Gun Control thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-08-2016, 01:34 PM
RE: Gun Control thoughts
At work.

No, I do not think guns should be controlled with thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 01:46 PM
(10-08-2016 01:34 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

No, I do not think guns should be controlled with thoughts.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-08-2016, 01:50 PM
(10-08-2016 01:30 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Interesting. I posted facts, and some anecdotal evidence I freely admitted was tainted by my personal beliefs, but I was polite, and described my upbringing and my beliefs. I did not attack others for their own beliefs, I simply stated the facts as I know them, and walked away.

You all turned it into a nitpicky, angry, abusive discussion for no reason whatsoever. Some people like firearms, for various reasons, some people don't. Either is fine by me. I happen to be one who does.

I see comments about "Why do you need a gun unless you live in a bad area"....I carry and keep firearms more to defend against the possibility of a corrupt government or a foreign invasion than for personal protection. The Japanese were afraid to mount an invasion of the American heartland because guns were everywhere- they feared a civilian uprising. How is that a bad thing?

Guns DO NOT kill people. We need to sort out the root cause of this violence, it doesn't require a firearm to kill. In the gulf war, insurgents found small bombs to be much more effective than guns...would you rather the shitheads of the world started using IED's instead of .38's?

I know guns. Extremely well. I also know people. We are a violent, predatory race, and probably always will be. For the foreseeable future, at any rate. You can pretend you live in a utopian society all you want- go live in a commune, bury your head in the sand. I Don't Care.

Just leave me the fuck alone, let me be. You don't bother me, and I won't kill you.

Promise.

You have discovered one of the "features" of this forum. We have a few extremely pro-gun people, and a few extremely anti-gun people. Most of us are somewhere in the middle, but any thread that is about guns (or even remotely related to guns) will draw the extremists like flies.

I had no problem at all with your OP, and I suspect that neither did most of the forum. But the few anti-gun nuts were guaranteed to respond. You might want to check out the "gun enthusiast" thread, where things are much friendlier.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
10-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Quote:I had no problem at all with your OP, and I suspect that neither did most of the forum. But the few anti-gun nuts were guaranteed to respond. You might want to check out the "gun enthusiast" thread, where things are much friendlier.

Thank you grasshopper...for the record, I do post in the gun enthusiast thread. I was just curious about the reaction here. I didn't want to disrupt threads, so this catch-all place seemed safe enough. Pretty much as I suspected, maybe a little less venom than other sites I've been to. I've seen more common sense on this forum than any other. I like that.

I'm never trying to change anyone's mind...if 50 years has taught me anything, it's taught me that that is a waste of time and energy. I do post things sometimes to gauge how others tolerate the differences in those around them. I've been severely disappointed in the last four or five years, people have lost their tolerance for some reason. People blame Obama...maybe, I don't know. He has contributed to it with some of his actions and inactions, but honestly I can't figure out why tolerance is dying. It's not a good thing, for certain.

Cheers!
10-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Hi Guys.
The heavy drug I am on caused me to have what I believe to be a psychotic episode last night. It took me 5 sleeping pills to calm down and sleep. And I fell over a set of drums while teaching.

Please ignore me. I must put that warning back in my signature.

It was so bad I went on ebay and bought all this stuff. I bought an ultrasonic bath????

This morning I am through the episode and cannot believe my current ebay purchase history!

I am going to hospital later.

Yesterday was both a triumph and disaster for me, not so much my friends, the forum members.

With clear minded respect. Dale

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
10-08-2016, 05:52 PM
Quote:Just like religious debate, this isn't my first rodeo. This is simply debating another religion where an object is their god. The facts have been consistent for decades in that gun injury and death is far more likely to injure someone in the home.

I don't say this often, because I try to show respect for everyone...but you're an idiot. I spent 8 years as a police officer, 4 in SWAT entry, and I've been a gun owner/gunsmith all of my life. Most gun deaths are from accidental shootings in the home?? I'm not sure how you managed to pull that whopper out of your ass, but it tells me what you do in your free time. You must spend a fortune on lube.

Please, I would really like to know where you get this...err...fact. Cite your sources, so I can educate myself.

I'm in Texas, where we all have closets and cases and safes full of guns. I own over 350 myself. I'm amazed that we aren't all dead! Or maybe we are...!!
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
10-08-2016, 05:55 PM
Quote:This morning I am through the episode and cannot believe my current ebay purchase history!

If you got any cool guitars or gear, please give me first shot at 'em...

Quote:I am going to hospital later.

I hope all is well, bro...take care of yourself man.
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
10-08-2016, 06:01 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 06:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2016 05:52 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Just like religious debate, this isn't my first rodeo. This is simply debating another religion where an object is their god. The facts have been consistent for decades in that gun injury and death is far more likely to injure someone in the home.

Most gun deaths are from accidental shootings in the home??

Not sure where you get the "accidental" qualification from that quote but the majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Not much accidental about that and they usually occur at home and they are the most common method of suicide in the US. You need me to provide citations? The use of firearms in suicides ranges from less than 10% in Australia to 50.5% in the U.S., where it is the most common method of suicide.

#sigh
10-08-2016, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 06:26 PM by The Dark One.)
Quote:Not sure where you get the "accidental" qualification from that quote but the majority of gun deaths in the US are suicides. Not much accidental about that and they usually occur at home and they are the most common method of suicide in the US. You need me to provide citations?

I didn't capture the "accidental" in quotes, but that is what the poster was referring to.

You are incorrect- most suicides in the US are by gun, yes, but most gun deaths are not suicides in the US. As a former cop, I can tell you that suicides don't enter into this discussion in a meaningful way. If a person decides to kill himself, he will do it, gun or no gun. I've worked more suicides without guns than with, and they are invariably worse. Generally the gun suicide is successful- one shot, it's over. Those with no gun used horrible means, poisons that ate their insides out slowly, hangings that left them alive but nearly brain dead, police assisted suicides that ruined more lives than just their own, jumping in front of cars on the interstate and causing huge accidents, even intentionally flying aircraft into the ground or into structures. People who want to die WILL find a way.

Regarding suicide being the most common form of gun death in the US, yes, you are indeed correct- my apologies. In just the last few years the CDC reports that homicides with firearms have dropped sharply, which leaves suicide in the majority. I haven't kept up, and you are right. However, my above argument stands- I have worked cases where a person made numerous attempts, was on lockdown and suicide watch, and still managed to commit suicide. If a person truly wants to die, he will...gun or no gun.
10-08-2016, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 06:26 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2016 06:17 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  You are incorrect- most suicides in the US are by gun, yes, but most gun deaths are not suicides in the US.... Regarding suicide being the most common form of gun death in the US, yes, please, cite your sources.

Figured you could do the googling yourself but here you go. Suicides account for most gun deaths

#sigh