and outs of firearms, that you aren't qualified to comment on it... That's bullshit.

I saw one video where a guy referred to an M16 as a "machine gun"... The fucking arguments in the comments section over that. Its petty as hell.

It means a meaningful discussion never happens, because everyone's still debating whether or not it matters that he called it a "machine gun" or an "assault rifle"...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post
16-10-2014, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 01:58 PM by Chas.)
(16-10-2014 01:27 PM)Sam Wrote:  What is it about pro gun people, taking everything down to technical terminology, as if it makes a difference?

They seem to think that if you don't know the technical ins and outs of firearms, that you aren't qualified to comment on it... That's bullshit.

I saw one video where a guy referred to an M16 as a "machine gun"... The fucking arguments in the comments section over that. Its petty as hell.

It means a meaningful discussion never happens, because everyone's still debating whether or not it matters that he called it a "machine gun" or an "assault rifle"...

It matters because it is language and language is used to communicate.

If you are arguing that X is ok, but Y is not then we need to agree on what X and Y actually are.

And if you mistakenly think that Z is X, but it's really a Y then you are wrong and advocating the wrong thing.

16-10-2014, 02:03 PM
(16-10-2014 01:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 01:27 PM)Sam Wrote:  What is it about pro gun people, taking everything down to technical terminology, as if it makes a difference?

It matters because it is language and language is used to communicate.

If you are arguing that X is ok, but Y is not then we need to agree on what X and Y actually are.

But does it really matter, whether or not one person refers to it by the wrong name, or by a common name, when both sides know exactly what object they are talking about.

Does it really affect the debate if one person calls something a "machine gun", and the other calls it a "selective fire rifle" or whatever? In my opinion, its nothing more than a diversion tactic... Evading real issues by focusing on triviality.

If someone talks about assault rifles being available for public purchase, whether or not that's technically the correct term, everyone knows that they mean semi-automatic rifles, with large magazines.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 2 users Like Sam's post