Gun Control thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-08-2016, 07:17 PM
RE: Gun Control thoughts
Do guns existing themselves cause gangs to spread and grow more feverously and powerful in adverse living conditions or do gangs existing and growing cause them to seek out the weapons regardless of means.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-08-2016, 07:50 PM
(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm curious..if you are indeed a GS-15-10, ...

Suck it.

[Image: pay2.png]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-08-2016, 07:54 PM
(11-08-2016 07:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 03:41 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I'm curious..if you are indeed a GS-15-10, ...

Suck it.

That stub is Manlygirl's isn't it Fat Boy?

Big Grin

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
11-08-2016, 08:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 08:22 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-08-2016 07:54 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 07:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Suck it.

That stub is Manlygirl's isn't it Fat Boy?

Big Grin

Girly knows he has one job.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
11-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Gun Control thoughts
(11-08-2016 07:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Suck it.

No wonder the federal government is going broke.
11-08-2016, 08:57 PM
(11-08-2016 01:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I have never really considered gun control until coming to this forum. I live in the People's Republic of Maryland which has had a travel advisory from the NRA forever. But I think I have started to develop an opinion. I am tending towards it being a local issue but it only works in one direction, that of further restriction.

States have the right to define their own regulations but they cannot relax Federal Law.
Counties have the right to define their own regulations but they cannot relax State Law.
Municipalities have the right to define their own regulations but they cannot relax County Law.
Households have the right to define their own rules but they cannot relax Municipal Codes.

Not sure whether communities like Homeowner's Associations have the right to declare themselves as gun-free zones in their bylaws or not.

You're on the right track there regarding a solution but I'm not sure you have sufficiently defined the problem.

Your thinking encompasses two of the seven governance enablers (#1. Policy and #3. Org Structure) ... consider also #4. Culture, Ethics & Behaviour.

Hint: Cain and Abel

Or if that's too cryptic, a stronger hint:

"And when this territory is a state
An' joins the Union just like all the others
The farmer, the cowman, and the merchant
Must all behave theirselves and act like brothers"

(Maureen Lipman = The Leviathan)

Or if you prefer something a little more governmentally official:
Settlers, Prospectors and Pioneers

Or if you prefer a more biological / game theory analysis dust of your copy of The Selfish Gene and remind yourself of the chapter covering Suckers, Cheaters and Grudgers.

To a degree, the problem needs to be looked at as an arms race (literally and figuratively).

Evolutionary game theory

^^^ That's for the wider audience... I know you know this shit already, Girly.

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
11-08-2016, 09:20 PM
(11-08-2016 08:49 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(11-08-2016 07:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Suck it.

No wonder the federal government is going broke.

Really? I wouldn't move to the DC area for $160K.

Girly, you need to pack Manly up and transfer to Huntsville. You'd take about a $5k pay cut, but with the difference in the cost of living it would be like getting a $75K raise.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
11-08-2016, 10:00 PM
Quote:$160K/year ain't enough for you and yours? Plenty for me and mine. Why should I want more?

No, I wasn't criticizing, simply curious- I've never understood the appeal of general schedule government employment. Some idiot with half your brains making twice your money just because he does it for a defense contractor instead of the government itself...well, I find that annoying. If 160K is all you need, great- no offense intended. But doing exactly the same job in a more relaxed atmosphere with less oversight for twice the pay...well, I like it.
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
11-08-2016, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 10:19 PM by GirlyMan.)
(11-08-2016 10:00 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:$160K/year ain't enough for you and yours? Plenty for me and mine. Why should I want more?

No, I wasn't criticizing, simply curious- I've never understood the appeal of general schedule government employment. Some idiot with half your brains making twice your money just because he does it for a defense contractor instead of the government itself...well, I find that annoying. If 160K is all you need, great- no offense intended. But doing exactly the same job in a more relaxed atmosphere with less oversight for twice the pay...well, I like it.

11-08-2016, 10:20 PM
(11-08-2016 10:00 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  

There's a lot to be said for job stability and security. Except for a couple of years as a contract engineer designing telco central office co-locations, I've been a government contractor since I got out of the army in 87. I've worked for nine different companies in those 29 years, and didn't always walk out of one job into another when a contract ended.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]