Gun Control thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-08-2016, 10:22 AM
RE: Gun Control thoughts
Quote:Statistics are funny that way. It wouldn't surprise me if Chicago, and New York as well, are near the top in sheer number of homicides, but they are also near the top in population. The list that The Dark One posted was per capita, which is much more significant statistically.

Of course, you're right. My meds have me clicking on 3 out of 8 cylinders the last few weeks...I'm struggling to keep up with some of you brainiacs, lol.

You have snatched the pebbles from my hand, Grasshopper...the student, has become,
The Master.

I used to love that show...Cool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Quote:I'm curious..if you are indeed a GS-15-10
That was a childish and poor choice of words, Dark one.
You are new here, but I and everybody is taking what you say at face value.
I'm not questioning anything you say.
This is how you return the favor.Consider
12-08-2016, 11:30 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 11:36 AM by The Dark One.)
Quote:That was a childish and poor choice of words, Dark one.
You are new here, but I and everybody is taking what you say at face value.
I'm not questioning anything you say.
This is how you return the favor.Consider

Yes, it probably was a poor choice of words- but there was no intent. Girly came on very strong from the first, and although it doesn't bother me, his abusive tone and language probably made me a little defensive. I didn't know if he was messing with me or what- if you'll read his original post of his job, he comes across as arrogant and egotistical. I didn't give it much thought, really, I just tend to take people like that with a grain of salt- I accepted what he said, but left room, basically, to say "Yeah, I kind of wondered if you were fucking with me, asshole".

I consider a GS position a cop-out, to be perfectly honest. Not that it's a bad decision for everyone, but take some risks and work hard and you can do much better in the private sector- and it's challenging. The thought that someone was BRAGGING about being a GS-15-10...which, if you are unaware, is basically as high as you can ever go without a drastic change, as Girly pointed out later- caught me off guard. I half thought he was "having me on" as the brits say.

Interesting that his profane and over-the-top response hasn't drawn any comments (well, ok, one minor one) but my poor word choice or misunderstanding has. "Shouting" profanity and calling me an asshole and going on and on about how much education he has and how much money he makes and posting his freaking PAYSTUB online...brother, I'm an ex cop, and all of that shouts LIAR to me. I'm not saying he is, I actually believe him, but it set off deep-seated alarm bells in my psyche.

This witty repartee' came long before my "indeed" comment which set him off, btw.

Quote:Wanna compare university transcripts to see who has more education in math and logic and science? 'Cause that'd be fun. But first we must compare dick sizes.

And I'm not childish, you pig dog. Tongue
12-08-2016, 12:27 PM
Quote:I consider a GS position a cop-out, to be perfectly honest.
Perfectly transparent shot at a whole lot of people who take care of our business.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
12-08-2016, 12:40 PM
(12-08-2016 09:48 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:While I may agree that the improper use of any tool is not the “fault” of the tool...

A tool specifically designed to kill has to be, in my view, regulated differently than say a table saw.

This is self-evident to me.

You know how much I like and respect you- I hope- FC, so try to hear this and not just react to it...we’ve all been trained like Pavlov’s Pooches to slobber at any of these words, I’m afraid.

This goes both ways. It would be refreshing to discuss in the spirtit of understanding each other. The pro-gun faction also goes rabid at the drop of a dime, neither response is constructive.

(12-08-2016 09:48 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  First, what is NOT self evident to me is that these are tools designed specifically to kill human beings. I actually have no idea if the original firearm was developed more in response to pressure to kill people or to feed families. (Nobody, please, jump in here with your 2016 viewpoint and tell me how vegan we're supposed to be...) Regardless,
I can name dozens of things whose original purpose differs significantly from it's current purpose. Everything evolves.

Guns are used to put food on the table- could we buy that food, here in the US, instead? Sure, if you have the money- some folks don't. LOTS of people in Alaska live subsistence- they hunt and fish and trap and have no cash income. They live back in the bush where cash is worthless anyway. But what's the difference? Eat a chicken someone else killed from the grocery store or a pheasant you killed yourself? Actually, there is a difference...we're predators, and much like the zoo animals, I believe predators have such an instinct to fend for themselves that when they are provided for they grow tired of life, and miserable. Perhaps- and this is only a pet theory of mine- this eventually leads to things like political correctness and children shooting children in school yards. Again, just a theory.

You have extrapolated meaning and intent and gone off on a tangent without addressing my simple comment that, “A tool specifically designed to kill has to be, in my view, regulated differently than say a table saw.”

If we cannot agree on the most basic premise that a firearm is designed to kill then there’s nothing left to discuss.

A person can argue that they use their 30-06 as a towel rack but that doesn’t change one iota what it was specifically designed for.

(12-08-2016 09:48 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Still friends, FC? Sadcryface

I have had this discussion repeatedly with others on the forum whom I respect and admire and while they and I don’t see eye to eye on the topic we have always been cordial and respectful. I would prefer to keep it that way between the two of us.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
12-08-2016, 01:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2016 04:09 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Girly came on very strong from the first, and although it doesn't bother me, his abusive tone and language probably made me a little defensive. I didn't know if he was messing with me or what-

I was. And I will.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  If you'll read his original post of his job, he comes across as arrogant and egotistical.

I am.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  I consider a GS position a cop-out, to be perfectly honest. Not that it's a bad decision for everyone, but take some risks and work hard and you can do much better in the private sector ...

You'd be hard-pressed to find a private sector job to match my pension plan or lifetime 75% subsidized health insurance.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  .- and it's challenging. ....

My job isn't challenging? You certainly couldn't do it. Way to insult 2 million civil servants, cunt.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  The thought that someone was BRAGGING about being a GS-15-10...

I am BRAGGING about it. Who the fuck you think stands between your tax dollars and the Military Industrial Complex which already has at least 50% fraud, waste, and abuse? I do. Asshole. In my 30+ years of service I have saved millions of your tax dollars from going to wasteful military contractors. I've earned my keep. And I am proud of it. I have been recruited by many of the scum suckers basically because they know I can see through their bullshit and they want my skills so they can avoid other civil servants' bullshit detectors. But there is a limited number of showers I can take in a day.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  which, if you are unaware, is basically as high as you can ever go without a drastic change, as Girly pointed out later- caught me off guard.

If by "drastic change" you mean I'd have to wear a suit and tie instead of jeans and a t-shirt for an extra $20K, then yes, I agree. That is too drastic a change for me.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  Interesting that his profane and over-the-top response hasn't drawn any comments...

That's just how I roll. Fucktard.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  This witty repartee' came long before my "indeed" comment which set him off, btw.

If by "set me off" you mean responding to you questioning my credibility, then yes.

(12-08-2016 11:30 AM)The Dark One Wrote:  "Shouting" profanity and calling me an asshole and going on and on about how much education he has and how much money he makes and posting his freaking PAYSTUB online...brother, I'm an ex cop, and all of that shouts LIAR to me.

By ex-cop do you mean you were a civil servant? Couldn't you have done much better in the private sector as a mall cop? Hypocritical asshole.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-08-2016, 03:19 AM
Quote:Perfectly transparent shot at a whole lot of people who take care of our business.

Not at all. As I said FOR ME, I see it as a bit of a cop out. It's a safe position with incredible job security...nothing wrong with that, as I said, just too safe a play for me. I wasn't taking a shot at government employees at all, it never entered my mind. However, since you bring it up, anyone who is happy with the way "our business" is being handled by the government these days should, oh, I don't know...open his fucking eyes? I'm certainly unimpressed.
13-08-2016, 04:06 AM
(12-08-2016 01:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  ...
I am BRAGGING about it. Who the fuck you think stands between your tax dollars and the Military Industrial Complex which already has at least 50% fraud, waste, and abuse? I do. Asshole. In my 30+ years of service I have saved millions of your tax dollars from going to wasteful military contractors. I've earned my keep. And I am proud of it. I have been recruited by many of the scum suckers basically because they know I can see through their bullshit and they want my skills so they can avoid other civil servants' bullshit detectors. But there is a limited number of showers I can take in a day.

You make a strong case for Nationalisation.

But did you mean 'recruited' or head-hunted? If you meant 'recruited', does that mean you're a double agent?

Double-0 G-man, licensed to Kirikaeshi

13-08-2016, 04:06 AM
Quote:Girly came on very strong from the first, and although it doesn't bother me, his abusive tone and language probably made me a little defensive. I didn't know if he was messing with me or what-

I was. And I will.

You're an idiot.

Quote:If you'll read his original post of his job, he comes across as arrogant and egotistical.

I am.

Sonofabitch...we agree on something.

Quote:I consider a GS position a cop-out, to be perfectly honest. Not that it's a bad decision for everyone, but take some risks and work hard and you can do much better in the private sector ...

You'd be hard-pressed to find a private sector job to match my pension plan or lifetime 75% subsidized health insurance.

Since that is all public record, I know what the government provides. I do better...I don't know what else to say...?

Quote:.- and it's challenging. ....

My job isn't challenging? You certainly couldn't do it. Way to insult 2 million civil servants, cunt.

I never said your job wasn't challenging, you pea-brained little girl. Managing your own career in an environment that is not as stable as a government job is MORE challenging. Simple fact, moron.

Quote:The thought that someone was BRAGGING about being a GS-15-10...

Again, you don't seem capable of following my points...I never said you didn't earn your keep, although with your obvious lack of self control...I doubt it, now. I live in a different world from you- in my world, gs jobs are mostly considered cushy second careers by retired military guys who can't make it on their retirement checks. I've never heard a grown man brag on a public forum about his silly master's degree, nor his government job, and I've certainly not seen anyone POST HIS PAYCHECK on a forum to...what exactly was it posted for, you said it was already here, so it wasn't for my benefit...? I was blown away by how childish and insecure you came across, so I wasn't sure if you were being serious, or just pulling my leg. You see, in Texas, men don't act like that. It's just not part of my life experience. The thought of scanning and posting my pilot's license and peace officer license and DD214 and land deed and airline ID and college transcripts and whatever the fuck else...it's just ridiculous. Who does that?? Is this like the 3rd grade "My brother is bigger than your brother" bullshit? You challenged me to a cock measuring contest! What are you, 14? I am NOT more secure knowing a weak willed, overly emotional and insecure individual such as yourself is employed by the government in any fashion, save perhaps vice president, where you could do no harm.

Quote:which, if you are unaware, is basically as high as you can ever go without a drastic change, as Girly pointed out later- caught me off guard.

If by "drastic change" you mean I'd have to wear a suit and tie instead of jeans and a t-shirt for an extra $20K, then yes, I agree. That is too drastic a change for me.

I'm not, nor have I been, a GS anything. My most recent position was O-3. I know GS-15 is the top of the heap, and the -10 means the top of the GS-15. Therefore, to the best of my knowledge, you would have to take on a leadership roll of some sort to progress any further...I'm not sure as it isn't my area, but generally when talking to government employees, they consider GS-15-10 "topped out".

Quote:Interesting that his profane and over-the-top response hasn't drawn any comments...

That's just how I roll. Fucktard.

Yes, you're obviously a brilliant man.

Quote:This witty repartee' came long before my "indeed" comment which set him off, btw.

If by "set me off" you mean responding to you questioning my credibility, then yes.

No, this was before I questioned anything..I was simply trying to interact and had the gall to disagree with you at this point.

Quote:By ex-cop do you mean you were a civil servant? Couldn't you have done much better in the private sector as a mall cop? Hypocritical asshole.

Sort of. I was a captain for Continental Airlines at the time, and my schedule was 12 days on, 18 off. I had a bucket list dream to play cop for awhile, and the local sheriff agreed to work within my scheduling limits. I ended up an element leader on a SWAT narcotics entry team, more than I could have hoped for. I stayed for almost 8 years, then left as my flying job was changing and I couldn't live on a cop's salary. So it was more of a lark than a job. I wanted more out of life, for myself and my family, than a government job could reasonably provide. It really isn't that difficult to understand.

By the way, since you seem to like bragging...this began in the very early 90's, and my 12 day on, 18 day off schedule paid me $8,000 per year less than you make today...not counting my police salary, of course. Plus, just to pile on, I retired at 50.

Cheers!
13-08-2016, 05:20 AM
Quote:You know how much I like and respect you- I hope- FC, so try to hear this and not just react to it...we’ve all been trained like Pavlov’s Pooches to slobber at any of these words, I’m afraid.

This goes both ways. It would be refreshing to discuss in the spirtit of understanding each other. The pro-gun faction also goes rabid at the drop of a dime, neither response is constructive.

Yes...thus my use of the word "we've"...

Quote:First, what is NOT self evident to me is that these are tools designed specifically to kill human beings. I actually have no idea if the original firearm was developed more in response to pressure to kill people or to feed families. (Nobody, please, jump in here with your 2016 viewpoint and tell me how vegan we're supposed to be...) Regardless,
I can name dozens of things whose original purpose differs significantly from it's current purpose. Everything evolves.

Quote:You have extrapolated meaning and intent and gone off on a tangent without addressing my simple comment that, “A tool specifically designed to kill has to be, in my view, regulated differently than say a table saw.”

If we cannot agree on the most basic premise that a firearm is designed to kill then there’s nothing left to discuss.

You seem to cherry pick certain things and ignore the balance of my posts...I said I disagreed that firearms were originally specifically designed to kill human beings. My point was only that the intent of the original designer may have been to feed his family, I had no idea. I didn't deny that firearms could be, or were, used to kill...what tangent??

Firearms can be used to kill. Rocks can be used to kill. I even would have to wonder...in all of human history, rocks may well have been used in more homicides. They should be regulated. Knives most certainly have, particularly if you lump "swords" in with knives, which seems reasonable. Let's regulate all knives, too!
I doubt table saws have been used much, as they are unwieldy...but they have a blade, so let's lump em in with knives and regulate them too!

Where does it stop? Where has my freedom gone? I don't kill people often, why am I being punished? You realize, human nature...outlaw guns, and once they are finally rare on the streets- which will take a LONG time- knife killings will be on the rise, as they are in the UK. So soon knives are the bad guy of the day, and then they do get regulated, until clubs become the weapon of choice, and so we all have to eat on the floor, like the japanese, because table legs can be easily converted...

It's ridiculous. You're treating a symptom instead of a disease. WHY do people kill each other? It's not because weapons exist, murder predates tools. Plus, you're interfering with my personal freedom- which is fine with you, you don't like guns! It's fucking ridiculous.

Guns exist. The knowledge exists to build them. I can build a gun from scratch in my hotrod shop. Easily. The advent of 3d printers makes that even easier! You guys had better find another way to slow murders down, because history has proven time and time again that PROHIBITION FAILS. Look at booze, look at marijuana, look at coke, look at meth, take a gander at child porn. All ILLEGAL...and for a long time now. Still here.

Quote:I have had this discussion repeatedly with others on the forum whom I respect and admire and while they and I don’t see eye to eye on the topic we have always been cordial and respectful. I would prefer to keep it that way between the two of us.

That's up to you. I stay reasonable and respectful until I am disrespected. Call me a cunt and an asshole repeatedly, and courtesy gets tossed. If we were face to face, I would resort to violence. It's what I do.

I was hoping to find a home here, but I'm having second thoughts. Liberals, in my experience, are the most intolerant people around. It's all fine until an alternate view is expressed...then it goes downhill pretty fast. I'm not sure if it's worth it. You're all so certain you are correct...and you are, for you. Just leave me the hell out of it and let me do what works for me. I can feel us inching ever closer to a serious conflict in the US, because everybody wants their own way...I guess it's a global thing, too. Who in the world decided you or anyone else can tell me what I can or can't do, unless I harm someone else, or infringe on their rights? All of us good ol' country boys so many liberals like to laugh at..we fight most of the wars, we are most of the police, we have most of the guns. If it comes to open rebellion and revolution...well, I'll just say, best of luck to you. I don't like the fact that we can't seem to tolerate each other unless we share the same views, anymore...and people are getting rabid. I'm honestly- no bullshit- getting to the point where I'm scared for my daughters.
I wrote a post here, that was not offensive. I really just described my upbringing. Girly wandered into my thread, was a complete jackass, from the word go. I tried to make light of it by joking around, trying to defuse it and just have a good time...he kept calling me names and acting like a child. I finally decided to fight fire with fire, and immediately two people who I liked- sky and you- jump MY shit about it. Not because I'm wrong in my actions- I simply responded to an irritation. No, because you disagree with me politically. You sided with this horses ass who thinks he's on an elementary school playground showing the girls his dick...because I have a different opinion than you.

I seem to experience this behavior every time I try to make friends among liberals. I'm welcome, provided I do things their way, while they run around like petulant children, with no consequences.

I have a pretty good life...I'm not sure why I'm here. I have better ways to spend my time. I guess I just wanted to see if the relationships in this country were salvageable. I'm thinking...probably not.

cheers