Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2014, 08:18 PM
RE: Gun Control

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
16-10-2014, 08:29 PM
(16-10-2014 08:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

"You could poke him and really fuck his shit up."

"Don't try this at home, I'm a professional. I'm a professional Russian."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2014, 08:33 PM
Every time I see this vid I get that movie quote from Bad Boys 2 where Peter Stomare is like "the Russian grim reaper is here" playing in my head Laugh out load
What? I only saw that movie a couple times Confused
Tongue

16-10-2014, 08:38 PM
(16-10-2014 08:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

"There is no more deadly weapon system in the world, than a Russian with two AA12s..."

Clearly this bloke's never heard of the Trident ballistic missile system...

I hereby challenge him to a duel...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
16-10-2014, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 16-10-2014 10:01 PM by evenheathen.)
(16-10-2014 07:43 PM)Sam Wrote:  I know of a bloke who bought an old T55 tank with a live main gun... He had it parked in his back yard.

I don't know what he had to do to be allowed that, but he celebrated New Year by firing a few blanks... And shattered the rear windows of his house.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitions be damned, I call any gun used to inflict harm on another being an assault rifle.

I think Jeffrey's and the OP's point is that it's not rocket science. If you decrease the guns, you decrease the gun violence and that's what we should be working towards.

The numbers don't lie. In countries that have gone the way of strict gun control, gun violence has been reduced accordingly. America's numbers do nothing but reinforce that the opposite is also true, so it's pretty obvious that the best solution to america's gun violence problem is stricter gun control.

I don't see where the argument to the contrary is. Chas, the best argument you have for your right to have a small armament is that everyone else has guns too so you need your own to compensate. There is regress, and there is progress. Gun control is about regress, you advocate progress, yet the history and the numbers do nothing but show that more guns equals more death and violence.

At some point it's gotta stop.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
16-10-2014, 09:13 PM
(16-10-2014 08:01 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 07:43 PM)Sam Wrote:  I know of a bloke who bought an old T55 tank with a live main gun... He had it parked in his back yard.

I don't know what he had to do to be allowed that, but he celebrated New Year by firing a few blanks... And shattered the rear windows of his house.

Psst... thread started off about a comedian so...
I always wanted a working Tiger II to use as my daily driver Laugh out load

[Image: tigerii008cw_19a.jpg]

I wouldn't need a working main gun, though! Unfortunately, the only one left that still runs, and moves occasionally, can be found at the Musee de Blindes in Saumur, France, so I'll probably never own one Sadcryface

I have never wept with joy... I would weep for my chariot Weeping Hug Weeping Heart Weeping

I'd love to park one up illegally with a sign "tow this bitch".

Regarding guns in America. The issue could be solved with tighter licensing requirements. I don't know how it works now but you could do it on a "tier" system.
So 'tier 1' could require you to pay a fair, be of a certain age and sign up to a register. That will give you access to hunting rifles and antiques (like ww2 and prior sort of stuff). Every time you purchased a hunting rifle or whatever the serial number was added to your file in the registry. 'tier 2' could require you take a sort of practical test and be signed off by a professional. Much like how car license practical test works. That could give you access to handguns and some other stuff. And than 'tier 3' could require a quick psych test and another practical test and that'd allow you to buy AR-15's and shit. In all cases you should be required to actually go into the store to purchase the weapon and fill out forms and provide ID. That data (that you purchased that gun) is than added to your register. No ammo or mag restrictions except maybe on certain higher caliber, semi/full-auto weapons.

I don't think that's too much to ask. It leaves the door open for people to actually own guns but makes them harder to obtain.
16-10-2014, 10:11 PM
(13-10-2014 12:55 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(13-10-2014 12:43 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Nope. Completely different. What a shame you're missing out.

Angel
Weeping
Damnit DLJ! I just checked the video and it was exactly what I thought it was! Sad

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
16-10-2014, 11:38 PM
(16-10-2014 09:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitions be damned, I call any gun used to inflict harm on another being an assault rifle.

I think Jeffrey's and the OP's point is that it's not rocket science. If you decrease the guns, you decrease the gun violence and that's what we should be working towards.

The numbers don't lie. In countries that have gone the way of strict gun control, gun violence has been reduced accordingly. America's numbers do nothing but reinforce that the opposite is also true, so it's pretty obvious that the best solution to america's gun violence problem is stricter gun control.

I don't see where the argument to the contrary is. Chas, the best argument you have for your right to have a small armament is that everyone else has guns too so you need your own to compensate. There is regress, and there is progress. Gun control is about regress, you advocate progress, yet the history and the numbers do nothing but show that more guns equals more death and violence.

At some point it's gotta stop.

Except Switzerland disproves your point. Lots of guns, not much violence.

16-10-2014, 11:43 PM
(16-10-2014 08:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 07:31 PM)Chas Wrote:  But the dangers vary by type of weapon, so some minimum level of knowledge is required for a productive discussion.
Sure, but arguing about the term "assault rifle" adds no value to the gun debate.

No one cares about the "selective fire" mechanism.

The argument is about public safety and government intervention.

I agree that it is useful for people involved in this debate to know that "assault rifle" is a term which refers to a "selective fire" mechanism on a rifle. Useful to know because then they can agree to move on with the discussion and no longer focus on a "selective fire" mechanism.

I'm not focusing on anything but communication. Don't be like some creationist and argue from ignorance.

16-10-2014, 11:49 PM
(16-10-2014 09:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 08:01 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Psst... thread started off about a comedian so...
I always wanted a working Tiger II to use as my daily driver Laugh out load

[Image: tigerii008cw_19a.jpg]

I wouldn't need a working main gun, though! Unfortunately, the only one left that still runs, and moves occasionally, can be found at the Musee de Blindes in Saumur, France, so I'll probably never own one Sadcryface

I have never wept with joy... I would weep for my chariot Weeping Hug Weeping Heart Weeping

I'd love to park one up illegally with a sign "tow this bitch".

Regarding guns in America. The issue could be solved with tighter licensing requirements. I don't know how it works now but you could do it on a "tier" system.
So 'tier 1' could require you to pay a fair, be of a certain age and sign up to a register. That will give you access to hunting rifles and antiques (like ww2 and prior sort of stuff). Every time you purchased a hunting rifle or whatever the serial number was added to your file in the registry. 'tier 2' could require you take a sort of practical test and be signed off by a professional. Much like how car license practical test works. That could give you access to handguns and some other stuff. And than 'tier 3' could require a quick psych test and another practical test and that'd allow you to buy AR-15's and shit. In all cases you should be required to actually go into the store to purchase the weapon and fill out forms and provide ID. That data (that you purchased that gun) is than added to your register. No ammo or mag restrictions except maybe on certain higher caliber, semi/full-auto weapons.

I don't think that's too much to ask. It leaves the door open for people to actually own guns but makes them harder to obtain.

The state I live in already has tiered licensing.

Your examples aren't good, though. But straightening those out would mire us in actual facts. Drinking Beverage