Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Re: Gun Control
I've started a discussion on guns on a Christian forum and I swear, I may as well be talking to Phaedrus and TBK. But I'm sure the correlation and similarity are coincidence...

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: Gun Control
There are people out there who won't be happy unless guns and ammunition are as easy to get as a Milky Way. Anything that stands in the way of that is simply fascism. I've seen them get reeeeeeeal pissed about the topic as well. I thought people lose their shit over abortion but guns makes that look like a friendly chat...

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, religion is answers that may never be questioned"
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist in Westeros's post
29-07-2013, 06:08 PM
In all fairness, I've started it on two different christian Forums and gotten the replies I've gotten here.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-07-2013, 06:11 PM
(29-07-2013 06:08 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  In all fairness, I've started it on two different christian Forums and gotten the replies I've gotten here.

Including some calm, intelligent ones? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Unfortunately, none on the gun advocate side as I've found here.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Its worse when you are a "moderate" on gun issues, than the gun nuts and gun haters both jump in your face. Real tiresome.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest" - Denis Diderot

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered, religion is answers that may never be questioned"
[+] 2 users Like Atheist in Westeros's post
29-07-2013, 06:41 PM
I get responses like this.

" My proficiency with a firearm is not a requirement to exercise my right anymore than speaking well is a requirement to exercise the right of speech.
Quite frankly I could care less that you know me not at all as a prerequisite to my owning a 44 magmun. Your opinion of me is not my concern.
I don't have a criminal record, might have broken a few hearts though, but that's not held agsinst me as s gun owner.

If you think i'm going to pay hundreds of dollars for something that I have no interest in learning about then I'm afraid you have the wrong opinion that I can spend $1,000 on something just for a whim.

Here again we get into "feelings" rather than the laws that society is based upon. You may feel some way but ifeelings do not hold societies together.

I like guns. I like fast cars and I like Double Whoopers with cheese. One could say I like some dangerous things. Some people like big dogs, I don't. Some like a lot of dangerous things that if used wrong can indeed hurt people. "

—Thomas Henry Huxley
29-07-2013, 07:00 PM

Amazing the insight the show has.

29-07-2013, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 29-07-2013 07:36 PM by ridethespiral.)
So first as a disclaimer let me say tl;dr.

I'm bored tonight so I figure I might as well make known my opinion on what is probably the only actively controversial thread I haven't touched....

I'm a pro gun moderate. I was in the gun/bow club as a kid (in NJ which is pretty rare) and I learned how to shoot, how to respect guns, where and how to store them, use them, point them, clean them, load them. I don't own any ATM (too lazy really) but I do/have shot other peoples guns.

I am for licensing, I need one to ride a motor cycle and you need one to shoot a gun (at least here in the North East). You should have to demonstrate knowledge and respect before you are allowed to acquire a gun.

I fully support a wait period and really a class or a licensing test could double as one.

I might support clip limits depend on the type of gun/size of magazine.

I don't support assault riffle bans, people are just going to make them or buy theme illegally, massacre-ists are just as dangerous without them.

Guns really are important not because anyone can realistically have an armed rebellion against the US military (jeeze the Philly PD could quite literally level my whole block, I don't want to know what the guard can do.) but because I can conceive of so many situations in which there would be no effective law enforcement, from a solar flare, famine, plague, destabilization from global warming, foreign attack, whatever and you should be able to uphold the law as it pertains to your personal safety and survival. Formerly civilian firearm enthusiasts saved Stalingrad from Hitlers army in a months long sniper battle.

There is and will always be a black market for guns and prohibitions of anything serves to strengthen a black market and leads to organized crime and violence, which leads to escalation, which feeds the firearm black market in a deadly reverberation.

One must consider the wellfare of rural America, there are many, many Americans living in one sherif towns where response to a home invasion could take 45 minutes and nobody can hear you scream. These same people regularly encounter bears, coyotes and mountain lions.

Consider recreational shooters like myself, especially for rural populations shooting is the one of a small set of activities. Thousands of people do it safely and regularly.

Hunting is a long held human tradition, it prevents deer from killing and being killed on the highway. Venison is a sustainable 'green' food, and it's leaner than beef.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-07-2013, 07:33 PM
I can get behind most of this. The important bit is noting that some measure of control and better legislation is needed for such a dangerous object being handled by humans.

Cheers
ABeard

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post