Gun Control (is Bullshit?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM
RE: Gun Control (is Bullshit?)
(01-06-2012 01:38 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  No, I'd agree. Sounds to me like you, Hughsie and frankiej should not own a gun if you can't exercise self control. I'd also steer clear of knives, swords, Bows, clubs, baseball bats, tire irons or anything else that you could use as a deadly weapon. It's not worth it to spend the rest of your lives in prison.

This can explain better than me...... I'm not worrying about me killing. People get murdered over bullshit all of the time.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
I used to think gun control was bad, because then only criminals will have guns. On the other hand, now that I think about it, a gun is an object deliberately made to end life. Why would it be considered a great idea not to regulate it ?
01-06-2012, 02:20 PM
(01-06-2012 12:43 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 12:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  You're telling me you would kill someone over something as trivial as an argument?
I'm saying that most of us have been in that situation where we've been pushed that bit too far, have lost all control for at least a few seconds, and have done something we strongly regret such as taking a swing for someone or throwing something heavy/sharp at someone. I don't know but I would imagine the majority of assaults aren't pre-planned attacks but stem from someone temporarily subcomming to rage.

Given that such events aren't a particularly rare situation and considering people can lose all self-control in such moments of rage it seems rather risky to have everyone walking the streets with a gun.
But it's okay for the lunatic control freaks to yell on their cell phones, in public, at their loved ones, as if their relationships with people is perfect and is violated by the people that they say they have compassion for, and want to make a happy world for them to live in with their cultural values???

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
01-06-2012, 02:22 PM
(01-06-2012 01:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  I used to think gun control was bad, because then only criminals will have guns. On the other hand, now that I think about it, a gun is an object deliberately made to end life. Why would it be considered a great idea not to regulate it ?
Because we have an over population problem

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
01-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I'm all for gun control.
Certainly people need valid reasons to own guns and certain guns, ones that are designed for killing people, aren't really necessary unless you are in the army and expecting to go to war.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
01-06-2012, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2012 09:58 PM by DeepThought.)
One of the arguments I hear from pro gun people (usually Americans) is they have the right to defend themselves - (overthrowing oppressive government - yada yada)...

If it came to American citizens versus the American law-enforcement/military - sorry to say... You are SCREWED... You would be cut down en masse.
Peaceful resolution is your only option in those situations.

Your pissy rifles and shotguns do nothing for you but give the illusion of security.

In Aus it's really difficult and expensive to get a gun on the black market. I think we are better off that way. It limits the danger.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
01-06-2012, 10:20 PM
(01-06-2012 09:55 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  One of the arguments I hear from pro gun people (usually Americans) is they have the right to defend themselves - (overthrowing oppressive government - yada yada)...

If it came to American citizens versus the American law-enforcement/military - sorry to say... You are SCREWED... You would be cut down en masse.

Your pissy rifles and shotguns do nothing for you but give the illusion of security.

In Aus it's really difficult and expensive to get a gun on the black market. I think we are better off that way. It limits the danger.

If that were true, the US would have crushed the Taliban by Christmas 2001 and wrested control of Iraq within 90 days of the fall of Baghdad.

The truth is ragtag groups of well motivated fighters equipped with firearms and explosives can wreak havoc against even the most sophisticated armies on the planet. It's called asymmetric warfare. Fighting such a group using a regulated military is akin to trying to kill ants with a pile driver. It worked for the Colonial Militia in the American Revolution, it worked for the Viet Cong, it worked for the Tamil Guerillas, it worked for the Columbia. FARC, and it works for the Taliban. An armed American public has given large militaries pause before. Japanese Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku cautioned Hirohito about invading the USA, saying 'there will be a rifle behind every blade of grass to greet us.'

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
01-06-2012, 11:08 PM
(01-06-2012 10:20 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(01-06-2012 09:55 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  One of the arguments I hear from pro gun people (usually Americans) is they have the right to defend themselves - (overthrowing oppressive government - yada yada)...

If that were true, the US would have crushed the Taliban by Christmas 2001 and wrested control of Iraq within 90 days of the fall of Baghdad.

The truth is ragtag groups of well motivated fighters equipped with firearms and explosives can wreak havoc against even the most sophisticated armies on the planet. It's called asymmetric warfare. Fighting such a group using a regulated military is akin to trying to kill ants with a pile driver. It worked for the Colonial Militia in the American Revolution, it worked for the Viet Cong, it worked for the Tamil Guerillas, it worked for the Columbia. FARC, and it works for the Taliban. An armed American public has given large militaries pause before. Japanese Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku cautioned Hirohito about invading the USA, saying 'there will be a rifle behind every blade of grass to greet us.'

I have heard that quote before but I do not think it was to Emperor Hirohito as he was basically imprisoned by the military leaders of Japan.

Back to the discussion though. Look at the Brady Bill. It was put in place for a reason as some mentally instable person was able to get hold of a firearm and look what he did with it. That is bascially reason enough to have gun control.

Under Repair.
01-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Gun control eh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

Just have a scroll through that for a minute.

Here's a quick example.

Quote: October 17, 1961: Denver, Colorado
Tennyson Beard, 14, got into an argument with William Hachmeister, 15,
at Morey Junior High School. During the argument Beard pulled out a .38
caliber revolver and shot at Hachmeister, wounding him. A stray bullet
also struck Deborah Faith Humphrey, 14, who died from her gunshot wound.
How is that a 14 year old boy has such easy access to a .38caliber handgun. That's not a small handgun. (I mean it's no 50 but you know what I mean..., it's not 9mm either).

Now if that kid didn't have access to a handgun all that would have been was a schoolyard punch up.

The fact is that if you make guns so easily accessible then gun crime is going to skyrocket.
And I am sure you can find plenty of statistics about the relationship between gun laws and gun crime.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
02-06-2012, 01:07 AM
(01-06-2012 10:20 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  If that were true, the US would have crushed the Taliban by Christmas 2001 and wrested control of Iraq within 90 days of the fall of Baghdad.

Can you envision a situation where the US army can actually go to war against its own citizens though. To have this scenario of guerilla fighters etc you'd have to have another civil war. Those guys in the army have civilian families. If some issue is so unjust or so emotive that a politician could feel the need to send the army in? I mean... I can think of the occupy wall street campaign as the sort of situation where the army might be used... but you're asking *citizens*, en masse, to take up arms against the army. It would take a *lot* to get them to do that,much more than incidents of brutality, probably more than even some blatant injustice like a massacre in a small town. For a start I'm pretty sure that that's illegal according to your laws, I'm guessing it's a capital crime, so these citizens have to be totally desperate in order to go down that road.