Gun Control thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-08-2016, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2016 11:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Gun Control thoughts
(10-08-2016 11:19 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:That's an interesting proposition but it would require some research and mathematics to support it.

The 10,945 firearm homicides in the United States in 2014 equaled a rate of 3.43 per 100,000 people in the population. That was the lowest firearm homicide rate the United States experienced in any of the 34 years from 1981 through 2014, according to data posted by the CDC on its "Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System" (WISQARS).

The second lowest firearm homicide rate was the 3.54 recorded in 2013, when there were 11,208 gun homicides in the country.
You'll have to do the math yourself, I'm just a guitar player.

Quote:"If a person truly wants to die, he will...gun or no gun."

Oh, I most certainly believe a person can will themself to death without the aid of anything else. But it takes one hell of a will. I've only seen one

I was thinking of the case I worked in the jail, where the guy beat his head on the brick wall corner until he died. Or the 14 year old girl who managed too hang herself by tying off a lamp cord, putting a slip knot around her neck, and jumping down the stairs. Where there is a will...

How about someone restrained in a padded cell? Only option I see is suffocation by padding. But what do you do when your mouth and nose don't have access to the padding?

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2016, 11:38 PM
(10-08-2016 11:19 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:That's an interesting proposition but it would require some research and mathematics to support it.

The 10,945 firearm homicides in the United States in 2014 equaled a rate of 3.43 per 100,000 people in the population. That was the lowest firearm homicide rate the United States experienced in any of the 34 years from 1981 through 2014, according to data posted by the CDC on its "Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System" (WISQARS).

The second lowest firearm homicide rate was the 3.54 recorded in 2013, when there were 11,208 gun homicides in the country.

Eyeballing it I'd think there is no statistically significant difference between the two but I would have to look up the distributions to perform a proper two-tailed paired t-test. And I just can't seem to find the give a shit to do that.

#sigh
10-08-2016, 11:41 PM
Quote:I rent tanks of Argon, acetylene and oxygen all the time --- but right off hand - I don't know where I'd get a tank of nitrogen...................

Damn, I would hope not!That's dangerous!

LOL seriously, most places that sell gases for welding sell nitrogen, it is used as a shielding gas in certain situations...I never have, but it is sold at our local welder's supplies. Also, we buy it by the tank from an aviation supply in San Antonio, no license or business required- many aircraft use it to inflate their tires, as it's more stable. You don't get the fluctuations in pressure with ambient temperature. If tires on a retractable geared aircraft swell after the gear retracts, they may wedge in the wells and prevent the gear from extending.

We also use it in suspensions, cars and bikes. Many hotrod shops and bike shops sell it.
10-08-2016, 11:48 PM
Quote: I'd think there is no statistically significant difference between the two but I would have to look up the distributions to perform a proper two-tailed paired t-test. And I just can't seem to find the give a shit to do that.

As written, your statement makes no sense...the article provided the two lowest rates in the period, it did not give any sort of control or even average data. You would have nothing to compare to. But good luck, we're all counting on you.

Personally, I'll be awake all night, like Christmas Eve. (Saturnalia is VERY exciting to me)
10-08-2016, 11:52 PM
(10-08-2016 11:48 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote: I'd think there is no statistically significant difference between the two but I would have to look up the distributions to perform a proper two-tailed paired t-test. And I just can't seem to find the give a shit to do that.

As written, your statement makes no sense...the article provided the two lowest rates in the period, it did not give any sort of control or even average data. You would have nothing to compare to. But good luck, we're all counting on you.

Personally, I'll be awake all night, like Christmas Eve. (Saturnalia is VERY exciting to me)

Point me to the distributions and I'll perform the t-test. Not sure why you can't do this yourself.

#sigh
10-08-2016, 11:54 PM
Quote:How about someone restrained in a padded cell? Only option I see is suffocation by padding. But what do you do when your mouth and nose don't have access to the padding?

Ah, so the prison system isn't expensive enough for you, now we're going to pad all the cells and restrain all of the prisoners? Ah, but you probably mean only the AT RISK prisoners! Of course, in this liberal hell hole, any prisoner who was not restrained and managed to commit suicide, their family would sue the state because Joe was restrained and he's alive, but their Burt was not, which is a clear case of prejudiced law enforcement! After all, Joe had all of his fingers but Burt lost two of his in the Great War (Gulf war one) and now he's repaid by prejudice instead of the help he needed to grow as a person! Obviously those officers were finger-tally biased!
10-08-2016, 11:54 PM
(10-08-2016 11:32 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 11:19 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  The 10,945 firearm homicides in the United States in 2014 equaled a rate of 3.43 per 100,000 people in the population. That was the lowest firearm homicide rate the United States experienced in any of the 34 years from 1981 through 2014, according to data posted by the CDC on its "Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System" (WISQARS).

I was thinking of the case I worked in the jail, where the guy beat his head on the brick wall corner until he died. Or the 14 year old girl who managed too hang herself by tying off a lamp cord, putting a slip knot around her neck, and jumping down the stairs. Where there is a will...

How about someone restrained in a padded cell? Only option I see is suffocation by padding.

I've seen inmates already on suicide watch get pretty creative. Had one pass out after he pissed on his underwear to get them wet then swallowed them in an attempt to choke himself. Probably would have worked if we weren't already keeping an eye on him.

'Murican Canadian
10-08-2016, 11:59 PM
(10-08-2016 11:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-08-2016 11:48 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  As written, your statement makes no sense...the article provided the two lowest rates in the period, it did not give any sort of control or even average data. You would have nothing to compare to. But good luck, we're all counting on you.

Point me to the distributions and I'll perform the t-test. Not sure why you can't do this yourself.

Thinking about it. I don't think I even even need the distributions, just their standard deviations to calculate the p-value. The statisticians here can feel free to smack my ass.

#sigh
10-08-2016, 11:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2016 12:03 AM by The Dark One.)
Quote:Point me to the distributions and I'll perform the t-test. Not sure why you can't do this yourself.

Good grief, girlyboy, you are an argumentative sort, aren't you? Try to follow me here- I'll use the smallest words I know.

If you are trying to find the average decrease in gun related homicides over the period 1981-2014, but all you have is the lowest year, 2014, and the second lowest year, 2013...you cannot figure the average loss. You have no idea what the numbers were for 1981-2012. None whatsoever.

That, my boy, is why I can't do it myself, with the data immediately at hand, which is what we were discussing.

I'm not sure why the holier-than-thou attitude, but it's hilarious- keep it up! (Odd for an atheist, but...hilarious!)

I just realized...you are probably a proponent of common-core math! No wonder you believe you can find the answer! My apologies, I certainly did not mean to ruin your fantasy. After all, if you aren't good at math...change the rules!
11-08-2016, 12:02 AM
(10-08-2016 11:59 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  
Quote:Point me to the distributions and I'll perform the t-test. Not sure why you can't do this yourself.

Good grief, girlyboy, you are an argumentative sort, aren't you? Try to follow me here- I'll use the smallest words I know.

If you are trying to find the average decrease in gun related homicides over the period 1981-2014, but all you have is the lowest year, 2014, and the second lowest year, 2013...you cannot figure the average loss. You have no idea what the numbers were for 1981-2012. None whatsoever.

That, my boy, is why I can't do it myself, with the data immediately at hand, which is what we were discussing.

I'm not sure why the holier-than-thou attitude, but it's hilarious- keep it up! (Odd for an atheist, but...hilarious!)

Statistically significant differences is not a concept you are familiar with, is it? Just checking.

#sigh