Gun Control thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2016, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 03:47 PM by The Dark One.)
RE: Gun Control thoughts
Quote:And now you are indirectly impugning my ethics and character by association. You need to be more discriminating in what you find "absolutely positive".

Ah, that explains the belief that all federal judges are good guys.

I didn't mean to impugn you personally, but I am certain that there are federal judges on the take. They have power that others with large bank accounts need...it is going to happen, and does happen. They're just human beings, they get busted for rape and DUI and tax evasion just like anyone else...you think bribery is somehow off the table?

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/201...isconduct/

Here is just one quick example of judicial misconduct in the federal courts- the government doesn't want the public to lose even more faith in the system, so whenever possible, these things are swept under the rug. But many times the offense is too visible, and they are forced to admit the misconduct publicly.

If you are under the impression that no federal decision has ever been purchased, you are the most naive GS-15 I have ever met. Most are well aware and disgruntled by that awareness.

I'm curious..if you are indeed a GS-15-10, then you are maxed out for life, other than COL raises, aren't you? Whatever you do, why didn't you pursue it in the private sector where the salary caps don't exist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2016, 03:47 PM
(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:And now you are indirectly impugning my ethics and character by association. You need to be more discriminating in what you find "absolutely positive".

Ah, that explains the belief that all federal judges are good guys.

I didn't mean to impugn you personally, but I am certain that there are federal judges on the take. They have power that others with large bank accounts need...it is going to happen, and does happen. They're just human beings, they get busted for rape and DUI and tax evasion just like anyone else...you think bribery is somehow off the table?

https://www.prisonlegalnews.org/news/201...isconduct/

Here is just one quick example of judicial misconduct in the federal courts- the government doesn't want the public to lose even more faith in the system, so whenever possible, these things are swept under the rug. But many times the offense is too visible, and they are forced to admit the misconduct publicly.

If you are under the impression that no federal decision has ever been purchased, you are the most naive GS-15 I have ever met. Most are well aware and disgruntled by that awareness.

My only point is that federal judges are sworn and held to a higher ethical standard than, for example, your State's AG. That's it. That is all I'm saying. They do not have a conflict of interest in the cases they judge. They swear to it and have sworn to recuse themselves if one appears. Your State's AG, on the other hand, don't give a shit though.

#sigh
11-08-2016, 03:49 PM
Quote:My only point is that federal judges are sworn and held to a higher ethical standard than, for example, your State's AG. That's it. That is all I'm saying.

I agree with that- a great effort is made to keep the federal courts clean, no doubt. But like any human system, there are flaws.
11-08-2016, 04:08 PM
(10-08-2016 02:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Your stats for expenditure of rounds per enemy killed I think aren't relevant. War is different - there's suppressing fire and all sorts of reasons why people would fire off more bullets. You're implying that to kill *anyone* I'd need to fire off 50 000 rounds?

B-17/B-24 crews went through thousands of rounds on each flight, with the intention of keeping the '109's away. A half million rounds expended on a "bad" mission wasn't at all remarkable.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
11-08-2016, 04:29 PM
(11-08-2016 04:08 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 02:31 AM)morondog Wrote:  Your stats for expenditure of rounds per enemy killed I think aren't relevant. War is different - there's suppressing fire and all sorts of reasons why people would fire off more bullets. You're implying that to kill *anyone* I'd need to fire off 50 000 rounds?

B-17/B-24 crews went through thousands of rounds on each flight, with the intention of keeping the '109's away. A half million rounds expended on a "bad" mission wasn't at all remarkable.

Slightly off topic, but one of the most treasured things in my possession is a B-17 type rating on my pilots' license. I have flown a lot of warbirds- even owned a few- and happened to be in the right place at the right time to be asked to fly as copilot on the EAA's B-17 Aluminum Overcast while another pilot took his type rating flight test. The FAA examiner administering the test liked the way I flew and offered to put me the through if I wanted, and of course I did. I passed, and we both came home with type ratings for a bird we'd probably never fly again- but I'm still very proud to be a licensed B-17 captain.

Sorry, that's just one of my proudest moments. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like The Dark One's post
11-08-2016, 04:57 PM
When I started swinging a .50 cal. back in '70 I used to pretend the "bad guys" were Nazis and I was in the ball turret of a -17. Anything to stay sane.

Didn't work, of course.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
11-08-2016, 05:13 PM
(10-08-2016 02:02 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Ok...here's a controversial topic. I'm not going to get crazy about expressing my personal beliefs, I just want to hear some opinions/justifications after I present some facts. There is, inevitably, some opinion wound up in here, but just about everything is easily verifiable with some online research, and is either absolutely true or at least very much arguable.

I live, and was born in, Texas. I grew up in a gun culture. This doesn't mean what many liberals believe it means- nor what the media likes to pretend it means.
For most of us in Texas, in the rural areas at least, guns are just like your wallet or your cell phone or your car keys. Just a tool, that you can also have fun with, like your cell phone. Much like your car or tractor or credit card, a person not trained in the proper use, or who lacks discipline, can cause damage to himself and others..
I was taught firearms safety at a very early age...I'm guessing around 5 or 6- I know I shot my first deer at age 7, anyway. I was sitting in my father's lap in a deer blind, freezing my ass off at the time.
Guns- or at least, the activities we engaged in which required the use of guns- were/are a great bonding experience for fathers and sons, brothers and sisters, friends, anyone. Shooting beer cans or paper targets, skeet, or steel silhouettes is great fun, and requires self discipline, practice, dedication, and responsibility- all things Texans believe their kids should learn.
Unless we are engaged in training for self defense, or in the act of defending ourselves, we honestly don't think of guns as "killing tools" at all. They are so much more than that- and an AR-15 is not an "Assault rifle" to us...it's just another semi automatic rifle. Because of it's military heritage, it looks cool, which everyone likes- not necessarily the AR-15 but rather, everyone likes an attractive firearm, whether it be stainless steel or blue, nylon or beautiful wood, whatever- it's just personal taste, just like cars.
One thing military based firearms have that people like is durability. I have dozens of guns in my safe I would choose over an AR-15 if I decided to go insane and shoot people from a tower...and most are hunting lineage, not military. The AR-15 and other firearms that come to us through the military pipeline, if you will, have one attribute that most find attractive, and it has nothing to do with killing people. Durability. They typically require less daily maintenance, have more rust and water resistance, can handle being dirty in the field better, etc. Soldiers operate in difficult environments without the ability to clean their firearms as often as they'd like, so the guns they carry reflect that.
I also have a number of automatic weapons. What liberals label "Machine guns", and insist none of us really need. Well..so what? Who NEEDS a Porsche 911? Who NEEDS a Lamborghini? Who NEEDS a ski boat or a jet ski or a 4 wheeler or a dune buggy? These things kill people all the time, right? Who is the government to tell me what I can or can't own for my own amusement, historical curiosity, competition, whatever? I'm not hurting anyone. I pay the federal tax on automatic weapons and silencers/suppressors. Beyond that...leave me alone.
Automatic weapons are TERRIBLE for mass killing. I know, Hollywood has a lot of folks convinced that you just hold the trigger down and waive the gun back and forth, and an entire crowd will drop at your feet. Bullshit. Come out to my place and I'll let you try it.
One...recoil. After about three rounds, unless you've had considerable training and practice, the only things in danger are birds, because the muzzle has risen and you're shooting sky.
Two...ammo. In Vietnam, the M-16 (full auto AR-15) fired approximately 200 rounds per minute. Most soldiers had 20 round magazines. So after 6 seconds, he had to stop, eject the empty magazine, pull a loaded one from his mag holder, insert it in the rifle, and- since it's hard to count rounds in full auto, he usually fired it empty- pull and release the charging handle (bolt) before he was ready to fire again. For another 6 seconds of sustained fire.
The average number of shots per kill in VN was 50,000. Yep. FIFTY THOUSAND ROUNDS FIRED FOR EVERY VIET KONG/ North VM killed in the war. LOL...hand me my bolt action .338 Lapua please, and find me some high ground.

Estimates in Gulf war one are 250,000 rounds expended for each insurgent killed.

Worrying about "machine guns" is amateur hour. Silly.

But finally, three...maintenance. The average guy about to go try to kill people for no apparent reason is not a gun nut- he doesn't own guns before this obsession, and he almost NEVER obtains them legally. Machine guns are notorious for jams/ feed problems/ misfires if not well taken care of and often tuned, just like a carburetor or a musical instrument.

So I'm constantly hearing what violent, inbred, racist, gun crazy, brain dead idiots Texans are.
Well, I'm pretty typical, as far as I know. Most of my friends have similar educational backgrounds and families, so let's use me as an admittedly inadequate reference, just for fun.
I am 50 years old, as of February of this year. I managed to retire with a healthy income 6 years ago. I'm happily married with three grown kids, two still in college, and own a small ranch and a lot of toys. I am completely debt free.
I have a master's degree in herpetology from Sul Ross. I did my undergrad in bio at the University of Texas.
I served as a pilot in the united states air force for 8 years. I flew for the airlines until retirement, and due to our lax schedules, also earned my EMT, my peace officer license, my firearms instructor's license, my state pursuit/tactical driving instructor's license, my class D skydiving license, and my open water scuba diving license. I hate to sit around.
I served as a deputy sheriff for 8 years, 4 of those on SWAT, mostly as an element leader on a narcotics entry team. I was sent to school and became the team armorer. I have since become a master gunsmith.
My wife and kids can all handle any firearm you hand them, easily. I have a large collection, as do most of my friends, so chances are my kids have shot one before, but if not, they can easily and safely sort it out.
I have a 300 yd range here at my home. Neither I nor any of my friends and family have ever had an accident with a firearm.

As for Texas being "fraught with danger" due to all the guns and idiots, here is the most recent completed FBI’s Uniform Crime Report. You'll notice, Texas is not on the list. If you scan the entire report, you will eventually come to "Tiny cities", where you will find two small Texas towns listed, both overrun with illegal mexican aliens, who commit 90% of the violent crime in these locales.

I'm just wondering...this seems so different from what Hillary would have us believe. Actually- statistically- it is apparently much more dangerous to be a friend of the Clinton's than it is to live in Texas. Fascinating.

Big Cities With The Highest Violent Crime Rates

Detroit, Michigan 1988.63
Memphis, Tennessee 1740.51
Oakland, California 1685.39
St. Louis, Missouri 1678.73
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 1476.41
Baltimore, Maryland 1338.54
Cleveland, Ohio 1334.35
Stockton, California 1331.47
Indianapolis, Indiana 1254.66
Kansas City, Missouri 1251.45

Big Cities With The Highest Murder Rates

St. Louis, Missouri 49.91
Detroit, Michigan 43.52
New Orleans, Louisiana 38.75
Baltimore, Maryland 33.84
Newark, New Jersey 33.32
Buffalo, New York 23.22
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 22.43
Memphis, Tennessee 21.38
Atlanta, Georgia 20.47
Cincinati, Ohio 20.16

Medium Cities With The Highest Violent Crime Rates

Birmingham, Alabama 1588.29
Little Rock, Arkanasas 1391.91
Rockford, Illinois 1234.74
Springfield, Missouri 1186.47
Lansing, Michigan 1116.76
Hartford, Connecticut 1104.50
Springfield, Massachusetts 1080.86
Springfield, Illinois 1064.45
New Haven, Connecticut 1054.37
San Bernardino, California 991.67

Medium Cities With The Highest Murder Rates

Jackson, Mississippi 35.39
Birmingham, Alabama 24.52
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 23.11
North Charleston, South Carolina 21.78
Little Rock, Arkanasas 21.69
San Bernardino, California 20.04
Richmond, Virginia 18.92
Dayton, Ohio 18.85
Inglewood, California 17.86
Montgomery, Alabama 17.48

Wonder how many will read this thru...

Cheers, y'all!

Howzabout Chicago? I thought it was proudly at the top of the list. Or that is what gun nuts usually claim citing it as Obama's hometown and a place where guns cannot be bought. Did you forget them, or it just a urban legend that Chicago kills more of its own than anywhere else?
11-08-2016, 06:38 PM
Quote:Howzabout Chicago? I thought it was proudly at the top of the list. Or that is what gun nuts usually claim citing it as Obama's hometown and a place where guns cannot be bought. Did you forget them, or it just a urban legend that Chicago kills more of its own than anywhere else?

I dunno...I just cut and pasted the fbi report. I do have a close friend who is a 20 year veteran of chicago pd, and they have almost nonstop gun violence...I think the point is that Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country, and yet has a lot of gun violence, proving that this violence needs to be dealt with at the social/emotional level, not by outlawing tools. Very few guns on the street in Chicago were obtained legally anyway, so gun laws are pretty useless.
11-08-2016, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 06:45 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm curious..if you are indeed a GS-15-10, then you are maxed out for life, other than COL raises, aren't you?

Actually we call them COLAs. And I am not maxed out for life because I been groomed to go into Senior Executive Service.

But I ain't wearing a fucking suit and tie for a paltry $20K/year. So I am effectively topped out.

(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Whatever you do, why didn't you pursue it in the private sector where the salary caps don't exist?

$160K/year ain't enough for you and yours? Plenty for me and mine. Why should I want more?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-08-2016, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 06:53 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm curious..if you are indeed a GS-15-10, then you are maxed out for life, other than COL raises, aren't you?

Actually we call them COLAs. And I am not maxed out for life because I been groomed to go into Senior Executive Service.

But I ain't wearing a fucking suit and tie for a paltry $20K/year. So I am effectively topped out.

(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Whatever you do, why didn't you pursue it in the private sector where the salary caps don't exist?

$160K/year ain't enough for you and yours? Plenty for me and mine. Why should I want more?

(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm curious..if you are indeed a GS-15-10, ...

Wanna see a redacted pay stub asshole? ... Seriously there's already one here on the forum somewhere. You want me to dig it up for you asshole?

#sigh