Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 12:24 PM
RE: Gun Control
(09-07-2013 12:21 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 12:16 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm also not sure how you draw the correlation between having a culture that glorifies violence and one that practices it because of that. I'm also not sure I would say we have a culture that glorifies violence.

For instance, if you look at countries where violent video games are allowed, there has been a correlation with decreased violence overall. It seems that having an outlet that is not reality, means people can indulge in their natural instincts without giving harm to other people.

This would also work the same for romance novels and mystery/murder theater, etc.

Hollywood and TV. It's where the young and impressionable learn how the world should work....or how they figure people should think it should work.

The Jersey Shore has done much more damage than Pulp Fiction.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
09-07-2013, 12:31 PM
(09-07-2013 12:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 12:21 PM)Julius Wrote:  Hollywood and TV. It's where the young and impressionable learn how the world should work....or how they figure people should think it should work.

The Jersey Shore has done much more damage than Pulp Fiction.

Ah yes...The Jersey Shore: the "Ascendency of the Arsehole".

Ya' know, I'd like to see those kids spend a couple of weeks bar-hopping in East LA - or some other predominantly Mexican community where the Arsehole is not tolerated.

BTW, the Mexican word for "Arsehole" is pronounced "Corpse".
[+] 2 users Like Julius's post
10-07-2013, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 02:45 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
(09-07-2013 09:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's also worth noting that we are 3 days shy of this post
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid322990
being a month old without an actual reply, let alone the subsequent posts (including the ones about assuming that some mysterious admin was taking sides). Drinking Beverage

2 days shy of a month with no response to this or subsequent posts... Drinking Beverage

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Being in a state with open-carry , this is my view.

Twenty good people in a mall with guns, two potential mass murderers ...think of the outcome. Obviously they could stop the two others.

Guns are good protection and needed.

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
11-07-2013, 03:50 AM
(10-07-2013 11:36 PM)WeasleyFromTheShire Wrote:  Being in a state with open-carry , this is my view.

Twenty good people in a mall with guns, two potential mass murderers ...think of the outcome. Obviously they could stop the two others.

You should really read previous posts before you come to that conclusion. Statistics demonstrate why this is a slippery slope.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
11-07-2013, 08:08 AM
(10-07-2013 11:36 PM)WeasleyFromTheShire Wrote:  Being in a state with open-carry , this is my view.

Here is what I think when this scenario is presented to me. What if these mass murderers had never been able to get these weapons in the first place?

If these weapons are guns, then it is something that is potentially preventable.

If these weapons are bombs, then killing them would be after the fact and completely useless.

I just don't hear a compelling argument for not amending gun laws in anything you said.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-07-2013, 12:35 PM

The odds that I'll get killed by a Mass Murderer with a gun are less than being struck by lightening. I mean, by that logic shouldn't I also consider carrying a lightening rod, too?

However, there are some situations where people need guns, and that's when it's really good to have one. Mostly, I try to stay out of situations where I might need a gun - but that's not all the time. So...sometimes I carry.

Julius
[+] 1 user Likes Julius's post
11-07-2013, 01:26 PM
(10-07-2013 02:34 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 09:07 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's also worth noting that we are 3 days shy of this post
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid322990
being a month old without an actual reply, let alone the subsequent posts (including the ones about assuming that some mysterious admin was taking sides). Drinking Beverage

2 days shy of a month with no response to this or subsequent posts... Drinking Beverage

1 day...

—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-07-2013, 10:54 PM
(11-07-2013 03:50 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

You should really read previous posts before you come to that conclusion. Statistics demonstrate why this is a slippery slope.

I see the negative effects. There has to be restrictions. Like Biden said , " Just get a shotgun" .

" My friends. You bow to no one. " - Aragorn

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows. " — Samuel Clemens

Simple....buy low, sell high.

Life in Rivendell is nice .
12-07-2013, 06:36 AM
(11-07-2013 10:54 PM)WeasleyFromTheShire Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 03:50 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  You should really read previous posts before you come to that conclusion. Statistics demonstrate why this is a slippery slope.

I see the negative effects. There has to be restrictions. Like Biden said , " Just get a shotgun" .

No, I mean that the individual who is well-intentioned with the firearm is more likely to harm innocent civilians and get himself killed than he is actually shooting the assailants.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]