Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2014, 12:19 AM
RE: Gun Control
(16-10-2014 11:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm not focusing on anything but communication. Don't be like some creationist and argue from ignorance.
Where the hell did that come from?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2014, 12:24 AM
(17-10-2014 12:19 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 11:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm not focusing on anything but communication. Don't be like some creationist and argue from ignorance.
Where the hell did that come from?

I am responding to your accusation that I'm focusing on details when I am not.

And I am commenting that ignoring facts that are necessary to the argument is not going to get us anywhere.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2014, 12:27 AM
(16-10-2014 11:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except Switzerland disproves your point. Lots of guns, not much violence.

http://www.iansa.org/news/2010/02/switze...l-partners

Quote:76% of the homicide-suicide cases in Switzerland involve the use of firearms, very often a gun kept at home by Swiss army reservists, according to a new study by the University Institute of Forensic Medicine of Lausanne (Switzerland). In 88% of the cases the attacker was a man and the majority of the victims were women, usually the wife or partner of the gunman. Swiss activists say that this study supports their calls for a stricter firearms law that protects women from armed domestic violence.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
17-10-2014, 12:35 AM
(17-10-2014 12:27 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 11:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  Except Switzerland disproves your point. Lots of guns, not much violence.

http://www.iansa.org/news/2010/02/switze...l-partners

Quote:76% of the homicide-suicide cases in Switzerland involve the use of firearms, very often a gun kept at home by Swiss army reservists, according to a new study by the University Institute of Forensic Medicine of Lausanne (Switzerland). In 88% of the cases the attacker was a man and the majority of the victims were women, usually the wife or partner of the gunman. Swiss activists say that this study supports their calls for a stricter firearms law that protects women from armed domestic violence.

So what?
What is the murder rate in Switzerland? What is the rate of gun-related crime?

In other words, how much violence is there?

The point being that it is very low while gun ownership is very high. It is not a violent society - the guns don't cause it to be a violent society.

17-10-2014, 01:17 AM
(17-10-2014 12:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 12:19 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Where the hell did that come from?

I am responding to your accusation that I'm focusing on details when I am not.
I wasn't making any accusations..

I was agreeing with the definition of "assault rifle" and asking to move on the conversation from there.
17-10-2014, 01:19 AM
(17-10-2014 12:35 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 12:27 AM)Stevil Wrote:  http://www.iansa.org/news/2010/02/switze...l-partners

So what?
What is the murder rate in Switzerland? What is the rate of gun-related crime?

In other words, how much violence is there?

The point being that it is very low while gun ownership is very high. It is not a violent society - the guns don't cause it to be a violent society.
Guns don't cause anything, they are just objects.

But they do seem to be used by jealous and angry boyfriends and husbands in order to assault/kill their spouses.
17-10-2014, 07:07 AM
(16-10-2014 11:38 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-10-2014 09:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Definitions be damned, I call any gun used to inflict harm on another being an assault rifle.

I think Jeffrey's and the OP's point is that it's not rocket science. If you decrease the guns, you decrease the gun violence and that's what we should be working towards.

The numbers don't lie. In countries that have gone the way of strict gun control, gun violence has been reduced accordingly. America's numbers do nothing but reinforce that the opposite is also true, so it's pretty obvious that the best solution to america's gun violence problem is stricter gun control.

I don't see where the argument to the contrary is. Chas, the best argument you have for your right to have a small armament is that everyone else has guns too so you need your own to compensate. There is regress, and there is progress. Gun control is about regress, you advocate progress, yet the history and the numbers do nothing but show that more guns equals more death and violence.

At some point it's gotta stop.

Except Switzerland disproves your point. Lots of guns, not much violence.

I'm not entirely sure on this, so I might well be wrong, but I do remember hearing that Switzerland's gun crime rate is one of the highest in the world for its population... If it's population were expanded to the same size as the US, we'd see an even higher rate of crime.

I'll have a look for a source for that, but as I said, it's just a figure I picked up somewhere and might be complete bullshit.
17-10-2014, 07:15 AM
(17-10-2014 07:07 AM)Sam Wrote:  

I'm not entirely sure on this, so I might well be wrong, but I do remember hearing that Switzerland's gun crime rate is one of the highest in the world for its population... If it's population were expanded to the same size as the US, we'd see an even higher rate of crime.

I'll have a look for a source for that, but as I said, it's just a figure I picked up somewhere and might be complete bullshit.

Then maybe you should have verified it first. Drinking Beverage

17-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Alright ignore that Chas, I can't find anything to back it up...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
17-10-2014, 07:20 AM
(17-10-2014 07:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-10-2014 07:07 AM)Sam Wrote:  I'm not entirely sure on this, so I might well be wrong, but I do remember hearing that Switzerland's gun crime rate is one of the highest in the world for its population... If it's population were expanded to the same size as the US, we'd see an even higher rate of crime.

Then maybe you should have verified it first. Drinking Beverage

It's not exactly easy to do this on a mobile you know... I can't link to pages, and Google Chrome doesn't work properly. So it takes forever to find anything online.

But, I thought I'd share it in case you wanted to check it out...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]