Gun Control (is Bullshit?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2012, 12:41 AM
RE: Gun Control (is Bullshit?)
(07-06-2012 09:59 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If one person has a gun it is clear who's in charge and he gets the money or whatever then buggers off. But if two people have a gun someone's getting shot..
So really it comes down to weather you value material possessions over some strangers life. Which I guess why gun related murder is so high in America.
It's a bit difficult though. Because in a highly armed society, a robber is going to be armed no question. An unarmed homeowner is a. asking to be robbed a *lot*, b. completely at the mercy of the intruder. If the intruder decides not to bugger off, but to have a bit of fun, maybe rape someone, maybe shoot the guy in the leg... maybe kill him anyway... he's got the gun so you do as he says. I can see the motivation for owning a gun definitely.

In order to counter this you *have* to guarantee that the baddies don't have guns too... I think Azaraith's suggested gun laws are a good starting point, although they stand a snowball's chance in hell of being implemented Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2012, 05:40 AM
Thinking about this some more, why is security something that we do as individuals? I guess it's nice to have gun as a last resort, but the way I'd get around the armed robbery thing is the whole neighbourhood watch idea. Now only one guy really needs to have a gun, he can be a paid security guard, with training etc. He's awake at night so he's alert and can use the gun safely (well, more safely than some groggy guy getting up in the middle of the night to investigate kitchen noises). If you live in a larger complex you can pay more security guards. This way individual gun ownership isn't as necessary... thoughts?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-06-2012, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 08:16 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(08-06-2012 05:40 AM)morondog Wrote:  Thinking about this some more, why is security something that we do as individuals? I guess it's nice to have gun as a last resort, but the way I'd get around the armed robbery thing is the whole neighbourhood watch idea. Now only one guy really needs to have a gun, he can be a paid security guard, with training etc. He's awake at night so he's alert and can use the gun safely (well, more safely than some groggy guy getting up in the middle of the night to investigate kitchen noises). If you live in a larger complex you can pay more security guards. This way individual gun ownership isn't as necessary... thoughts?
The biggest problem here is response time. There is only about 1 private security personnel or public police officers per 2500 people in the US. It can take them anywhere from 6 to 30 minutes for them to respond to an emergency call, depending on variables like traffic, officer locations, etc. Violent encounters are over in 6 to 30 seconds, with the loser going to the morgue. An individual armed with a gun, properly trained can effectively respond to the threat much faster.

Also, and bear this in mind, private security personnel or public police officers HAVE NO OBLIGATION TO RESPOND TO A 911 CALL OR SIMILAR DISTRESS CALL. If their departments feel it's too risky, they won't dispatch officers. Pray you don't live in a dangerous part of town.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
08-06-2012, 08:20 AM
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2012, 08:29 AM
The response time issue is one of the reasons I tentatively support guns for self defense. My issues are with lack of proper training and education and very loose/lax sales of guns, which result in people buying guns that do not regard them with the respect and care that they require. Gun accidents with kids happen and are preventable, if people are educated. Part of that is to restrict access (for kids - I.E. keep them in a safe or hidden with good locks on them), another is to educate kids about them (the parent's job) to remove their natural curiosity about guns and make sure they know not to mess with them or treat them as toys.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 3 users Like Azaraith's post
08-06-2012, 08:49 AM
(08-06-2012 08:29 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  The response time issue is one of the reasons I tentatively support guns for self defense. My issues are with lack of proper training and education and very loose/lax sales of guns, which result in people buying guns that do not regard them with the respect and care that they require. Gun accidents with kids happen and are preventable, if people are educated. Part of that is to restrict access (for kids - I.E. keep them in a safe or hidden with good locks on them), another is to educate kids about them (the parent's job) to remove their natural curiosity about guns and make sure they know not to mess with them or treat them as toys.
It's true. I know plenty of yokels - see 'em on the ranges - doing unsafe things and I'll keep a sharp eye on everyone there. Gun owners could really stand to be better prepped on handling firearms for said purposes. I'm just not sure how to implement this. And even with training, people are still careless, as these two cops demonstrate.

This Las Vegas Metro cop nearly kills a cuffed and restrained suspect because she can't remember not to touch the trigger of her sidearm until she's ready to use it.

Then there's Mr. I'm-the-only-one-here-who's-professional-enough-to-handle-a-Glock-Fowty.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

08-06-2012, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2012 08:59 AM by Azaraith.)
lol. I've seen the second video before. Worst I've seen is some idiot at the range that faced away from the range and fired into the ground to check if he was clear. Almost made me tear him a new one, but instead I notified the range officer. The bullet could have easily hit a rock/cement/etc and ricocheted or sent fragments into the people next to him...

I think it's just carelessness from getting used to them plus a little bit of "it'll never happen to me" syndrome.

Better without God, and happier too.
08-06-2012, 02:37 PM
(08-06-2012 08:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
You're talking about this as if it was something that happens on a regular basis, let alone at all. How many times has there been an intruder in your house that you had to defend yourself against?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-06-2012, 02:45 PM
All these issues with self-defence are getting brought up and I think it's so weird that places like the UK, that don't allow gun possession, don't have all these issues that are being touted as inevitable.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
08-06-2012, 03:16 PM
(08-06-2012 02:45 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  All these issues with self-defence are getting brought up and I think it's so weird that places like the UK, that don't allow gun possession, don't have all these issues that are being touted as inevitable.
Well they do but its comparing apples to oranges. Great Britian does not believe its citizens have the right to defend themselves in their homes using deadly force. British courts even ruled as such and people can be sent to prison for attempting to defend themselves from prowlers or other threats.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"