Gun Control - a discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2012, 11:40 AM
RE: Gun Control - a discussion
(25-07-2012 11:29 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 11:18 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Who in the above replies said the Constitution is devine and unchangeable? Do you have problems with hunters too or just individuals owning guns?

I'm not actively anti or pro hunting. I just see it as a questionable activity with very few good grounds... none of which outweigh the problems of gun ownership. I can see that it would be "fun" to go hunting, but I also don't admire those who do. So... you bested a non-violent, non-problematic creature of nature using a high-tech piece of machinery? Oh, you are so awesome, you really are. Here... advance a few rungs on the Ladder of Manliness ™.

There are better ways for people with low self-esteem to improve themselves. That's all.

I'm having trouble taking you seriously, now.

Your biggest assertion is that guns make you feel manly and/or the gun owner has low self esteem.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-07-2012, 12:11 PM
(25-07-2012 11:29 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 11:18 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Who in the above replies said the Constitution is devine and unchangeable? Do you have problems with hunters too or just individuals owning guns?

I'm not actively anti or pro hunting. I just see it as a questionable activity with very few good grounds... none of which outweigh the problems of gun ownership. I can see that it would be "fun" to go hunting, but I also don't admire those who do. So... you bested a non-violent, non-problematic creature of nature using a high-tech piece of machinery? Oh, you are so awesome, you really are. Here... advance a few rungs on the Ladder of Manliness ™.

There are better ways for people with low self-esteem to improve themselves. That's all.

Um, ya. So you are better because you go to the grocery store to buy your meat? Because that steak that was tortured on a feedlot is the moral high ground?? Take a step down from that pedestal buddy. Just last saturday I shot my dinner. It didn't make me feel manly. It made me feel proud that I was feeding my family without torturing an animal.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-07-2012, 12:14 PM
(25-07-2012 11:29 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  I'm not actively anti or pro hunting. I just see it as a questionable activity with very few good grounds... none of which outweigh the problems of gun ownership. I can see that it would be "fun" to go hunting, but I also don't admire those who do. So... you bested a non-violent, non-problematic creature of nature using a high-tech piece of machinery? Oh, you are so awesome, you really are. Here... advance a few rungs on the Ladder of Manliness ™.

I don't hunt for my self-esteem.
Red Celt' Wrote:  If it's for the resulting food... go to a supermarket, FFS. I mean... it isn't as if there's any shortage of dead things that are available for consumption. We kill fuckloads at an industrial level.

This is why I hunt. I don't want to eat crap killed at an industrial level.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
25-07-2012, 12:17 PM
My personal views on hunting is a separate issue. Whether I'm pro/anti/indifferent, the problem is with gun ownership... which includes their purpose and suitability in a civilised world. I have my own views on that (which you obviously disagree with) but let's not go off on a tangential discussion aside from the actual issue of gun control.

Do you actually deny that America has a problem? Is it too unpatriotic to admit to such a thing, or does it just irritate your nadgers when a non-American says it?

You can't claim that they're needed for self-defence without ignoring the bigger picture; why are they only needed in America for self-defence? Well, because everyone has guns. That isn't an answer to the problem - that's just further verification that there is a problem.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-07-2012, 12:24 PM
(25-07-2012 12:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Um, ya. So you are better because you go to the grocery store to buy your meat? Because that steak that was tortured on a feedlot is the moral high ground?? Take a step down from that pedestal buddy. Just last saturday I shot my dinner. It didn't make me feel manly. It made me feel proud that I was feeding my family without torturing an animal.

No moral high ground here. Just logic.

A) "I want to eat meat. Is there meat for me to get?"
B) "Why, yes... yes there is."
A) "I'll go make more meat."
B) "But we have enough... if you don't eat it, it will only be binned or sent as animal feed, so we can make more meat."
B) "But you really don't need to deprive more animals than we already..."
A) "More meat."

And then consider the problem of gun ownership. Is the above justification for everybody to have access to a gun? Why no... no, it isn't.
25-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Also, you make a lot of claims without any facts.

Read this.

[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Also, a Harvard Law study (here) shows no correlation between gun ownership and gun crime.

25-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey, anyone can provide stats that back-up their own position. Try this one:-

[Image: International.gif]
25-07-2012, 12:34 PM
(25-07-2012 12:24 PM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(25-07-2012 12:11 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Um, ya. So you are better because you go to the grocery store to buy your meat? Because that steak that was tortured on a feedlot is the moral high ground?? Take a step down from that pedestal buddy. Just last saturday I shot my dinner. It didn't make me feel manly. It made me feel proud that I was feeding my family without torturing an animal.

No moral high ground here. Just logic.

A) "I want to eat meat. Is there meat for me to get?"
B) "Why, yes... yes there is."
B) "But we have enough... if you don't eat it, it will only be binned or sent as animal feed, so we can make more meat."
B) "But you really don't need to deprive more animals than we already..."
A) "More meat."

And then consider the problem of gun ownership. Is the above justification for everybody to have access to a gun? Why no... no, it isn't.

[Image: Strawmanguthing_1968.jpg]

25-07-2012, 12:40 PM
Run for the hills... KC has unleashed the Strawman claim!