Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 04:02 PM
RE: Gun Control
(16-10-2014 03:38 PM)Elder Cunningham Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 03:15 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Actually I find most people wanting blanket bans to be really ignorant of guns. So they say one thing and mean another while railing about a third thing.

I'm not sure that makes sense. If you want a blanket ban you probably don't have any specifics like "assault rifles" in your argument. You want them all banned.

I think he meant blanket ban of some class, not all firearms.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2014, 04:53 PM
(16-10-2014 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  The term 'assault rifle' is being misused because it is being confused with the not-very-well-defined term 'assault weapon'.
Not quite.

I just don't think the pro gun control people are referring to the gun lexicon or the legal lexicon.
Rather they are simply using the English terms of "assault" and "rifle" and are using common English grammar by putting these two words together.

The gun term "assault rifle" really has nothing to do with the English definition of the word "assault". So I do find that term quite confusing. Would have been simpler to call them "selective fire rifles".

But it is what it is.

Of course the pro gun control people are not worried about the "selective fire" capability. They are worried about the rapid fire ability and the ability for the gun to use rapid fire with lots of bullets which improves the chances of a massacre.
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 04:57 PM
(16-10-2014 04:53 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  The term 'assault rifle' is being misused because it is being confused with the not-very-well-defined term 'assault weapon'.
Not quite.

I just don't think the pro gun control people are referring to the gun lexicon or the legal lexicon.
Rather they are simply using the English terms of "assault" and "rifle" and are using common English grammar by putting these two words together.

The gun term "assault rifle" really has nothing to do with the English definition of the word "assault". So I do find that term quite confusing. Would have been simpler to call them "selective fire rifles".

But it is what it is.

I think their intent is to confuse and confabulate.

Quote:Of course the pro gun control people are not worried about the "selective fire" capability. They are worried about the rapid fire ability and the ability for the gun to use rapid fire with lots of bullets which improves the chances of a massacre.

Although that is pretty marginal. Changing magazines is quick.

Sure, it takes a finite amount of time.

16-10-2014, 05:04 PM
(16-10-2014 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Although that is pretty marginal. Changing magazines is quick.

It might give a person carrying a small pistol the time they need to pop their head up and aim their pistol at the attacker.
16-10-2014, 05:05 PM
(16-10-2014 05:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 04:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Although that is pretty marginal. Changing magazines is quick.

It might give a person carrying a small pistol the time they need to pop their head up and aim their pistol at the attacker.

I hope that person isn't restricted to a magazine limited to a few shots.

16-10-2014, 05:15 PM
My understanding of the term "assault rifle" is that it is a semi or fully-automatic weapon, firing an intermediate round... As in, somewhere in between a low powered pistol cartridge and a high powered rifle cartridge.

Somewhere between a sub machine gun and a battle rifle...

In all honesty, I personally don't think semi-automatic fire, or large magazines need to be banned anymore... A lever action rifle has a pretty high rate of fire, and some have high capacity internal magazines (although reloading is very slow). Even a bolt action rifle can be cycled pretty fast in the right hands...

And I suppose this is kind of comes back to my point, that the debate becomes too focused on technical details, rather than the issue as a whole...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
16-10-2014, 06:11 PM
(16-10-2014 05:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 05:04 PM)Stevil Wrote:  It might give a person carrying a small pistol the time they need to pop their head up and aim their pistol at the attacker.

I hope that person isn't restricted to a magazine limited to a few shots.
Hopefully they are a good shot. Don't want any stray bullets hitting people.
How many bullets do they need?
16-10-2014, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 06:55 PM by pablo.)
I think the term "assault rifle" is a deceptive device used by gun control proponents to make the weapons sound scarier and more dangerous.
People with a cause like to twist words and meanings to suit their side of the argument.
Example: Anti-abortion activists using the term "pro-life'.
I don't think it is at all accidental.
Using clear, well defined terms (especially in legislation) is always a good idea. It keeps everyone involved on the same page.
16-10-2014, 06:55 PM
(16-10-2014 06:46 PM)pablo Wrote:  I think the term "assault rifle" is a deceptive device used by gun control proponents to make the weapons sound scarier and more dangerous.
People with a cause like to twist words and meanings to suit their side of the argument.
Example: Anti-abortion activists using the term "pro-life'.
I don't think it is at all accidental.
I just think the pro gun control people want to be safe, want their kids to be safe. They have no financial gain from this stance, and really have no insentive to just argue for the sake of it.

"assault rife" is a term coined by the gun people right? they use it to label guns with selective fire mode.
Maybe calling it "assault rife" rather than "selective fire rifle" made it easier to market the gun to the army or to the public that go for that sort of thing.
16-10-2014, 07:16 PM
(16-10-2014 01:27 PM)Sam Wrote:  What is it about pro gun people, taking everything down to technical terminology, as if it makes a difference?

They seem to think that if you don't know the technical ins and outs of firearms, that you aren't qualified to comment on it... That's bullshit.

I saw one video where a guy referred to an M16 as a "machine gun"... The fucking arguments in the comments section over that. Its petty as hell.

It means a meaningful discussion never happens, because everyone's still debating whether or not it matters that he called it a "machine gun" or an "assault rifle"...

Some might call this a "street howitzer".

[Image: Denix-1881-Street-Howitzer-1114.jpg]

This is a "real" howitzer.

[Image: m114_155mm_howitzer_new3.jpg]

My neighbor owning an operational model of the latter would cause me some concern Confused Not so much the former Tongue