Gun Control (is Bullshit?)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2012, 06:53 AM
RE: Gun Control (is Bullshit?)
(02-06-2012 05:24 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(02-06-2012 04:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  But it's not enough. Let's outlaw private ownership and operation of motor vehicles, too. Dodgy

The danger to freedom of a having disarmed populace outweighs the cost in accidental deaths and spur-of-the-moment shootings.
We should have rational laws concerning gun ownership, and we largely do (in the U.S.). We could review and modify them to make them better, but banning guns is not the answer.

I'm a responsible citizen with the right to protect myself. I demand personal ownership of a set of nuclear weapons, refusing me this violates my freedom.
Don't be silly. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
(02-06-2012 07:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Hughsie, I don't think YOU should have access to a gun. All of these comments are just projectionism. I believe YOU would kill someone in a rage or argument if you had access to a gun. The rest of us are mature enough to understand priorities and consequences for our actions and won't kill someone over something as stupid or trivial as an argument. You have no self control. Never buy a gun. You can't handle one.

Actually I'm a laid back guy.

I think that everyone has a threshold but I think my fuse is considerably longer than most peoples.

But anyway, if you wanna ignore the stone cold fact that countries with higher gun-control have less gun crime then feel free. I suppose it makes no difference to me anyway.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2012 10:39 AM by Hughsie.)
(03-06-2012 06:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-06-2012 05:24 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm a responsible citizen with the right to protect myself. I demand personal ownership of a set of nuclear weapons, refusing me this violates my freedom.
Don't be silly. No

Just highlighting the ridiculousness of the 'freedom' argument.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-06-2012, 11:46 AM
(01-06-2012 12:30 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Isn't it strange how countries who have more gun regulations have far less gun crime?

Gun controls are good. If I go out and happen to get into an argument with someone the worst that can happen is we end up swinging for each other. If guns were legal one of us could easily end up killing the other in the heat of the moment. I'm glad someone else doesn't have the opportunity to do that to me and I'm equally glad I don't have the opportunity to do that to someone else.
Where I live, lots of people carry guns and shootouts over stupid stuff just doesn't happen between people who are normally law-abiding. You seem to think that you might just flip-out and start shooting someone, but I bet if you had a gun on you you would think differently - and try to find a peaceful way to diffuse a tense situation.
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
I should be the only person allowed to carry. Big Grin

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-06-2012, 01:18 PM
(03-06-2012 10:18 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  But anyway, if you wanna ignore the stone cold fact that countries with higher gun-control have less gun crime then feel free. I suppose it makes no difference to me anyway.
But there is no correlation with violent crime. Switzerland certainly has strict laws, but nearly every household has an assault rifle and ammunition. There is very little violent crime in Switzerland.

So, it's not the guns; it's not gun possession; it's not access to guns. It's the society.

I suggest that violent crime is the thing to work on; guns are a red herring.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Violent criminal society + guns =/= violent criminal society with gun control wouldn't you say ? But I think your position is reasonable, it'd be too hard to outright ban guns, introducing stricter rules for who can have them is more feasible. Not to limit sportsmen or those who want them for defence, but to say that if you own a gun you have a certain responsibility to know how to use it, to keep it in a safe place where unauthorized people can't access it etc. I imagine you have those laws already actually.

I don't actually know much about US gun laws, despite my comments in this thread. Question: is it true that you guys have a constitutionally protected right to carry a gun? Can you bar a head-case crazy guy from carrying one? Can you stop a drunk guy from having one? Can you stop a guy who leaves it lying around the house where his kids can get it?

I read in Earmuffs's linked article that *school teachers* in classrooms can *carry a concealed weapon* ??? That's utter madness that you need such a law IMO. It shows that regardless of what's right or wrong, you guys do have a deep social problem to deal with there...
03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
(03-06-2012 02:25 PM)morondog Wrote:  Violent criminal society + guns =/= violent criminal society with gun control wouldn't you say ? But I think your position is reasonable, it'd be too hard to outright ban guns, introducing stricter rules for who can have them is more feasible. Not to limit sportsmen or those who want them for defence, but to say that if you own a gun you have a certain responsibility to know how to use it, to keep it in a safe place where unauthorized people can't access it etc. I imagine you have those laws already actually.

I don't actually know much about US gun laws, despite my comments in this thread. Question: is it true that you guys have a constitutionally protected right to carry a gun? Can you bar a head-case crazy guy from carrying one? Can you stop a drunk guy from having one? Can you stop a guy who leaves it lying around the house where his kids can get it?

I read in Earmuffs's linked article that *school teachers* in classrooms can *carry a concealed weapon* ??? That's utter madness that you need such a law IMO. It shows that regardless of what's right or wrong, you guys do have a deep social problem to deal with there...
The Second Amendment to the Constitution states "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
In most states, there are laws to prevent felons, crazy people, drunks, and children from owning guns. Many states have strict laws about safely storing guns.

03-06-2012, 03:36 PM
(03-06-2012 10:19 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(03-06-2012 06:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  Don't be silly. No

Just highlighting the ridiculousness of the 'freedom' argument.
No, your hyperbole is absurd.

03-06-2012, 06:20 PM
(03-06-2012 10:18 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(02-06-2012 07:37 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Hughsie, I don't think YOU should have access to a gun. All of these comments are just projectionism. I believe YOU would kill someone in a rage or argument if you had access to a gun. The rest of us are mature enough to understand priorities and consequences for our actions and won't kill someone over something as stupid or trivial as an argument. You have no self control. Never buy a gun. You can't handle one.

Actually I'm a laid back guy.

I think that everyone has a threshold but I think my fuse is considerably longer than most peoples.

But anyway, if you wanna ignore the stone cold fact that countries with higher gun-control have less gun crime then feel free. I suppose it makes no difference to me anyway.
I dunno about that, Hughsie. Take the case of Switzerland. Very low homicide rates but a population of 8 million people with 3 million guns in circulation, they are, in some respects, better armed than Americans. All Swiss males aged 18-45 in good standing are part of the Swiss Militia and are issued a select-fire assault rifle and required to keep it at home with a sealed tin of 500 rounds of ammunition. Shooting is a very popular sport there and it's not uncommon to see people walking down the streets or buying groceries with an assault rifle slung over their shoulders. Yet the Swiss murder rate is comparable with Germany, which has very strict gun control laws.

Also European countries never really had high murder rates with guns, even before their gun control laws took effect. British people never really owned guns in large numbers, nor did they have an interest in doing so.

So it's not really the availability of guns which result in higher crime levels, it's personal attitudes which do so.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade