Gun Control thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-08-2016, 06:32 PM
RE: Gun Control thoughts
Quote:Figured you could do the googling yourself but here you go. Suicides account for most gun deaths

Sorry, our posts passed like ships in the night, or something. I conceded that point already. Of course, it's only due to the sharp decline in gun homicides, which sort of makes my point anyway...Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 06:56 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2016 06:17 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  In just the last few years the CDC reports that homicides with firearms have dropped sharply, which leaves suicide in the majority.

That's an interesting proposition but it would require some research and mathematics to support it.

(10-08-2016 06:17 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  However, my above argument stands- I have worked cases where a person made numerous attempts, was on lockdown and suicide watch, and still managed to commit suicide. If a person truly wants to die, he will...gun or no gun.

Oh, I most certainly believe a person can will themself to death without the aid of anything else. But it takes one hell of a will. I've only seen one.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
10-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Those people who wish to reduce the number of gun suicides ---

Somebody wants to off themself -- it's none of your business.......... Sure - you might be affected - if it's somebody you're close to - or know ---- but ultimately -- it's not your call................

I'm an efficiency kinda guy. Show me the easiest way to do a job - and that's going to be the best way to do it - as far as I'm concerned.

However -- if you're going to off yourself -- may I make a few requests that you can take under advisement??? (I'm not qualified to tell you what to do -- it's your life --- but, everybody is free to offer advice. You're free to listen, or not.)

1. Go outside - and find a place where the mess you're about to make can be cleaned up with a garden hose and a rake -- OK??? Have a bit of consideration for the poor fuck who's going to have to clean up your mess.

2. Knock it off with the overkill ---- you don't need a 44 magnum, or a 12 gauge loaded with 3 1/2 inch double ought buckshot. Again -- somebody's gotta clean up the mess... Guarantee it's not going to be you......

3. Diving off tall buildings is a sure fire way -- but you can't guarantee that you're not going to land on somebody..... Try a high bridge instead.....

4. Inventory. Take a look at what your "problem" really is. Unless you've got an advanced disease that's going to only get worse, and be very fucking painful ---- you probably don't really have that good of a reason to off yourself. Most religions say you're fucked if you kill yourself -- and you're doomed to __________________ (fill in the blank with whatever scary hoodoo that your particular religion offers) ---- If you're an atheist -- you gotta be pretty fucking stupid to end the only existence you're ever going to get.

A bad day above ground beats ANY day below................

Feel free to ignore any, most, or all I've said.

It's just a fucking opinion...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-08-2016, 08:18 PM
Gun Control thoughts
(10-08-2016 05:52 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I don't say this often, because I try to show respect for everyone...but you're an idiot.

Brian can't help it. He ate a lot of paint chips as a child.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
10-08-2016, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 09:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2016 07:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm an efficiency kinda guy. Show me the easiest way to do a job - and that's going to be the best way to do it - as far as I'm concerned.
Most efficient way to do the job is inhaling pure nitrogen. 20-30 seconds later you are unconscious, and since we are used to high levels of nitrogen there's no sense of hypoxia so you don't start spazzing and shit or even notice, couple minutes later you're gone and you didn't even feel it. No muss no fuss. Someone to dispose of your exit bag and nitrogen tank and it won't even be recognized as a suicide in an autopsy. Suicide by gun is one the most inconsiderate methods I can think of. "Okay, I can't handle this shit anymore so I'm outta here but let me leave you with this one last message. Clean my brains off of the wall will ya?" Yeah, that's what I'd want to leave as my goodbye note.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
10-08-2016, 09:04 PM
Surprisingly -- for most people in the USA -- it's easier to find a gun than a tank of nitrogen...............

I rent tanks of Argon, acetylene and oxygen all the time --- but right off hand - I don't know where I'd get a tank of nitrogen...................

A gun on the other hand -- I can probably name 30 places - and half of those - I know the phone number................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
10-08-2016, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 09:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2016 09:04 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Surprisingly -- for most people in the USA -- it's easier to find a gun than a tank of nitrogen...............

I rent tanks of Argon, acetylene and oxygen all the time --- but right off hand - I don't know where I'd get a tank of nitrogen...................

Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro, many others. Paintball charges. Drinking Beverage

10-08-2016, 09:16 PM
(10-08-2016 09:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 09:04 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Surprisingly -- for most people in the USA -- it's easier to find a gun than a tank of nitrogen...............

Sports Authority, Dick's Sporting Goods, Bass Pro, many others. Paintball charges. Drinking Beverage

Ahhh yeah.... Forgot about that...... Back in the day when I played --- it was all CO2........... Nitrogen was the new kid......

When I started playing - the ONLY gun available was a Splatmaster pistol. (although Daisy quickly came out with their ill-fated 50 caliber revolver).... with 12 gram disposable cartridges -- cigar tube magazines -- and shop goggles......... no face masks - no padding - no armor.........

I knew guys that lost teeth playing -- a close quarters shot to the mouth was no joke.......We chrono'ed Splatmasters at 375 fps on a fresh 12 gram.......

10-08-2016, 11:19 PM
Quote:That's an interesting proposition but it would require some research and mathematics to support it.

The 10,945 firearm homicides in the United States in 2014 equaled a rate of 3.43 per 100,000 people in the population. That was the lowest firearm homicide rate the United States experienced in any of the 34 years from 1981 through 2014, according to data posted by the CDC on its "Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System" (WISQARS).

The second lowest firearm homicide rate was the 3.54 recorded in 2013, when there were 11,208 gun homicides in the country.
You'll have to do the math yourself, I'm just a guitar player.

Quote:"If a person truly wants to die, he will...gun or no gun."

Oh, I most certainly believe a person can will themself to death without the aid of anything else. But it takes one hell of a will. I've only seen one

I was thinking of the case I worked in the jail, where the guy beat his head on the brick wall corner until he died. Or the 14 year old girl who managed too hang herself by tying off a lamp cord, putting a slip knot around her neck, and jumping down the stairs. Where there is a will...
10-08-2016, 11:30 PM
Quote:2. Knock it off with the overkill ---- you don't need a 44 magnum, or a 12 gauge loaded with 3 1/2 inch double ought buckshot. Again -- somebody's gotta clean up the mess... Guarantee it's not going to be you......

Agreed- speaking as a former first responder....gross!

Take a page from the mafia- Mexican and Italian- pick yourself up a .22 pistol and a box of subsonic ammo. The firearm of choice in the cases I worked was the Ruger MK II, but that's your call. Several advantages, some apply here, some do not. To wit: 1. cheap and easy to obtain, relatively speaking. 2. Relatively quiet- add a quick homemade suppressor and it's VERY quiet- use a car oil filter or even a plastic coke bottle filled with toilet paper scraps. 3. very hard to get good ballistic data off of .22 ammo and 4. .22 ammo, particularly subsonic ammo, usually has the power to penetrate the skull but not to exit. Therefore the bullet bounces around in your head making scrambled eggs of your brain, but does not endanger anyone behind you.

It's good to think of others.