Gun Control (is Bullshit?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Gun Control (is Bullshit?)
OK, like Abortion and Capital Punishment, this is another great one that's long overdue in the politics section. Everyone with a soapbox and an opinion, get ready and give it all ya' got!

To get the ball rolling, I'm largely against gun control. I think the Assault Weapon's ban was a stupid law that did nothing to curb crime and got passed by scaring ignorant people and who don't own guns and shoot, thinking they were banning machine guns when the law merely banned a hunting rifle with a flash hider or a pistol grip (you could still buy the same gun without these cosmetic features legally). Waiting periods, magazine bans, purchase limits only hurt lawful owners, and not bad guys who don't obey them (remember there is a reason we call them criminals.). I am in favor, however, of a law requiring a criminal background check for all gun transfers, both FFL sales and private exchanges, but after that most of the rules and regs are useless in preventing crime.

Penn & Teller did a piece on gun control for their series Bullshit! as well

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

But, as I said, this is a public forum. Got an opinion on gun control? Say it!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
01-06-2012, 12:30 PM
RE: Gun Control (is Bullshit?)
Isn't it strange how countries who have more gun regulations have far less gun crime?

Gun controls are good. If I go out and happen to get into an argument with someone the worst that can happen is we end up swinging for each other. If guns were legal one of us could easily end up killing the other in the heat of the moment. I'm glad someone else doesn't have the opportunity to do that to me and I'm equally glad I don't have the opportunity to do that to someone else.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 6 users Like Hughsie's post
01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
(01-06-2012 12:30 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Isn't it strange how countries who have more gun regulations have far less gun crime?

Gun controls are good. If I go out and happen to get into an argument with someone the worst that can happen is we end up swinging for each other. If guns were legal one of us could easily end up killing the other in the heat of the moment. I'm glad someone else doesn't have the opportunity to do that to me and I'm equally glad I don't have the opportunity to do that to someone else.
You're telling me you would kill someone over something as trivial as an argument?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

01-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Heat of the moment, bud. Who knows what one might do...

[Image: opforum1.png]
01-06-2012, 12:43 PM
(01-06-2012 12:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  You're telling me you would kill someone over something as trivial as an argument?

I'm saying that most of us have been in that situation where we've been pushed that bit too far, have lost all control for at least a few seconds, and have done something we strongly regret such as taking a swing for someone or throwing something heavy/sharp at someone. I don't know but I would imagine the majority of assaults aren't pre-planned attacks but stem from someone temporarily subcomming to rage.

Given that such events aren't a particularly rare situation and considering people can lose all self-control in such moments of rage it seems rather risky to have everyone walking the streets with a gun.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
01-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Tongue

01-06-2012, 01:32 PM
(01-06-2012 01:02 PM)frankiej Wrote:  Tongue
I guess firearms training for minors and safe gun handling weren't one of her 'useless talents', were they?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

01-06-2012, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2012 01:40 PM by TrulyX.)
(01-06-2012 12:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  You're telling me you would kill someone over something as trivial as an argument?

I don't know where you're from, but hell yeah, that's how the shit happens.

"Gun control means using both hands in my land"

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
01-06-2012, 01:38 PM
(01-06-2012 01:33 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  

I don't know where you're from, but hell yeah, that's how the shit happens.

"Gun control means using both hands in my land"
No, I'd agree. Sounds to me like you, Hughsie and frankiej should not own a gun if you can't exercise self control. I'd also steer clear of knives, swords, Bows, clubs, baseball bats, tire irons or anything else that you could use as a deadly weapon. It's not worth it to spend the rest of your lives in prison.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
I do love playing with weapons... but I prefer things like power tools. Always fun walking round a DIY shop looking at the tools wondering what would work against a zombie. I can't say I'm much of a fan of guns.

[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post